Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

Would you take a Hammers draw?

With the form they are in and the way that Kevin Nolan is playing I probably would.

A goal or two wouldn''t go amiss though hey? Lots of players in need of a goal, in some ways I think a 3-3 could end up a better result for us than a win if it means people like Redmond, Fer, Pilkington, RVW or even Hooper (dry spell) hitting the goal trail.

If they score first yes. If like Cardiff, palace and Fulham we throw away a lead I will be disappointed! but wouldn''t view it a disaster. 3 points for the hammers had to be avoided at all costs,

I''d like to think we will go there to try and win the game, avoiding defeat "at all costs" surely just means playing a very negative defensive game with all men behind the ball giving them far too much respect?

I think we should go out there and try and dominate them, don''t want none of this 0-0 trying to pinch a goal with a two man counter attack rubbish.

I would like a win, but a draw wouldn''t be a bad result, one more point for us, two points denied to a relegation rival.And setting out not to lose away from home isn''t negative, it is pragmatic.

No. This is one of our more win-able games.

Hughton has to set the team up to attack them.

Always take a draw over defeat obviously.... But i want a win to balance out the defeat to Cardiff. All things considered: a draw would not be a bad result but that dont mean i''ll be happy with it

Do remember that we need near 40 points before the last four games of the season, to realistically be safe. If we start playing for draws now, we may as well give up before we even get there. We have to go there and compete, like any competitive sports team should!

Never said anything about playing for a draw, the question was whether you would take a draw if offered right now.

I probably would.

I''m not even sure how a team would "play for a draw", surely that would require collusion between both sides to agree to score a certain number of goals (e.g. a betting scandal).

You know as well as I do what playing for a draw is, without the need to be facetious. Course, perhaps you prefer me to assist in reminding you? Playing extremely tight, with a defensive strategy, not breaking too soon in fear of losing a goal. Then when it''s later in to the second half, all members sitting back and defending what we have. Going by this, one senses a 0-0 outcome, which is a dangerous game to play should other results go against us.

I think Hughton plays for clean sheets if anything.

I don''t enjoy that either, but pretty sure he doesn''t play for a 0-0.

His plan evolves around hoping we can score one on the break, a plan which invariably fails due to a lack of quality in our midfield and a lack of pace up front.

But playing deep with men behind the ball isn''t "playing for a draw".

I''d like to see us go out and attack the game just like you do, but still don''t think Hughton ever thinks "lets play for a draw" no matter how negative and boring he is.

[quote user="Le Juge"]I think Hughton plays for clean sheets if anything.

I don''t enjoy that either, but pretty sure he doesn''t play for a 0-0.

His plan evolves around hoping we can score one on the break, a plan which invariably fails due to a lack of quality in our midfield and a lack of pace up front.

But playing deep with men behind the ball isn''t "playing for a draw".

I''d like to see us go out and attack the game just like you do, but still don''t think Hughton ever thinks "lets play for a draw" no matter how negative and boring he is.[/quote]Do you think we played for a draw on Saturday? Do you think that Hughton is THAT tactically naive that he just sets out to park the bus in every game, and try and keep a clean sheet?People try too hard to quantify tactics to one extreme or the other.When have you ever seen us, away from home, blatantly sit behind the ball and not attack. And being dominated by another team is a very different thing, a point I hope you recognise. 

No. There is now some pressure to get points - especially from those around us in the league. For me this is a fixture we badly need to win. If we can''t beat West Ham..who can we beat?. Its now too late to take a draw.

Right so I write a big post stating that Hughton doesn''t play for a draw and your response to that Morty is to ask me: "Do you think we played for a draw on Saturday?".

I think I have already answered that question don''t you Morty? When I said this?

"but still don''t think Hughton ever thinks ''lets play for a draw'' no matter how negative and boring he is".

Try reading my posts in future and if you want to present an argument as to why Hughton doesn''t play for a draw then present that argument to Robornio the poster who made that claim and not me.

[quote user="Le Juge"]Right so I write a big post stating that Hughton doesn''t play for a draw and your response to that Morty is to ask me: "Do you think we played for a draw on Saturday?".

I think I have already answered that question don''t you Morty? When I said this?

"but still don''t think Hughton ever thinks ''lets play for a draw'' no matter how negative and boring he is".

