Sign in to follow this  
NWC

Russ Martin

Love him to death and all that, but Russ had a bit of a shocker today often getting caught in possession and not tracking runners enough.Nobody can fault his commitment, but I felt he was really exposed today which was a shame.Maybe Russ should have a bit of a break to let Whitaker do RB for a few games.

He gave the ball away twice, from what I remember, in dangerous positions. Other than that had a very solid game and got forward well, wouldn''t have called it a "shocker" by any means.

It''s only my opinion but personally Martin is the better RB and we look a better side with him playing, but each to their own.

I think shocker is a bit harsh.

Thought he started slowly, but improved as the game went on and made some important challenges in the 2nd half when we were really under pressure.

I thought he had a funny game really did a lot of things well but had a few stray passes in the second half but thought he was ok to be honest.

although he gave the ball away twice in possession, he gave us good options on the attack, supporting redmond. A very good performance tactically in my opinion, very disciplined but yeah, shame about the dangerous passing....but then again, if you look at Bradley Johnson he don''t look so bad

New RB a must in the summer if we do survive in the premier league this season. Martin and Whittaker are OK but not the standard we need if we really want to push on.

How about Kyle Naughton.

I sit behind his position for half the game I also think he gave the ball away twice on the half way line ...otherwise had a very good game .

I really don''t think that some of the critics on here have actually been at the match reading their comments .

It looks very different from a camera , or do they watch it on the radio ?

Best RB in our squad at the moment IMO, but I agree this is a position we should be seeking to strengthen during the summer.

I acknowledge a couple of woeful bits of distribution which gifted possession in dangerous positions but fortunately we survived. His detractors only seem to see any poor play from him, closing their eyes to all the positive contributions he makes.

Certainly, a group around my mate in the Upper Barclay seem unable to wait to pinpoint anything he does wrong. In a game earlier in the season, I was thinking that Martin had had as good a game as anybody, a really outstanding first half and an ok second half. Upon meeting my mate outside the ground, his first words were "God, wasn''t Russell Martin awful?"

I certainly see him as markedly less of a liability than Whitaker and also a better bet than some of the potential signings being mentioned.

I think the reason some people have picked up on the two mis-placed passes is that this is something you very rarely see from RM, as his completed pass % indictates, so these two stuck out. He also made some very good runs and passes. Other players also gave the ball away, so why single out one player on what was a very good defensive performance.

our defence keeps a clean sheet against the league most prolific team yet one has a shocker - computer says no.

all 4 were solid today

I thought he had a good game today, attacking contribution particularly. I wonder if the Martin hate is a little bit of snobbery as he is a league one survivor? Perhaps some fans will never accept him or Wes as Premier League standard because of this and have now become embarrassed, wanting us to cast off the survivors, so we can finally convince ourselves we''re rubbing shoulders with the big boys and pretend it never happened? Personally I think Russ has been fantastic for us and continues to be

GMD,

And on top of all you have said, who was it that set Redmond away at the death, when we almost scored, with a lovely deft chip, why RM of course!

As has been said, he gave the ball away a couple of times in dangerous areas towards the end of the game but we kept them out so there couldn''t have been too much wrong with any performance.

Well I was "There" last week at Cardiff and thought he didn''t have a particularly good game then either.Was not meant to be Russ bashing - I love his marauding runs forward and his body on the line blocks, but I believe you can''t make mistakes at this level in your own defensive zone. Was not out to hang him or sell him, was just thinking that maybe he needed a rest when we have a direct replacement with Whitaker.

I wouldn''t have described his performance as shocking but didn''t think he had the best of games.

It does hack me off a little that he gets lauded as some sort of hero when other players are constantly moaned at who put in a better showing than him.

Perhaps he is the definition of a ''cult'' hero.