Sign in to follow this  
Matt Juler

Chris Hughton ‘surprised’ by Michael Laudrup’s culling at Swansea City

It worries me that Hughton is surprised by Laudrup''s sacking.  He talks about how they are in 12th place and uses this in his argument for why the sacking is unjust.  Luckily for Swansea City, their board are looking at the points and not the league places.http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/norwich_city_s_chris_hughton_surprised_by_michael_laudrup_s_culling_at_swansea_city_1_3289040

[quote user="Matt Juler"]It worries me that Hughton is surprised by Laudrup''s sacking.  He talks about how they are in 12th place and uses this in his argument for why the sacking is unjust.  Luckily for Swansea City, their board are looking at the points and not the league places.http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/norwich_city_s_chris_hughton_surprised_by_michael_laudrup_s_culling_at_swansea_city_1_3289040[/quote]If you actually read a bit more about it, its not just about the points either.

Hughton''s interviews always include a self preservation line such as how close we are to 10th or how we are surrounded by more established clubs.

Despite the fact he is a "nice guy" make no mistake this is a guy who knows how to dig in!

Many posters on this board were surprised by Laudrup''s sacking and it sounds to me from what has come out in the press it was largely driven by off-the-field issues rather than simply the league performance.

So I''d say Hughton simply feels similarly to people at large.

And it''s hardly a surprise that managers usually react negatively to other managers being sacked - not exactly rocket science is it ?

The "in" and "out" camps aren''t blocks who all have the same view on everything.

When Laudrup was sacked, quite a few posters reacted by saying he should be brought in as a replacement for Hughton.  And some said Norwich should follow Swansea''s line by sacking the manager.  Which strikes me as inconsistent - if Swansea were right to sack Laudrup, why should we appoint him ?

I''m not too interested in Swansea but from the stuff I''ve skimmed about it I think the off-the-field stuff explains the manager being sacked, which otherwise would be a bit surprising.  While there have been a few rumblings at City, I''ve not seen anything like what is being talked about under Laudrup at Swansea where it seems the Board have basicaly been unhappy with Laudrup for quite some time.

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]

The "in" and "out" camps aren''t blocks who all have the same view on everything.

When Laudrup was sacked, quite a few posters reacted by saying he should be brought in as a replacement for Hughton.  And some said Norwich should follow Swansea''s line by sacking the manager.  Which strikes me as inconsistent - if Swansea were right to sack Laudrup, why should we appoint him ?

I''m not too interested in Swansea but from the stuff I''ve skimmed about it I think the off-the-field stuff explains the manager being sacked, which otherwise would be a bit surprising.  While there have been a few rumblings at City, I''ve not seen anything like what is being talked about under Laudrup at Swansea where it seems the Board have basicaly been unhappy with Laudrup for quite some time.

[/quote]

That''s exactly right. Remeber it wasn''t that long ago that Swansea banned Laudrup''s agent from coming to the training ground or stadium due to him trying to arrange a deal with Chelsea.

Laudrup has fallen out with the board at every club he''s been at, and whilst up until now many have blamed that on the clubs rather than him, it''s hard to make that case about Swansea - who are one of the best runs clubs in Europe.

[quote user="Matt Juler"]It worries me that Hughton is surprised by Laudrup''s sacking.  He talks about how they are in 12th place and uses this in his argument for why the sacking is unjust.  Luckily for Swansea City, their board are looking at the points and not the league places.

http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/norwich_city_s_chris_hughton_surprised_by_michael_laudrup_s_culling_at_swansea_city_1_3289040
[/quote]

It worries me that you''ve read that article and managed to completely draw the wrong conclusion, he said he was "surprised at the timing" of the sacking, he went on to say

“It is very difficult to comment too much on it without knowing the specific circumstances. What I do know though is Michael has done a really good job there in the period he was there. He has won a cup competition, they are playing in the Europa League this season and I think they are 12th. I was very disappointed for Michael for what he achieved there last season.”

The first sentence seems pretty fair as does the rest of the quote.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

[quote user="Matt Juler"]It worries me that Hughton is surprised by Laudrup''s sacking.  He talks about how they are in 12th place and uses this in his argument for why the sacking is unjust.  Luckily for Swansea City, their board are looking at the points and not the league places.http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/norwich_city_s_chris_hughton_surprised_by_michael_laudrup_s_culling_at_swansea_city_1_3289040[/quote]

It worries me that you''ve read that article and managed to completely draw the wrong conclusion, he said he was "surprised at the timing" of the sacking, he went on to say

“It is very difficult to comment too much on it without knowing the specific circumstances. What I do know though is Michael has done a really good job there in the period he was there. He has won a cup competition, they are playing in the Europa League this season and I think they are 12th. I was very disappointed for Michael for what he achieved there last season.

[/quote]You can''t deny that he uses their position in the league in his counter argument.  The last sentence is also a worry, it''s about this season, not last season (like our 10 game unbeaten run etc. etc.). 

[quote user="Matt Juler"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[quote user="Matt Juler"]It worries me that Hughton is surprised by Laudrup''s sacking.  He talks about how they are in 12th place and uses this in his argument for why the sacking is unjust.  Luckily for Swansea City, their board are looking at the points and not the league places.

http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/norwich_city_s_chris_hughton_surprised_by_michael_laudrup_s_culling_at_swansea_city_1_3289040
[/quote]

“It is very difficult to comment too much on it without knowing the specific circumstances. What I do know though is Michael has done a really good job there in the period he was there. He has won a cup competition, they are playing in the Europa League this season and I think they are 12th. I was very disappointed for Michael for what he achieved there last season.

[/quote]You can''t deny that he uses their position in the league in his counter argument.  The last sentence is also a worry, it''s about this season, not last season (like our 10 game unbeaten run etc. etc.). 
[/quote]

What ''argument'' is he countering, he was surprised at the timing.

You can''t justify getting the first bit wrong by taking another line in the quote in isolation, try and be a bit fairer, he was giving an honest reply to a question in a press conference about a fellow member of the LMA who''s just been sacked.

I notice that in the same article Iwan Roberts also said he was ''surprised at the timing'', did that worry you as well?

[quote user="can u sit down please"]I know it works both ways but the hughton inners are buying into the dressing room unrest at Swansea and denying anything has happened here.[/quote]
While outers do the opposite to suit them...