Sign in to follow this  
Canary On The Wire

Chris Hughton is not the right manager for our club

But for God''s sake, in and out alike, give the man the credit he deserves tonight.4-4-1-1 playing Fer in AM was the perfect way to get a result out of Man City. For the first time since the United game, Hughton''s selection made perfect sense. Leroy could operate in the hole and give Tettey and Johnson support without fear of being closed down- City had no Fernandinho and Yaya Toure isn''t exactly a great tackler. The wingers were rightly instructed to protect Martin and Olsson, who both (particularly Olsson) were absolutely brilliant. Furthermore, after a sloppy start, Yobo was really solid and dependable, communicating well with Bassong to help keep him out of trouble. We aren''t actually that bad defensively, and today proved it.I don''t want to get my teeth into our forward play right now, we know there''s work to be done there. But in a game where opening up would have seen us get comfortably thrashed (IMO) we executed the perfect plan and cut out the silly errors by and large.Well done the lads, well done Chris Hughton. Renewed hope for us all I feel.OTBC

I think today has just proved why he IS the man for the job...

Man City could have played til this time tomorrow and would never have got the better of us... we might just have had a say in where the title goes too.

For me he is far too inconsistent in executing successful defensive strategies and going forward even more so.But we have got the b0llox for a fight- that''s what today proves for me, nothing else.I still don''t know where our goal is coming from whenever I watch us- but that was not something that ever mattered to me today

Excellent point , but at the end of the day we are closer to the bottom 3 , and if Swansea win we drop another place .

[quote user="CanaryOne"]Excellent point , but at the end of the day we are closer to the bottom 3 , and if Swansea win we drop another place .[/quote]But we chalked off one of the toughest games of the season, all the others played each other so the points were always going to be dispersed amongst themFWIW a win against West Ham could see us in the top ten![:D]

The importance of Tettey to this side cannot be understated. Not only is he very good defensively but his ability to maneuver the ball to our attacking players (Fer, Redmond, Hooper etc.) is just as important. The fact that he can win the ball and then start an attack by identifying the correct option and having the ability to play it is crucial to our attacking play. I stand by the fact that our best midfield is a 3 feturing Tettey as the holder, with Howson and Fer playing either side.

Agree I too thought Tettey was exceptional today, and to be honest I am not his biggest fan. Today was such a commited performance fron a team that looked like they are playing for the shirt......I liked Yobo at the start geeing up the boys too and other than a clumsy error early doors he had a very decent game considering he hasnt played much and I thought Bassong looked comfortable playing with him too.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]I think today has just proved why he IS the man for the job...

Man City could have played til this time tomorrow and would never have got the better of us... we might just have had a say in where the title goes too.[/quote]
While we were great, if you truly believe that it was just down to us that they didn''t score then you haven''t watched much of that Man City team this season. Even with players missing, they still have an unbelievable squad. Every attack they created they shot themselves in the foot by not getting players into the box to give themselves a chance of hassling our defence.
We were fantastic, but they were far from the team that beat us 7-0 earlier in the season.

I don''t think he is the right man for the job long term, but no point in sacking him now.

Will probably do enough to keep us up, then shake his hand and say thank you and goodbye.

But for now we just need to let him get on with it. I''m very worried about our lack of goals. That is something that he has failed completely to address. He needs to move on for that reason, but he is here for the rest of this one and we need to get behind the team as long as they continue to put the effort in that they did today.

[quote user="Le Juge"]I don''t think he is the right man for the job long term, but no point in sacking him now.

Will probably do enough to keep us up, then shake his hand and say thank you and goodbye.

But for now we just need to let him get on with it. I''m very worried about our lack of goals. That is something that he has failed completely to address. He needs to move on for that reason, but he is here for the rest of this one and we need to get behind the team as long as they continue to put the effort in that they did today.[/quote]i don''t believe hes the right man for the club and if anything today probably proved it more. Its all very well taking a point off man city, but what about the 5 we have lost to Cardiff. Or the defeats against Fulham, villa etc. Why can he do it against the big teams but not the teams around us.

However, Hughton going now would be more damaging than him staying - its a debate for May when the season is over. For the record, i think he will be our manager in may, but not in august regardless of the league we find ourselves in

Today''s result in isolation was a great point and one more than most of us thought we would get. So very well played and we looked more comfortable than we have for sometime. West Ham is a huge game to see whether we can carry the momentum on. I''ve never been a flip-flop fan and I''m not getting carried away.

However, one swallow doesn''t make a summer and the fact still remains that Hughton is not the man for our club. Some posters may gloss over our appalling goal scoring record, but when we do get the chance to score, we rarely do. I

If that doesn''t change - and fast - we will be relegated.

Lets just see how the West Ham game goes shall we before we get carried away, everyone including the gaffer did well today but it''ll take more than this for me to join the IN camp.

[quote user="Canary On The Wire"]I don''t recall anyone asking you to join the in camp, ''Jimbo''

Funny, you remind me of someone who also likes to create his own agenda
[/quote]

Why the nastiness Mr COTW?