Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

What would be an acceptable result against Man City?

I never go in for the ''respectable defeat'' idea, but lets face it, Manchester City are a special team who can wipe the floor with anyone. I would be truly and utterly astounded if they didnt beat us, so if a defeat is likely, what would be an acceptable margin? I think 5-0 would probably be par for the course so anything better than this is probably a good result. The way the players gave up in the game at the Etihad was the most worrying thing though. If we can stop them from scoring early that might be the key to the game, if they get a goal early and the team think ''well thats it, game over'', another tonking might well be on the cards.

Man City are a freak of a team, and considering its them, I think a brave 4 or 5 nil defeat would be acceptable and we move on to the next game. What do others think?

This reminds me of the Ripping Yarns football episode when his team get stuffed and he comes in the door and throws some crockery against the wall shouting "8-0...8 bloody nil...".

Agree tho, if it''s below 5 to them, that''s ok.  In the end, the most important thing for me is that we leave 1p5wich with their precious record for heaviest Prem defeat.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]

I never go in for the ''respectable defeat'' idea, but lets face it, Manchester City are a special team who can wipe the floor with anyone. I would be truly and utterly astounded if they didnt beat us, so if a defeat is likely, what would be an acceptable margin? I think 5-0 would probably be par for the course so anything better than this is probably a good result. The way the players gave up in the game at the Etihad was the most worrying thing though. If we can stop them from scoring early that might be the key to the game, if they get a goal early and the team think ''well thats it, game over'', another tonking might well be on the cards.

Man City are a freak of a team, and considering its them, I think a brave 4 or 5 nil defeat would be acceptable and we move on to the next game. What do others think?

[/quote]

Sorry but I cannot see how any fan would find this acceptable against their own side, thats so wrong.

My god this is rediculous!!

How can you say a 4 or 5-0 loss is acceptable!?

That''s not realistic, it''s negative! You sound like Hughton. Man City have no given right to just turn up and win. If we do the things that we are good at well and we have a team playing to their capabilities and they have a few players under performing we can get a result.

We need to make it as difficult and as uncomfortable for man city as possible.

If this was an away game I could just about understand where your coming from, but at home.... No way!

They are not as prolific away as they are at home with 26 goals in 12 away games.

So personally any more than a 2/3 goal margin of defeat would be disappointing, especially if we fail to score.

Would prefer to judge the team on whether they put in an acceptable performance over whether it was an acceptable result or not against a top four side..

Given the history and the two squads and managers, I would imagine a win to be out of the question, and we are really looking at damage limitation. Anything better than a 3-0 defeat would be pretty good, I think.

Another question might be, what result would cause uproar at Carrow Road. I think a defeat in excess of 3.0 would result in a caustic reaction from the fans and one that Hughton may not recover from!

A decent performance and a 2-0 defeat would probably be enough to convince everyone Hughton is the right man. However, any defeat should see Hughton sacked. It really is now time that happened.

If it has to be a defeat, and that is a realistic outcomer, it will be the manner of the defeat which will be important for me. If we go down fighting, that will be acceptable imo.Moo

A decent performance with no mistakes.

As a result if we''re beaten, then we were beaten by the best. If we play well, we give ourselves a chance of getting something

I would accept a very welcome point thanks.......that''s not impossible, but very challenging...............as I mentioned in another thread.....in this instance I really dont mind if we park the bus......even two buses to avoid a tonking, as even though many are expecting a tonking it really would damage morale and unfortunately that minority would almost get off on it sadly..... 

This thread is an prime example of the "Hughton effect" permeating every element of the club. Not only does it shine through in how we play against teams this season but it has now spread quite widely amongst the fans.

We are a premier league team. We are playing at home. We have good players. For our fans to be going into the game saying a 4 or 5 goal defeat or even 2 or 3 goal defeat is acceptable beggars belief and is frankly depressing.

Do I expect to beat Manchester City? No. Can we beat Manchester City? Yes. What will be acceptable? A decent performance where I feel we have played to the best of our ability. If that''s not good enough then so be it but I''d like to think that we can make life difficult for them if we are on our game.

I know the Lambert word is a dirty word but we as fans we t into every game under him thinking we could win. We didn''t always win, but we believed we could.

Its about time we scored more than one goal, so if we lost by the odd goal and made a good game of it, I might even be proud of our team. If we fall apart and concede some easy goals, it won''t be acceptable. We have to put up a fight and start finding the back of the net.

We just don''t seem to have the bottle, fight and tactical awareness to compete against the top clubs, which is the managers, coaches and players fault collectively. Is Hughton getting the best out of his players? Are they being instructed to play the way they have been? Are they being played out of position? Is it the wrong formation and the wrong selections? Can Hughton motivate these players?

I''m not 100% sure what the answer is to those questions, but what I do know is that the players have little confidence and most are underperforming.

