Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Redmond has to start

It was refreshing to see us not completely under the cosh for once versus Man City. Part of the reason for that was the outlet provided by Redmond. Man City struggled with him and meant they had to sit deeper at times. With Fer now able to express himself. I feel he''ll form a great understanding next to Redmond and those two could prove dangerous for any opponents.

Tettey and Johnson will cover any aspect of Redmonds weak defensive game. I''d be tempted to stick RVW on from the start too.

Or between RVW''s legs? He was involved in all our good interplay as well that saw our best chances come. If we don''t use him with his pace, it''ll be far too comfortable for West Ham''s giant defence to deal with.

I can imagine him now driving at Roger Johnson, the kid looked on fire versus Man City and I have faith that he''ll gain his composure soon.

[quote user="Nicko"]So we can watch him balloon crosses into row z?[/quote]

He''s 19! What about his corner for the disallowed goal and his trickery and cross at the death against Man City?

We need to keep supporting him (and the rest of the team). He is a breath of fresh air in our team and even though I rate Snoddy highly, I hope that Hughton persists with Redmond. He gives us an outlet on the wings and unpredictability (in a good way). 

what is it with all this constant criticism of redmond?  NONE of our players crossing has been great with the all our wingers finding a city player from a cross just over one in 4 attempts - so whether they hit the first defender or go behind is almost irrelevent as in 3 in 4 cases it wont get to a norwich player.

Redmond does have so much to learn,  but to put his performances into context only Hooper (6) has been directly involved in more goals than him (4),  he has the joint most assists in the team this season (3), has the best cross success ratio (28%) at the club and,  to pick up on Jimmys defensive point, only Leroy Fer (71) has made more tackles than him (35).    Yes these are stats but they only back up what I see when watching him play.

Yes he can improve (on sat his shot sat should have been across the keeper, but you have to love his confidence to try the harder finish,  his cross was poor and behind RvW & Pilks etc)  but at 19 he certainly will .    But realistically what are you expecting from a teenager???

I agree with Jimmys view;   Redmond should start, with no Jonas or Snoddy thats certain,  but he gave a good performance at the weekend against two good full backs created chances and brings a better balance and pace to our attacks than Snoddy currently brings.    

I agree. He has to start.

His end product might be a bit wayward but our overall lack of goals suggests we''re not getting too many things right in the final third anyway.

But at least with Redmond he gives defenders something to worry about. Too often we''re quite easy to defend against but his pace over a short distance and change of direction is not easy to live with.

Another marked man, not in the same league as snodgrass or RVW but definitely marked from the moment he came here.

Young, talented, raw. Not what some people wanted at all.

They want Charles charley Charles on the wing, short back and sides and hard as nails.

We will never win the aerial battle tonight, no point putting it long and high as Wet Spam often play 3 big lumps at the back, overlapping full backs/wingers and one big lump and Nolan off him up front..

Redmond, Pilks and RVW up front for me, got to push Downing and Jarvis back or they will pin us in.

[quote user="Phil and Ted"]We will never win the aerial battle tonight, no point putting it long and high as Wet Spam often play 3 big lumps at the back, overlapping full backs/wingers and one big lump and Nolan off him up front..

Redmond, Pilks and RVW up front for me, got to push Downing and Jarvis back or they will pin us in.[/quote]

Agree about Pilks and Redmond, but if he''s fit I think Hooper would be the natural choice. He''s faster and more mobile, and has much more desire to play a quick one-touch pass-and-move. That could be invaluable in circumnavigating the aforementioned ''big lumps'' at the back.

Considering Snodgrass is out this thread is stating the obvious, he will start but like someone else said wayward high balls into the box will be no good tonight. Redmond needs to get in the box more with ball to feet, I''m sure we would have won more penelties this season as defenders can''t get near him.

[quote user="Nicko"]So we can watch him balloon crosses into row z?[/quote]

Typical pink un message board comment.. Focus on thenegatives, criticise the player. That''s the pink un forum way. Despite the player having many invaluable attributes that more than make up for his one negative. Need I even mention the fact that he''s just 19, yet has become one of pur most important players.

But yeah, let''s just make a single snidey comment about him shall we?

Why oh why did he come off! He was completely ruining West Ham down his flank right to the minute he went off. Sam Allardyce must have laughed himself silly when he saw Redmond''''s number up!