Sign in to follow this  
Brighton Yellow

West Ham Travel

I am seeking to get some advice regarding getting back across towards Liverpool Street after tomorrow evenings match. It seems that the tube strike has ruled out most of the obvious options typically available.

Does anyone have experience in getting away? Busses to Stratford or Liverpool Street would seem to be a good alternative. Or is it reasonable to walk from the ground to Stratford.

I know from previous visits that queues into Plaistow tube station have taken an awfully long time to clear so would expect that busses would be pretty difficult to get on.

Many thanks…

Walking to Stratford will probably take around 30 mins, through some of the more ''interesting'' streets in East London. You could walk to Canning Town (20 - 30 mins, although have never done it so can''t be sure) and get the DLR (which will be running a normal service through-out the strike) to Tower Hill and then take the not to long walk to Liverpool Street - or take the DLR to Stratford. The braver souls can walk up Green Street to Forest Gate and get the train to Liverpool Street.

I think there will be trains running on the District Line though (which goes through Upton Park) so everyone might not need to change their plans too much.

I know Arsenal are waiting on the verdict of strike talks today to see whether they call off their game - I don''t think West Ham are planning the same, but keep an eye out for announcements. TFL are expecting the strike to be called off - but can''t be sure until the end of today. I imagine if the strike and game both go ahead extra buses will be provided to get people home.

Cheers Bethnal. I actually need to get up to Islington after the game but that does alter immediate plans anyway.

The District line is running but trains are not stopping at most stations anywhere near the ground. I know Stratford is about 2 miles away and following your advice I think that it what I will do as a plan b if the strike does indeed go ahead.

What is your immediate plan of action for tomorrow, assuming of course that you are actually able to go?

I think we await negotiations. I am planning to go from stratford and then take 104 BUS to Manor Park (Stop D). This goes near the ground, Green St. Trains go from L''pool St to Stratford (heading for Shenfield). I live in London, so may head back the same way. To be honest I was planning to avoid the Tube on the way back because of the horrendous build up at Upton Park, and the way the Police keep things so regimental. Good Luck

Our plan is to attempt to catch a bus towards Stratford, but imagine we''ll end up walking.  One good thing with Stratford is the Overground network should be running as per timetable so it''s a good gateway for most parts of London from there.  Like Bethnal said though, I''m confident it will be called off as talks seem to be going in the right direction from the whispers that I''m hearing.

[quote user="corbs"]I think we await negotiations. I am planning to go from stratford and then take 104 BUS to Manor Park (Stop D). This goes near the ground, Green St. Trains go from L''pool St to Stratford (heading for Shenfield). I live in London, so may head back the same way. To be honest I was planning to avoid the Tube on the way back because of the horrendous build up at Upton Park, and the way the Police keep things so regimental. Good Luck[/quote]The strike doesn''t kick-in until around 9:30pm, so getting to the game by tube should be fine.

Ok, did not know that, in that case may have a swift one in the Coborn and get the District Line from Mile End (and getting out at Upton Park, not at West Ham which the great Clyde Best once did when he signed for the Club). Thanks

I am staying in covent garden so as long as I can get back towards that way hope to have no problems.

Getting ticket on night, made late decision to go, and looking forward to a great night .

OTBC