We have very little creativity in the side and not much pace apart from Redmond. We''ve missed Howson and Tettey but I''m sure there have been games when Hoolahan could have played a part when he hasn''t been considered.

If we get anything from the Man City game I''ll be very surprised. I hope it is not as uncomfortable as I am expecting.

[quote user="swjf50"]Its about time we scored more than one goal, so if we lost by the odd goal and made a good game of it, I might even be proud of our team. If we fall apart and concede some easy goals, it won''t be acceptable. We have to put up a fight and start finding the back of the net.

We just don''t seem to have the bottle, fight and tactical awareness to compete against the top clubs, which is the managers, coaches and players fault collectively. Is Hughton getting the best out of his players? Are they being instructed to play the way they have been? Are they being played out of position? Is it the wrong formation and the wrong selections? Can Hughton motivate these players?

I''m not 100% sure what the answer is to those questions, but what I do know is that the players have little confidence and most are underperforming.

We have very little creativity in the side and not much pace apart from Redmond. We''ve missed Howson and Tettey but I''m sure there have been games when Hoolahan could have played a part when he hasn''t been considered.

If we get anything from the Man City game I''ll be very surprised. I hope it is not as uncomfortable as I am expecting.[/quote]

This,

I don''t expect anything from the game but to get some goals with do the world of good for the following games.

We can get thrashed playing to win and also playing to contain so may as well go for the win.

They lost 3-2 away at cardiff and at villa so although highly unlikely is this not the sort of result we should be going for.

realistically i think we''ll lose 0-5 but i lost my faith in our team a long while ago.

Really, 5-0 acceptable? I hope Hughton has higher ambitions than you guy''s.

Anyway, i don''t really think it''s the result which has to be acceptable, it''s the performance. Unless it''s a crap performance with a 1-0 win - then that''s more than acceptable!

But to, before a ball has been kicked claim 5-0 as a good result...dear me. Little Norwich indeed.

Its not so much that 5-0 would be all we could achieve, but more a result we could not get too upset about. If we lost 5-0 to Stoke that would induce outrage. But Im not sure we could fairly become outraged by such a loss to Man City, as they are a special entity. I think if we lost 5-0 to Stoke on Saturday, there would well be calls for Hughtons head, and it might even be listened to. But I doubt whether any tonking by Man City would cost Hughton his job

[quote user="hogesar"]Really, 5-0 acceptable? I hope Hughton has higher ambitions than you guy''s. Anyway, i don''t really think it''s the result which has to be acceptable, it''s the performance. Unless it''s a crap performance with a 1-0 win - then that''s more than acceptable! But to, before a ball has been kicked claim 5-0 as a good result...dear me. Little Norwich indeed.[/quote]

Ok these are different words Hogesar  ... They don''t all mean the same thing.

Ambition = what I''d like the result to be. My ambition for the game is a win.  Don''t care if we play rubbish and win 1-0 with their goalie kicking the ball against a defender and it bounces in the goal like Ruddy vs Notts Forest a few years back.

Good result = what I would view as a good result from the game.  A win or a draw would be a good result for me.  Losing would not be a good result.

Acceptable = what I can live with, without wanting to smash some crockery.  A 5-0 loss, or anything below that, is acceptable for me.

Clear now ?

A 5-0 reverse is hardly acceptable but Sat is all about damage limitation surely ? I think there''ll probably will be at least a four goal margin so anything less and I''ll be reasonably content.After that 7-0 annihilation at the Etihad I wonder what''s going through the players minds about this match ? Despite all the usual '' it''s only 11 v 11 '' bluster they''ll come out with beforehand they must be a little worried that they could end up on the wrong end of a cricket score. With West Ham coming up on Tue I hope that whatever the result on Sat it isn''t such a downer that they''re mentally beaten before kick-off at Upton Park.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Its not so much that 5-0 would be all we could achieve, but more a result we could not get too upset about. If we lost 5-0 to Stoke that would induce outrage. But Im not sure we could fairly become outraged by such a loss to Man City, as they are a special entity. I think if we lost 5-0 to Stoke on Saturday, there would well be calls for Hughtons head, and it might even be listened to. But I doubt whether any tonking by Man City would cost Hughton his job[/quote]

They are not 2a special entity" and I will get upset about my team losing 5-0 to anyone. Losing is acceptable if we play as well as we can and put up a fight. They got outplayed by Chelsea who we matched for most of the game at Carrow Road. No reason why we cannot put in a similar level of performance tomorrow.

You sound like bl**dy Hughton with your starry eyed adoration of Man City!

Aguero is the player that has hurt us most in games v Man City and also their best player. He is out. So is Nasri. So is Fernandinho.

Ok they still have good players in all positions but if we go into the game with the attitude of some on here we are beaten before we even step on the pitch. We have critcised the manager for doing this at times so lets not all fall into the same trap. At the risk of sounding like LDC we need to believe we can get something.

"we really struggle with small diminuitive forwards"

struggle to play them, a la Hoolahan