Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Wes back in contention

Thanks for the link Nutty.

Good interview I thought. Hughton was definitely trying to suppress a smile when asked about his conversations with Wes. Oh to have been the proverbial fly ...

Thanks + that was a good interview, I just don''t get why anyone might call Hootun a fool that''s one thing he clearly isn''t.Good management too, Wes is here, there was a problem the problem has been sorted and Wesley is in the running for a place against the Champions elect who''d have thunk that a week ago? I see it as Hootun being a good manager and a man looking to maximise the resources available to the club in this 14 game run in. Wesley available and possibly with a point to prove is to be regarded as a good addition to a squad which could very easily have been one further player light. Had the roles been reversed and hootun had tried to tap him up from Lambert I don''t think Wes would have been playing again this season, not in the Prem anyway..... [:)]

or maybe Hoolahan has brought to light a number of problems at the club concerning players

If there is one certaint that is Hughton is a yesman, and this has all the hall marks of him being given a slap on the wrist by the board

quite a bit of loss of face to be honest, just as with Becchio when he kicked off and was then on the pitch - this may be a far bigger turning point that some would imagine

[quote user="City1st"]or maybe Hoolahan has brought to light a number of problems at the club concerning players

If there is one certaint that is Hughton is a yesman, and this has all the hall marks of him being given a slap on the wrist by the board

quite a bit of loss of face to be honest, just as with Becchio when he kicked off and was then on the pitch - this may be a far bigger turning point that some would imagine[/quote].. or, maybe, he hasn''t because none existsuch as?he''s not on the pitch yet - he''s in the squad

[quote user="City1st"]or maybe Hoolahan has brought to light a number of problems at the club concerning players

quite a bit of loss of face to be honest, just as with Becchio when he kicked off and was then on the pitch - this may be a far bigger turning point that some would imagine[/quote]

Except that Hoolahan''s spat wasn''t with Hughton.

"he''s not on the pitch yet - he''s in the squad"

where did I say he was ?

Cheers Eddie for that, I had mixed feelings about the scandal that was ''Wes-gate'' but Chris Hughton appears to have dealt with a potentially awkward situation very well. He certainly has a very calm and intelligent way about himself. Wes to start on Saturday anyone? And how do you think everyone inside Carrow Rd will respond to him if he does make an appearance?.

"Except that Hoolahan''s spat wasn''t with Hughton"

what ! ! !

Hughton was the problem here and has been publically humiliated, again

The board have backed Hoolahan over Hughton

Any manager with guts or integrity would have walked ... when the board is picking the team it spells trouble

[quote user="Alex "]Cheers Eddie for that, I had mixed feelings about the scandal that was ''Wes-gate'' but Chris Hughton appears to have dealt with a potentially awkward situation very well. He certainly has a very calm and intelligent way about himself. Wes to start on Saturday anyone? And how do you think everyone inside Carrow Rd will respond to him if he does make an appearance?.[/quote]Using City 1st''s logic - or lack of, depending how you view it, perhaps the qestion should be, "Will the Board select Wes on Saturday?"A forgiving lot, I think the fans will give him a loud cheer - if  he does play - which will be spun on here as "Hughton Out" ammunition.

[quote user="City1st"]"Except that Hoolahan''s spat wasn''t with Hughton"

what ! ! !

Hughton was the problem here and has been publically humiliated, again

The board have backed Hoolahan over Hughton

Any manager with guts or integrity would have walked ... when the board is picking the team it spells trouble[/quote]

Cuckoo Cuckoo

So, exactly how has Chris Hughton been "publicly humiliated,again"? Please explain, and also please enlighten me as to when he was previously publicly humiliated?

and........please explain how you know "the board is picking the team"?..............I think many of us on here are really very interested in hearing the detail?  

If Hughton plays the fans will support him, I think. They were singing his name against Newcastle. If he plays well and makes a different like against Man Utd, that''s all is fans want, especially if we start winning games that''s sees us safe.

[quote user="Yellow Bird"]If Hughton plays the fans will support him, I think. They were singing his name against Newcastle. If he plays well and makes a different like against Man Utd, that''s all is fans want, especially if we start winning games that''s sees us safe.[/quote]That is more about the skewed logic of "Any player who isn''t getting a game is world class, and clearly our saviour" though. It shall be known as "foxing" from this day on.The reality is that Wes has, maybe, one good game in three these days, and he will be nothing but a bit part player from now on, much the same as he has been for most of the season.