Try reading my posts in future and if you want to present an argument as to why Hughton doesn''t play for a draw then present that argument to Robornio the poster who made that claim and not me.[/quote]I wasn''t presenting any argument.Try not sh1tting your pants when someone asks you a simple question.

Yes, I would be happy with a draw, but I hope that we go and try for a win.

Given how hard we are to beat at home at the moment, every away point is something of a bonus. A win would be terrific, but a draw would be satisfactory.

Wasn''t it last year we lost there after R Bennett gave away that soft penalty in the 2nd minute?  And I always remember the classic evening game in the 90s when we drew 3-3 after being ahead twice and behind once.

So I would be fine with a draw tonight, more important to stop them getting 3 (although this doesn''t mean we should just sit back and let them lump the ball at us).

No-one seems to have noticed that West Ham beat Lambert''s team away from home on Saturday ?  Or did I imagine that ?

We must go for a win as I don''t believe the ''play for the draw'' mindset will save us now.

[quote user="Alfie54"]No, we need to beat teams like West Ham, they are a poor side[/quote]Who are above us in the league[;)]

I would certainly take a draw. We have not won at West Ham in decades so i don''t know where all the optimism is coming from that we will win. I would love it if we did but history is not on our side. Defeat would not be terminal but well on the way to being so

Alfie54 wrote:

No, we need to beat teams like West Ham, they are a poor side

Morty wrote

Who are above us in the league

agreed, they are above us (marginally) in the league and they are a poor side, who we really need to beat if we are to stay up

[quote user="Jimbo Canary"]We must go for a win as I don''t believe the ''play for the draw'' mindset will save us now.[/quote]

Huzzah![Y]

[quote user="Alfie54"]Alfie54 wrote: No, we need to beat teams like West Ham, they are a poor side Morty wrote Who are above us in the league agreed, they are above us (marginally) in the league and they are a poor side, who we really need to beat if we are to stay up[/quote]

Huzzah![Y]

No, i wouldn''t ''take it''. I could deal with it as long as other results went for us but we need to pick up wins and are running out of realistic options for those wins.

The team have some making up to do regarding results after the poor result versus cardiff and the one versus Fulham and I think a win tonight would put parity on that.

One thing i really want is a goal for RVW. By way of bad fortune, poor confidence, poor composure and injury, his time here since he joined has been a nightmare yet he still comes across like he is really determined to succeed at us.

I''m hoping that now Fer can concentrate on getting forward, we can see more from both of them.

[quote user="Robornio"]Do remember that we need near 40 points before the last four games of the season, to realistically be safe. If we start playing for draws now, we may as well give up before we even get there. We have to go there and compete, like any competitive sports team should![/quote]

If Saturday taught us anything, it''s that we can take points off anybody.

Will be very interesting to see which of those teams will have anything to play for when we face them. Liverpool - probably, Man Utd - I doubt it as they simply can''t put a consistent run together, Chelsea - probably and Arsenal I would guess probably not, they''ll be in the top 4 but can''t see them in with a chance of the title with one game left.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]No, i wouldn''t ''take it''. I could deal with it as long as other results went for us but we need to pick up wins and are running out of realistic options for those wins. The team have some making up to do regarding results after the poor result versus cardiff and the one versus Fulham and I think a win tonight would put parity on that. One thing i really want is a goal for RVW. By way of bad fortune, poor confidence, poor composure and injury, his time here since he joined has been a nightmare yet he still comes across like he is really determined to succeed at us. I''m hoping that now Fer can concentrate on getting forward, we can see more from both of them.[/quote]

Huzzar!..........apart from the RVW bit.

No. We need to win. The reasoning is as follows.This season''s 40 points is 38. Ie, safe with probably a point or so to spare. A draw with West Ham leaves us needing 12 points from the last 12 games. So three wins and three draws. I have never assumed we would lose the last four, but it is a fair assumption we will not win one either.So the three wins need to come from the next eight games, post-West Ham. But if we have been unable to get one win from this quartet of games ending tonight, with three of them very winnable, it seems unlikely we will get three wins from the next eight, even though they are mainly winnable.That is the theory. In practice a draw tonight, only two wins from the next eight, but several draws, including at least one from the last four, would get us close to finishing with 38 points. A defeat tonght, though, would not only make the maths harder, with three wins looking necessary. It would also make those three wins look harder.