Sign in to follow this  
Dion Dublin=Legend

Jacob Murphy set to join Swindon Town on loan

Good news if true.

A number of our young players need to take the next step of playing in competitive man''s football rather than just playing U-21 games. Rudd, Loza and McGeehan have already done so and I expect there may be a few more.

One of the problems with the U-21 set up is that there aren''t actually that many games in the League they play in. So far this season the U-21s have only had 13 League games. Joining full League teams offers our youngsters the prospect of playing and learning more.

just announced. I would of liked for him to go to a championship team for better quality of opposition but I guess this way he''s almost guaranteed a lot of game time. good luck to him. hopefully comes back to us a better, grown player.

The biggest problem I see with the U21 set up is that it is just an added layer of the ''youth'' system and it can be counter productive.

By that I mean that young players aged 18-21 should be, where possible, trying to cut their teeth with more experienced pro''s so they can get accustomed to the physical side of the game as well as learn from their seniors.

Terry learnt from Desailly who was able to shepherd him through his early years as a professional. Despite what some may think of his character he has had a good long career at the top and is still strong.

A loan like this is only a good thing. They need to get out there and get used to what it is like to play in front of a crowd that can be behind you or hostile towards you.

Chicken, the current u21 setup is meant to achieve that whilst removing the results pressure, hence the overaged players being allowed to play. Granted it doesn''t really manage it as they don''t play enough or at high enough intensity, but, the pressure to stay in the premiership means that only the truly exceptional would get a chance in the first team regularly. So, the only other alternative would be have loads if youngsters out on loan, like arsenal and Chelsea or have a reserve team in the lower leagues, neither of which are particularly palatable for supporters of teams down there...

I''m not sure that the teams down there don''t like the idea of being able to loan players.

A lot of clubs down the leagues simply survive on being able to loan in up and coming talent.

If you look at the players that were loaned out before hitting the big time you''ll see that quite a few, such as Defoe, cut their teeth out on loan before returning as much improved players.

From my own perspective I started playing adult football at 16. I learnt more off the adults I played alongside and trained with than I felt I had been doing with any youth set up. I didn''t want to be ''protected''.

I''m not saying the U21''s is bad - I just don''t see how it is greatly better than the previous system as it was meant to be.

The teams themselves do need the loan system to be able to survive, but that''s as much to do with the whole youth academy setup, big clubs hoover up the talent leaving nothing for the smaller local clubs. You talk to the fans and most of them will have mixed feelings at best about loans, yes they mean that a club can have better players than they''d be able to buy, but the downside of this, you only have them for a few months or one year at best then they go home. They don''t necessarily buy into the club and you can get yourself into a false situation, promoted thanks to some loan stars and then unable to bridge the gap the following year (a bit like WBA with lukaku). My other team is Carlisle, I''ve lost count of the number of loan signings that have been made this year, some have been successful, others haven''t even played a game and gone back, yet all of them cost money that the club are basically just throwing away trying to tread water, they are left with no asset for the expense, but it might mean they stay in league one to fight relegation for another year!

He got 20 or so minutes today, just had a quick scan of a Swindon board and sounds like he had a pretty decent game and was unlucky with a shot late on. Whilst they''re not raving about him, they certainly seem pleased.