Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

Right back

I can''t help but feel that we are crying out for an attacking right back, an Olsson on the right.

Kyle Naughton would be the obvious candidate if he becomes available. That £4m that we could have signed him for during his loan stay suddenly looks very cheap doesn''t it? The price then went to £6m, that also sounds cheap to me.

We seem to do most of our build up play down the right with Snodgrass the usual outlet, but he really slows down our play.

If we had a right back who could bomb forward like Olsson on the overlap then I think we''d really start to appreciate Snodgrass again.

Lot''s of people say that the missing component is a number 10, but I''m convinced that an attacking right back who can link up with Snoddy and put in a killer ball would add a whole new dimension to our counter attacks.

Martin would still have his uses, Whittaker should probably move on though (he''s on a four year deal though!).

A player who makes no mistakes ever is a rarity. Russ Martin is an inspiration to the team one of the few leaders we have. When not glued to the rear guard by the managerial tactics he will attack as often and be just as productive as Olson on thev left

We should have taken the opportunity to sign Kyle Naughton when / if it was there in my opinion. I have great respect for Russell Martin (he should be Club Captain) but that doesn''t mean he couldn''t be improved upon.

Europe_93, unfortunately we didn''t sign Naughton, so c''est la vie and I agree with you, great respect for the man and I also agree with others that say when allowed to get forward by the manager he is very good, all the three last ditch chances we had yesterday came from down the right with RM involved.

He is of course Club Captain, I assume you feel he should be Team Captain again I agree.

Too much agreeing will make this board dull, won''t it?

For me, Russell Martin is a true professional in terms of attitude and maximising his performance. There are times he gets exposed by some players typically those with a bit of pace, he can''t make himself quicker, but that ultimately is what I think we need to improve in that position.

Le Juge wrote the following post at 09/02/2014 1:21 AM:

I can''t help but feel that we are crying out for an attacking right back, an Olsson on the right.

Kyle Naughton would be the obvious candidate if he becomes

available. That £4m that we could have signed him for during his loan

stay suddenly looks very cheap doesn''t it? The price then went to £6m,

that also sounds cheap to me.

We seem to do most of our build up play down the right with Snodgrass the usual outlet, but he really slows down our play.

If we had a right back who could bomb forward like Olsson on the

overlap then I think we''d really start to appreciate Snodgrass again.

Lot''s of people say that the missing component is a number 10, but

I''m convinced that an attacking right back who can link up with Snoddy

and put in a killer ball would add a whole new dimension to our counter

attacks.

Martin would still have his uses, Whittaker should probably move on though (he''s on a four year deal though!).

I am sorry, but I really wonder what people expect of a right sided attacking player. Are you saying we need a better right back so that Snodgrass can look better? We saw the benefit of fast, purposeful, attacking play yesterday from Redmond. He worked his socks off, took quite a few good corners, didn''t slow down attacks, didn''t float in meaningless ''crosses'' from the right with his left foot, looked dangerous enough that Manchester City were worried about our counter attacking possibilities, made a through ball a possibility and showed a great appetite for the game.What exactly does Snodgrass bring to the table?Having said all of that I would love to have Naughton back with us.He, like other young English players, are seeing their careers fade away because of lack of opportunity. Another was the unused sub for Manchester City yesterday, Jack Rodwell. Both could have been travelling to Brazil this summer if they had been playing regularly.Yes, I would love to see Kyle Naughton in a Norwich City shirt again.  

Russel Martin is a fantastic club player and a leader BUT as a RB he must be one of the weakest in the division imo. He is good cover and also good at CB but we need a new first choice if we stay up someone with the same quality as Olson

I love Martin, but he is a more than the sum of his parts type. Industrious, but at times limited going forward, but very strong defensively though.

A new ball playing rb makes sense to me.

Didn''t Hughton say during a fan meeting (or something like that) last year that the club had inquired about Kyle Naughton''s availability but had been priced out of a move? I''m pretty sure he did. 
Maybe back in for him in the summer? 

naughton remains the bench mark full back since we have been back in the prem league

As for last ditch tackles, they look fantastic but I have yet to see one where it wasnt down to poor positioning by the player to start with.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]

Le Juge wrote the following post at 09/02/2014 1:21 AM:

Kyle Naughton would be the obvious candidate if he becomes

available. That £4m that we could have signed him for during his loan

stay suddenly looks very cheap doesn''t it? The price then went to £6m,

that also sounds cheap to me.

If we had a right back who could bomb forward like Olsson on the

overlap then I think we''d really start to appreciate Snodgrass again.

Lot''s of people say that the missing component is a number 10, but

I''m convinced that an attacking right back who can link up with Snoddy

and put in a killer ball would add a whole new dimension to our counter

attacks.

I am sorry, but I really wonder what people expect of a right sided attacking player. Are you saying we need a better right back so that Snodgrass can look better? We saw the benefit of fast, purposeful, attacking play yesterday from Redmond. He worked his socks off, took quite a few good corners, didn''t slow down attacks, didn''t float in meaningless ''crosses'' from the right with his left foot, looked dangerous enough that Manchester City were worried about our counter attacking possibilities, made a through ball a possibility and showed a great appetite for the game.What exactly does Snodgrass bring to the table?Having said all of that I would love to have Naughton back with us.He, like other young English players, are seeing their careers fade away because of lack of opportunity. Another was the unused sub for Manchester City yesterday, Jack Rodwell. Both could have been travelling to Brazil this summer if they had been playing regularly.Yes, I would love to see Kyle Naughton in a Norwich City shirt again.  [/quote]Sorry are you honestly asking "what does Snodgrass bring to the table?" You mean Robert Snodgrass who scored our last goal against Cardiff? The same player who set-up our last ditch winner against Hull from a corner the previous time we scored? Obviously failing to score at home is a great example of how much better our strikeforce is when he''s not available.Redmond is a class player too but I just don''t get this constant abuse Snoddy gets from fans, pisses me off.In relation to Naughton he''s not being used much by Sherwood since taking over so I think we could probably get him for £3-4m in the summer as he''ll probably want away. Would be a great signing.

I love Russ, and personally I dont think we need an upgrade, but I do know what you mean - a right sided Matin Olsson would be a great player to have in the right matches. I honestly feel though that Elliott Bennett has the potential to be this player. I know he''s a winger, but like Snodgrass he is very good defensively, and of course already has the attacking attributes you would want from a full back. I think this position is the future for him - he is not a winger that cannot defend, he''s a much better rounded player than that. He has the pace, the awareness, the responsibility and the determination to be that player.

And before people complain about players being played out of position, didnt work out too bad when Tottenham changed the position of that left back they had. Cant remember his name now...