Sign in to follow this  
Patches OHoolahan

If the worst were to happen...

Putting to side the Hughton debate, if the worst were to happen and we did get relegated, what do people think our squad would look like next season? I for one would be excited to see more of our youngsters, and could imagine the likes of Martin staying on, but I could also see us being raided by clubs for a lot of our players who, when looked at individually, have Premier League quality. In particular I''m talking about Ruddy, Bassong, Fer, Howson, Snodgrass and Pilkington and I''m sure others.

I''d be surprised if that were the case at all, thing about relegated teams is that they get relegated for a reason. You don''t see many prem clubs queueing up for relegated teams players.

If we went down I''d see Ruddy and Hooper going, RVW prob.

I think we''d see a mass exodus. The players have clauses written into their contracts regarding decreased wages upon relegation. I''d expect Ruddy, Bassong, Snodgrass, Pilkington, Fer, Hooper and RWV to leave.

Of the 25 man squad i reckon we would only have half a dozen left. We have many good players which is the frustration with our league position and most would get jobs in the premiership or overseas

I don''t think relegation is actually the worst thing to happen.

What about a giant meteor hitting earth in the 90th minutes when we''re about the beat Ipswich in the FA Cup final (in 2134)?

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I don''t think relegation is actually the worst thing to happen.

What about a giant meteor hitting earth in the 90th minutes when we''re about the beat Ipswich in the FA Cup final (in 2134)?[/quote]The ref would have to report the Town fans for throwing something on the pitch and award us a free kick......

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I don''t think relegation is actually the worst thing to happen.

What about a giant meteor hitting earth in the 90th minutes when we''re about the beat Ipswich in the FA Cup final (in 2134)?[/quote]If you tried to tell a Binner their club would be out of existence by 2134 they''d probably say they weren''t all that surprised and at least they''ll be able to watch the rugby tomorrow instead.[:S]

I think Hughton would have to leave the club. Many players would leave. We''d be in a mess. The Lambert years would largely be wasted.

The silly thing is, it''s very likely this could happen. If only the board had seen earlier what many fans have been seeing for 12-14 months.

[quote user="YellowNets1901"]I think Hughton would have to leave the club. Many players would leave. We''d be in a mess. The Lambert years would largely be wasted.

The silly thing is, it''s very likely this could happen. If only the board had seen earlier what many fans have been seeing for 12-14 months.[/quote]Funny that.Fans know better than people who actually run a Premiership football club for a living.

[quote user="dean"]Many fans know better than you Morty. That''s for sure. You''ll see come May.[/quote]Ooh, can we play a game of "I told you so" then?

If we were relegated, and just like for the other nine or ten clubs in the bottom half of the EPL, that is a possibility.......I really dont see it being the disaster some think it will be, unlike some of the other clubs. I say this believing that the Board will have a plan in place that accomodates the possibility and also now knowing that the huge debt is not hanging round the club''s neck.

Sure we will lose some players, but some will stay and form the nucleus of our new squad together with players with the right credentials to mount a challenge out of The Championship and a few great youngsters too of course......a squad that I personally would expect to bounce back within two seasons, if not immediately.....and why not.  

During these years of our Club''s evolvement after bottoming out into the First Division, it is always going to be a possibility that we could drop down into the Championship........it may happen a couple of times over the next few years........and that''s the reality of following a club with our limited means.......BUT, of course it may well not happen and the evolvement could take place wholly in the EPL, something that we all wish for and I am banking on happening!  

There have been vultures picking over the carcass over the last month or so bids are enquiries about Snodgrass, Pilks and Wes, perhaps others.

I think that we can assume that to these three could be added Ruddy, Howson, Fer, Hooper, Redmond and Olsson. There might even be offers for Josh. In some cases the player might initiate a move, in others clubs would approach.us with bids. We would presumably try to hang on to younger ones in rebuilding for the future, but the pressure would be intense.

If we were relegated, we would be thrust back to our original plan, of consolidation in the Championship before promotion, a plan destroyed with back-to-back promotions. Depending on the manager and players signed, we would have to be patient. Rebounding to the Premiership does happen, but not for Blackburn or QPR, apparently.

[quote user="YellowNets1901"]I think Hughton would have to leave the club. Many players would leave. We''d be in a mess. The Lambert years would largely be wasted.

The silly thing is, it''s very likely this could happen. If only the board had seen earlier what many fans have been seeing for 12-14 months.[/quote]

I don''t think you can call getting the club debt free wasting what lambert did for us?

Whatever else happens we are in a far far better position than we have been for 20 + years.

If the worst were to happen    ? In the whole scheme of things in life, not a lot would change. I would still have my health, what little wealth, family etc. I would still support my club and whoever played for them.As with the last 30 odd years I would look forward to every game, some with excitement and some with trepidation but all with hope. I would probably be ecstatic, disappointed, angry, frustrated and surprised in equal measures.And unless I won the lottery I would still have no control over who ran the club, managed the club or played for the club no matter how many forums I belonged to.We have another 14 games to get the results we need with the resources we have. I think we will survive (if that''s the right term!) this year and will probably be having exactly the same conversations on this board next year. That''s where we are as a club along with another 7 or 8 in this division and 4 or 5 in the Championship.Maybe one day we will be an established Premier League club, until then, I''m still enjoying the ride!

If we go down we will have to rebuild the side virtually all over again just to survive in the Championship, that will not come cheap.