Sign in to follow this  
splutcho

Canaries in odd places

Having moved down to Sussex a few months ago, I was surprised to bump into a bloke in a City jacket while I was at work earlier, didn''t think we spread that far ha.

Anyway, it got me thinking, has anyone met City fans in unusual places?

I''m from Crawley so there are a couple of us in Sussex! Strangest place I met another Norwich fan was in Taba, Egypt! Can''t leave you''re hotel unless on an organised trip so out of about 300 people was a bit strange!

We are everywhere. I used to live in Brighton next door to a Norwich fan.

Now I live in Oxford and know a couple here. One I met playing football and noticed he had the old away shorts on, another works with my girlfriend.

The weirdest place I ever met a Norwich fan was Dubrovnik in Croatia. I was walking through the town wearing my shirt and someone came towards me also in the shirt. Stopped for a bit if a chin wag and went about our ways.

There are three Canaries on the vessel I work on, currently about 100 miles off the coast of Angola.

When I first moved to the states I''d be shocked to meet anyone who''s a Norwich fan, but I''ve met a few.

on my intramural football team there was a Norwich fan who''s mother is from Norfolk, one of my professors is a Norwich "fan" (he likes Derby better for whatever reason but can''t watch them very often.) and a guy who works at the Campus subway is often wearing a Norwich Cap.

Wearing a canary cap makes u a fan. I give up honestly I do. We are becoming more of a tin pot club by the day.

One advantage of relegation if it happens is that the plastic population will disappear

[quote user="Thorpe end canary"]Wearing a canary cap makes u a fan. I give up honestly I do. We are becoming more of a tin pot club by the day.

One advantage of relegation if it happens is that the plastic population will disappear[/quote]

Yep I guess you''d know about lack of plastics following Champ teams

I saw a bloke wearing a Norwich shirt in a bar in Kalgoorlie Australia, which is in the middle of nowhere. Turned out he had studied at the UEA and supported them ever since.

Met Canary fans all over the world but strangest incidence probably was walking into a small pub in St Peter''s Port, Guernsey to see a largest black and white photo of a City team from the 1950''s behind the bar (and not the 1959 Cup Team).  Turns out that the landlady was former City keeper Ken Oxford''s daughter.

[quote user="dj11"]I saw a bloke wearing a Norwich shirt in a bar in Kalgoorlie Australia, which is in the middle of nowhere. Turned out he had studied at the UEA and supported them ever since.[/quote]Also in Australia, I chatted to a guy, originally from Gt Yarmouth who was wearing a Norwich City shirt on Bondi Beach, Sydney.

On a similar note, I''ve not been to Thailand since we''ve been up in the Premier League. Went a few times when we were in the Champ, and never saw any Norwich shirts on the counterfeit stalls on the night markets . Plenty of Chelsea, MU, Arsenal, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Milan etc,but nothing like Norwich. The only yellow kits were Brazil ones !Has anyone been to Bangkok etc over the last 3 years, and do these guys now stock Norwich and other less well known PL teams these days ?

a few weeks ago while in Canberra Hospital i met a guy in the foyer wearing the green lotus shirt from a few years back. Absolutely made my day as i was quite sick at the time...he was from Norwich too!

In WSC this month theres mention of a Norwich fan club in New York with 250 members!

[quote user="manbearpig"]I''m from Crawley so there are a couple of us in Sussex! Strangest place I met another Norwich fan was in Taba, Egypt! Can''t leave you''re hotel unless on an organised trip so out of about 300 people was a bit strange![/quote]

That wasn''t me was it? I met a city fan in Taba a while back, it would''ve been in either the Hyatt or Radisson, don''t remember exactly.

Well I guess I class as a city fan in an odd place, not many others living here in Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine, although I''m originally from Norwich of course.

[quote user="UkraineCanary"]not many others living here in Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine, although I''m originally from Norwich of course.[/quote]An obvious place to live for a Norwich fan, UC.There''s a lot of yellow in the flag, and don''t the team wear yellow shirts. ?I suppose if you must live in an ex soviet bloc country, then Lithuania is top choice, as their team actually plays in the same colours as Norwich !

That''s true Reggie, although not as perfect as Lithuania, the colours here are at least partially correct.

I''m just pleased I''ll be able to watch the game in the pub on a big screen today, as bars always show Man City games here....getting them to put on Norwich, when we''re playing Hull or something, is more challenging!

In my navy days, and after a few bottles of rum, old Bor had the club crest tattooed on my scrotum.  So I suppose that''s a canary in an odd place, though on cold days you can barely see the bloody thing at all.

I bumped into a Norwich fan in a border town on the Montenegro/Albanian border. He had the canary badge on his motorbike. We shared a quick chorus of On the Ball City in a cafe before going our seperate ways.

Also on a domus in Turkey I spoke to a local lad who was wearing a City shirt presumably given to him by a visiting Norfolk lady as he had no idea what his shirt represented...