Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Man City

I posted on one of the threads this morning that you should never rule out surprise results because they happen all the time in football. However I would be lying if I did not admit that my comment was more in hope than expectation. CH opted for a 451 formation today which seemed eminently sensible considering the opposition and with the non appearance of Snoddy and Bennett there were starts for Redmond and Yobo while Fer and Pilks were also restored to the City line up In the early exchanges we were treated to some fine possession football from Man City but with Tetty and Johno sitting just behind Leroy Fer there was little opportunity for balls threaded through the centre of the home defence. City eventually broke down the left and earned the first corner but Redmond''s centre was woefully weak. A short while later he had another opportunity from open play but again disappointed.Man City were failing to test Ruddy and we appeared to be gaining in confidence as a sweeping move put Redmond clear on the right on the quarter hour mark only for the little winger to balloon a good chance wildly into the Barclay Stand. It was so disappointing to have a player looking so lively but failing to have any end product.It was becoming a really good contest with The Canaries giving as good as they got and from another corner on the right it looked like we had gained the lead as Fers header was blocked and Hooper bundled it in. Unfortunately the flag was up and I couldn''t say if it was correct or not from a hundred yards away. It gave the crowd a bit of confidence and cries of "yellows, yellows" started to echo around the ground. The ref wasn''t helping things with a failure to book several tackles that would have earned a card in most other games. Man City eventually looked threatening when Zabeletta flashed a cross just wide of the far post but in all honesty the City rearguard for the most part looked quite sound.With half time fast approaching there was a flash of danger when Negredo''s header clipped the bar and then Ruddy had to be quick to pounce on a neat pass from the lively Silva before anyone could react but the pressure was not as sustained as most of us had expected. At last halftime arrived and the crowd were very appreciative as the Canaries trooped off.My thoughts at the break were along the lines of, "surely this can''t last for the whole 90 minutes", but when the second half began City were still giving as good as they got. Olsson made a great block to prevent a shot coming in then a cross and header had the away support cheering a goal only to find that Negredo had put it the wrong side of the post. After the hour mark it began to look like a goal would come as Man City were camped outside the Norwich area for long spells without being able to work a telling opening. The centre pairing of Yobo and Bassong looked very solid and most of the danger was coming from the wings when Norwich lost possession. Russell Martin was twice guilty of sloppy play but still looked the more likely of the fullbacks to get forward. It almost brought a goal when he stormed forward on 62 minutes and Hooper''s back heel found him clear 10 yards out only for the shot to screw high and wide.With 20 minutes left Hooper took a knock in the City box and was replaced by RVW but there were few chances for him up front as the pattern of play was firmly in the visitors favour. Tetty and Johno were outstanding in this period as the City defence held on. At last we gained some decent possession which Fer put to good use by spreading play to Redmond and Pilks. It almost brought a City winner as Redmond cut in and finally supplied a good cross only for it to somehow bisect the in-rushing forwards. As the egg timer ran out Pilk''s had a great effort narrowly over the top but when the whistle finally went the was a huge cheer for a well earned point that so easily could have been three.In a game such as this it would be churlish to name a single MOM. Tetty and Johno were superb, Hoops led the line brilliantly and the entire back line protected Ruddy so well that the big man rarely had to extend himself. On days like this it''s hard to see this team being in the bottom three come May.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]Cheers Ricardo, what were your thoughts on Jobo?

Do you fear we may have too many tired legs / injuries for Tuesday?[/quote]Yobo fitted in almost seamlessly IMO. The centre pairing seldom looked troubled today.

"On days like this it''s hard to see this team being in the bottom three come May."

Agreed, Even though, due to the Cardiff defeat, we have slipped closer to the relegation zone (in terms of points as well as position), I think the last 2 performances have been really encouraging. We seem to have a few alternatives now in terms of personnel and formation. We were desperately unlucky against Cardiff; so much so that I haven''t been able to face reading anything about football for the last week. So, really happy we have come up with another excellent performance today. Hopefully if we can get by on the injury front, i think we have enough quality options to see us safely through this season.

And one final point, today''s result and performance should be an indicator that we can actually pick up an odd point or 3 in the last 4 games of the season.

Thanks Ricardo. What I find very pleasantly surprising is, if I''ve counted correctly, that brings us to a total of nine clean sheets to date. My word, if we could only scored a few goals more at key times we would not have the level of angst that we do. Let''s hope for a goal or two in our favor on Tuesday.

Thanks Ricardo.I hope we stick with this formation now. We look so more solid with Tetty and Johnson "sitting."

Good report. It was most pleasing to see us start the game well, then come out in the second half just as good. Not happened enough this season but it definitely did yesterday.

we played our best football this season when Tettey & Fer were sitting and Howson pushing on, but whilst Howsons out Johnson in for him and Fer pushing on, need to start building around a 4231 formation

We have tried 2 up front which many on here were crying out for but it doesn''t seem to work in a league were midfield control means almost everything. I think we should stick with this formation now.

Good report, as always, Ricardo. I thought we looked well organised and compact all through and we counter attacked with real speed and purpose - something I haven''t seen a lot of this season. All the players gave everything and it would be difficult to pick anyone out - good or bad. There were a few mistakes - but more than balanced by the good things.  They gave us what we hope for - real effort, good football and we looked like a side that deserves to be in the Premier League. Yobo fitted in like he had been there all season and was a real revelation. The midfield looked really good, defensively and offensively and we switched the play across the field and from defence to attack very well. The return of Tetty seems to add some stability and confidence for the other players around him.The referee was awful. I thought at half time that they could have shot one of our players and not get booked. Credit to the players that they did not let it get to them. The atmosphere in the ground was back to its best and it was good to hear the crowd really getting behind the team from all areas. I just hope we can maintain that degree of effort and concentration for the rest of the season. If so - no worries!!