Sign in to follow this  
beelsie

saturdays game

Hi everybody. In my last post I had some very critical things to say about our performances over the past season. To some degree the performance on Saturday showed that we can do all the things that we should do on the football pitch. We got stuck in as a team and played as if there was meaning and purpose, and that our intentions were to give MC a game; we convinced them that we cared!The team proved that they can compete. Thus! there are no excuses for the team not to perform in the coming games. Leroy Fer said in an interview with an EDP member that He did not like the pressure of having to compete in must win situations, that it is too demanding to have to go on the pitch with so much pressure in every game.  I thought that pressure is what sport is all  about.  I remember Worthington saying that one had to earn the right to play.At the time many posters on these forums used to say that Worthy was talking rubbish.  He was so right, IMO if you put in the effort then the results will follow and the payment is success.  The old cliche is to get something out the team have to put the work in.  Even the most technically gifted player ; if he he is honest has to get stuck in to get the rewards of success. Every game should count, be it in practice, in the league , in the cup or against so called poor opposition. Many on these forums used to say it did''nt matter to loose pre-season matches. Believe you me there is only one thing that matters in sport and that is winning ,be that ugly or otherwise.  Our boys have to be aware of that point alone to be successful. OTBCBest wishes Beelsie

Good to see you about again Beelsie, I hope you are well. [Y]The problem for me this season has been the fans expectations. Having finished 11th last season and spending £25m, City fans expected us

to brush aside many of the lower clubs and compete with teams in the

top half of the table. Unfortunately for them it just doesn''t work like

that. To add a bit of perspective, Man Utd have just spent £40m on ONE

player. And if our players are on an average of £30k per week, Wayne

Rooney earns as much in a week as our whole team put together whichever

eleven we put out. Sadly, we will NEVER be able to compete with the top

teams.So, back to expectations, before the Newcastle game most fans

said they would be happy with a draw so what happened? We drew......but the fans were unhappy! Too defensive they said. It was all about the tactics.At Cardiff we attacked for most of the match but lost. They were unhappy, suddenly it was all about results.On Saturday most people expected a tonking so everybody was delighted we got a draw but now we''re told it was because the manager couldn''t field the team he wanted to. Those last three games alone show that there is enough spirit, determination and quality in the squad to finish the season comfortably placed and, as you say, it took Worthy quite a while to work out his best team/formation and injury''s to important players have made it just as difficult this time round.