Sign in to follow this  
Delias Love Child

S**t the bed

We hold on for a 0-0 v Man City and all of a sudden people are proclaiming us ready to thrash West Ham or start to put 3-4 goals away in several games. Hang on a minute. What evidence is there to back this up? When was the last time we properly thrashed someone? I mean well and truly gave them a tonking? The Man City result is superb but it''s no precursor for our misfiring attack to suddenly starting bagging hat-tricks. We still did not score.... Unless Hughton has a serious change of tactics we will not see more than a 1 or 2 addition in the goals for column every game... I think we should content ourselves with the fact that when the chips are down, Hughton will etch out a result and we will limp over the finishing line. We will stay up but it''s not going to be through a series of 3 or 4 nil victories.....

Clearly not, it''s a quote from robocop which kind of seemed fitting after the OP''s outburst.

We need to get away from these sort of OP''s but unfortunately one or two keep bringing them back!

Stop the negativity, what good is it going to do us?

[quote user="Beefy is a legend"]I stand to be corrected but I haven''t seen anyone posting that we will score 3 or 4 at West Ham[/quote]We can but dream, Beefy.On the basis that they are the only team we''ve scored more than 2 goals against this season, I suppose it''s as good a shout as any ?

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="Beefy is a legend"]I stand to be corrected but I haven''t seen anyone posting that we will score 3 or 4 at West Ham[/quote]We can but dream, Beefy.On the basis that they are the only team we''ve scored more than 2 goals against this season, I suppose it''s as good a shout as any ?[/quote]

I''d buy that for a dollar!!!

Hughton rightly expressed admiration for his team - they did indeed give all, intelligently and magnificently. He did, however, express disappointment with the failure to score from good positions. This has been our problem for several years. Even in the days in Division One we converted a relatively low number of chances into goals, and Holt needed quite a few for every goal scored. I used to watch the goals scored v. chances statistics created in the Daily Telegraph, and the proportion was always low. It was in Cardiff, perhaps our worst this season, and although we had few chances against Man City they were amongst the best for either side during the game.

The really worrying thing was Hughton''s claim that they practice shooting every day in training, so it can''t be for want of trying by the coaches. The implication is that we are unlikely to put 3 or 4 past any team, and we have to be content with small wins if they come, based on a solid defence. They won''t do much for our goal difference, which is poor, but each win however narrow means three more lovely points!