Wes has fantastic ability, and is obviously frustrated, like Becchio, about his lack of game time. If he''s not playing then why is he here? Give him some game time and he will reward you with chances and goals (hopefully!). Hughton hasn''t really got the hang of squad rotation yet by the look of things.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Yellow Bird"]If Hughton plays the fans will support him, I think. They were singing his name against Newcastle. If he plays well and makes a different like against Man Utd, that''s all is fans want, especially if we start winning games that''s sees us safe.[/quote]That is more about the skewed logic of "Any player who isn''t getting a game is world class, and clearly our saviour" though. It shall be known as "foxing" from this day on.The reality is that Wes has, maybe, one good game in three these days, and he will be nothing but a bit part player from now on, much the same as he has been for most of the season.[/quote]

Well, he must be due a good game then, as he hasn''t played for about 4 or 5 games if your logic that he has one good game in three is anything to go by

Be interesting to see how many fans would be in favour of him making an appearance tomorrow. I, for one, would,

To be honest this interview did not tell us anything we did not know (or at the very least taken an educated guess at) already.CH did not really state any specifics. Not would I expect him to in a staged press conference like that. All he said was that Wes had trained well (whatever that means), and was available for selection. Pretty much what we''d expect him to say, surely ? OK ; Wes is back in the squad. Presumably on a Thursday he always was. The clincher is whether he gets on the bench or even gets to play tomorrow. Then we''ll see what sort of new leaf has been turned over.In reference to someone''s earlier comment that people take CH for a fool.... well I don''t think anyone HAS ever suggested that. It''s his ability as a manager and a coach that''s in question.

If anyone thinks Wes is key to any success we might have over the next few weeks I think they are clutching at straws.  He is able to provide a level of skill that can be pleasing to the eye and on a good day can provide the odd chance, but the combinations we have in midfield are the problem, not individual players and Wes is not the answer there.To me it seems that the plan all along has been to play 4411 with Hooper playing behind RVW. Sure Hoolahan can play that withdrawn role, but with Elmander in the mix there - who is an effective player in that position - Wes is always going to be third choice.   Wes I think will always be a popular figure at CR and will make cameo appearances, but to use him a reason to get at Hughton is not going to be helpful to anyone as Wes  is not the answer to our problems.

So from the replies it seems the vast majority would like to see Wes get some game time tomorrow, if not start. I think that if eithers the case, he will get one hell of a reception - and that could be the catylyst to getting, as LDC put it, Carrow Rd rocking which in turn will hopefully give the players an extra ?% to their play.

I personally don''t think Wes really meant what he said about NCFC - a heat of the moment comment summing up his frustration, but deep down i believe he''s very fond of a club that has become a big part of his life.

Very pleased he''s still here... Onwards.

[quote user="lake district canary"]If anyone thinks Wes is key to any success we might have over the next few weeks I think they are clutching at straws.  He is able to provide a level of skill that can be pleasing to the eye and on a good day can provide the odd chance, but the combinations we have in midfield are the problem, not individual players and Wes is not the answer there.

[/quote]Blimey..do my eyes deceive me ?   Reggie in ''agrees 100% with Lakey'' shocker .......As long as CH remains manager of this club, it''s up to him to put out the team he thinks is most likely to get results. And, however the Hughton apolgists dress it up with ''minutes appearances on the bench'' and all that sort of totally irrelevant guff, the fact is he has not really featured under Hughton this season. So why is it any more likely , after all that''s happened ,that he''s suddenly going to be a big player for us in what remains of Feb and Mar/Apr ?Lakey is right...the problem is in our midfield, and when Wes has been played there, he''s looked distinctly ordinary. Not his forté. Personally, I doubt if he''ll even be on the bench tomorrow.

lake district canary wrote:

If anyone thinks Wes is key to any success we might have over the next few weeks I think they are clutching at straws. He is able to provide a level of skill that can be pleasing to the eye and on a good day can provide the odd chance, but the combinations we have in midfield are the problem, not individual players and Wes is not the answer there.

To me it seems that the plan all along has been to play 4411 with Hooper playing behind RVW. Sure Hoolahan can play that withdrawn role, but with Elmander in the mix there - who is an effective player in that position - Wes is always going to be third choice.

Wes I think will always be a popular figure at CR and will make cameo appearances, but to use him a reason to get at Hughton is not going to be helpful to anyone as Wes is not the answer to our problems.

................................................................................

Why not he''s done it in he past

I don''t think Hughton will pick Hoolahan tomorrow - but that''s been the problem from the very beginning.

Up to this point this season - Hughton - like yourself has considered Hoolahan the 3rd or 4th choice in that position behind the striker.

That''s why we''re in trouble with so few points - Hoolahan has not played enough games for us.

Are you able to explain to me why every time we are in a dire situation it is due to Hoolahan not been in the team. It is no coincidence that when he is brought back into the team, we perform better & get results. When a crisis is averted and we are safe - there are many on these boards that do not realise why or how it happened.

This season Hughton has supposedly brought in better players - including 12m on 2 strikers - if he played Hoolahan in front of these players how is he going to justify bringing in these players or spending all that money ?

Is it Hughton''s fault when people are demanding he builds the team with better players each season ?

They''re not bad players but everyone has underestimated the quality of the opposition.

Hughton is going to continue playing his recruits until we are relegated !

Hoolahan is a key player for us and Hughton needs to play him if we have any chance of surviving.

If he doesn''t then our survival will rely solely on LUCK.

I think Hughton is foolish enough not play him.