Sign in to follow this  
RodneyTrottersFC

there's something about Wesley...

Ok, I lied... I''m feeling chatty ... Despite thus far replies to my posts being zilch :''-( *thinly covered hint alert!

Whether you rate Wes or not is likely to involuntarily sway how you view the matter... But try and put that to one side...

What he alledgedly said is hurtful and wrong. It is born (presumably) from his lack of match time and frustrations with the manager. Yes, in any other job, you''d get sacked for such behaviour... But this is football... Where people get paid thousands to play the game they love.... If Suarez can still play after randomly chomping someone''s arm... Surely an ill concieved outburst is forgivable? As I can''t remember: did Cantona play football after his infamous fan karate kick?

Also, consider how long he''s been here... I seriously doubt he''s always thought that about our club which really lays heavy on the he didn''t mean it front... So the conclusion for me is: I''m disapointed in him but still rate him and still wish we used him more... What about you?

Anyone who thinks Wes is past it or not good enough for the prem is absolutely clueless about football in my opinion.

What Wes suffers from, and is the reason so many see him as not good enough or cite him as being a championship player, is that he has poor players around him that are just not on his level. He looses the ball sometimes cause the players around him are static and make no runs to give a player of his skill and vision an option.

How many times do we see Wes, spinning around, holding onto the ball too long, only to eventually get dispossesed, this is because of the calibre of player around him not making those runs.

Put Wes in the Man City team, or even Barca for that matter and we''d see the best of him.

Hughtons a fool, the team should have been built around Wes, but clueless Chris doesnt know how to do it.

Good players make those around the look better.

Why can''t Wes do that? Well the answer is he did. In the Championship and League one.

Hooper and RVW are constantly moving waiting to run, Redmond too. Made no difference to Wes'' input this season.

So Wes would shine in any other Premier team???

So why did only one other Prem team come in with an offer for him in the transfer window - and a derisory offer at that?

Thirsty Lizard wrote the following post at 07/02/2014 5:28 PM:

So Wes would shine in any other Premier team???

So why did only one other Prem team come in with an offer for him in the transfer window - and a derisory offer at that?

Sums up the Wes debate I think!

[quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]So Wes would shine in any other Premier team???

So why did only one other Prem team come in with an offer for him in the transfer window - and a derisory offer at that?[/quote]

Didn''t say that did I.

I said he''d look world class in the Man City and Barca teams, teams that have the calibre of player to fully compliment Wes and let him showcase his ability to its fullest.

Ok... If wes is as poor as you think... Surely we should have sold him for that derisory offer? Thing with debates, Yellowfuture, is they can go on and on because of the countless different opinions :-)

"Good players make those around the look better."

By that reasoning GP we have some blo0dy terrible players.

Wes is on 1 assist in 5 starts. There are only 2 Norwich players with more than 1, Redmond and Elmander. (14 and 11 starts respectively or 21 and 19 games total to Wes'' 9)

Wes is a far better player than people give him credit. Expecting him to get a combined assist/goal total of more than 10 every year as most on here seem to is utterly ridiculous. He got 11 in our first season, a feat usually only achieved by strikers and extremely (20mil plus) expensive no10s.

Hooper is currently 1st with a combined of 6 this year.

People need to reality check their expectations with Wes. A playmaker of his ability who is also freescoring beyond our ability to recruit. We tried to potentially do so in the summer and failed.

RodneyTrottersFC wrote the following post at 07/02/2014 5:51 PM:

Ok... If wes is as poor as you think... Surely we should have sold him for that derisory offer? Thing with debates, Yellowfuture, is they can go on and on because of the countless different opinions :-)

Absolutely Dave, different opinions is what it is all about. We were never going to let him go to Villa though were we? So why did nobody else come in with a big offer for him? Why has he struggled to nail an international place? It''s because of his inconsistency and the narrowness of his skill set. He is great at what he does and I love watching him play, the thing about the top level is you need to be consistent and unfortunately that''s where Wes struggles.

Monty13 wrote the following post at 07/02/2014 5:52 PM:

"He got 11 in our first season, a feat usually only achieved by strikers and extremely (20mil plus) expensive no10s."

It''s 10 if you only count PL games. So by your reasoning we could have sold Snoddy for £30m during the summer?

Wes sometimes infuriates me giving the ball away , he can be terrible for a few games , 
BUT he is more than capable of helping us to a couple of wins this season.Who knows those couple of wins may even keep us up.We don''t have anyone else to sit behind a striker and take control.
No he''s not the greatest number 10 around , if he was we couldn''t afford him.But he really does have to be given a run in the team as he''s our best hope of creativity.Sorry to use that word CH.