Sign in to follow this  
Waveney Canary

An incredibly tight relegation fight. Those with a mathematical talent what is their view of how many points needed to stay up this season. I don''t think it will take 40 points

Well my maths would state we need 35/36 pts to survive but I think teams will improve and we will inevitably need more like 39 pts to stay up

It''s still difficult to predict... I''ll give you two seasons to compare to this season.

3rd bottom number of points after 5, 10, 15 etc games

2009: 4, 8, 15, 20, 23, 29, 31, 34, 35

2011: 4, 9, 14, 19, 24, 32, 35, 39, 40

2014: 4, 8, 13, 17, 23

average (1996-2013): 3.3, 7.2, 12.3, 17.5, 21.7, 27.2, 32.2, 36, 38.5

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/2008-2009/table/2009-02-18

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/2010-2011/table/2011-02-02

Right had a quick look at the fixtures of the clubs in and around us (not all mind, although if wanted I will):

Fulham''s remaining fixtures:

Home: Liverpool, Chelsea, Newcastle, Everton, us (Norwich in case you are confused!), Hull, Palace.

Away: Man Utd (today), West Brom, Cardiff, Man City, Villa, Spurs, Stoke.

Cardiff''s:

Home: Villa, Hull, Fulham, Liverpool, Palace, Stoke, Chelsea.

Away: Spurs, Everton, West Brom, Southampton, Sunderland, Newcastle.

Plus still in the cup and have a FA cup tie to Wigan.

West Brom:

Home: Chelsea, Fulham, Man Utd, Cardiff, Spurs, West Ham, Stoke.

Away: Sunderland, Swansea, Hull, us, Man City, Arsenal.

Sunderland:

Home: West Brom, Palace, West Ham, Everton, Cardiff, Swansea.

Away: Man City, Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool, us, Spurs, Chelsea, Man Utd.

And remain in the FA cup.

Us:

Home: Spurs, Stoke, Sunderland, West Brom, Liverpool, Arsenal

Away: West Ham, Villa, Southampton, Swansea, Fulham, Man Utd, Chelsea.

West Ham:

Home: Us, Southampton, Hull, Man Utd, Liverpool, Palace, Spurs.

Away: Everton, Stoke, Sunderland, Arsenal, West Brom, Man City.

Palace:

Home: Man Utd, Southampton, Chelsea, Villa, Man City, Liverpool.

Away: Everton, Swansea, Sunderland, Newcastle, Cardiff, West Ham, Fulham.

At this point in the season, and in a relegation fight you want to look to your home fixtures for points. Looking at the teams listed you would have to say that both Palace and Fulham have the most difficult home fixtures - Palace have to face five comfortably top half teams including Man City and Liverpool who could come visiting with much still to play for.

I know we moan at our run in where we will play four top of the league teams in Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd but just look at West Ham''s - Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal and Man City.

It''s going to be tight that is for sure. And that doesn''t include the other teams who are actually still in it as well.

For me, we should be targeting points from - Home: Stoke, Sunderland, West Brom - Away: West Ham, Villa, Southampton, Swansea and Fulham.

That''s 8 games. A 15 point return from those would see us safe. Ten points would leave us being touch and go on 35 points. We simply have to take matters into our own hands.

The tough run in means little to me, I would rather have a tough run in and be getting points on the board now rather than have the tough patch earlier and be in Fulham''s position for example.

Honestly - I just can''t see us pushing ourselves far enough from the scrap to enter those final 4 games and not need a win or two.

Failure to beat Fulham H, Cardiff H+A, Villa H, Hull A, Palace A, Sunderland A and Swansea H could well cost us dear.

West Ham on Tuesday is a HUGE game. We need to approach that and away days at Villa, Fulham and Swansea as opportunities to WIN rather than batten down the hatches and pray for a 0.0.

Frazzle wazzle interwebs hazzle pizzle damned effing compootertechnologicalpffft.

Yeah, maybe only the once!

I have done a review similar to chicken''s. Based on the predictions of the bottom 10 before yesterday''s games and trying to be as objective as possible about our results I have us surviving in 14th place on 36 points. I had us down to win 2, draw 6 and lose 6 of the last 14.