Sign in to follow this  
Moosheep

Define a 'real' fan

Over the relatively short time that I have been a follower of this forum I have seen numerous insults made regarding a poster''s status as a ''real'' fan. Personally I think this is pitiful as no-one has the right to tell someone who calls themselves a Norwich fan that they are not because they don''t think or behave in a certain way. But of course this is only my opinion. I would therefore love to hear, particularly from those who have used this insult, what people think constitutes a ''real'' fan. Alternatively, if you prefer a more negative approach, you could always give a definition of a ''plastic'' fan.Moo

TBH, Moo, if I were you, I''d do what many of the rest of us do when confronted with this type of puerile invention, insulting and name calling.ie, just treat it with the contempt it deserves and ignore it.And continue to post with whatever genuinely held views you have.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]TBH, Moo, if I were you, I''d do what many of the rest of us do when confronted with this type of puerile invention, insulting and name calling.ie, just treat it with the contempt it deserves and ignore it.And continue to post with whatever genuinely held views you have.[/quote]I will treat such insults with the contempt they deserve, but I am genuinely interested in what these people think makes a real fan, because they must have thought about it otherwise surely they wouldn''t be telling people that they aren''t one!

Someone who actually pays their hard-earned to go to games ie giving vocal and financial support to the team. Compare that with someone who simply watches a stream - no one can hear you shout and you''re not giving financial benefit (technically, you''re depriving the club of income by stealing from it''s main income source ie Sky/BT Sport. Of course, stream watchers are entitled to their opinions it just that those opinions are inconsequential.

Okay, Simple Jack says a real fan is someone who pays to go to games, and thus their opinion counts.

Bit of inference...

Seats in the stadium can be booked by people. The set of all people in the stadium count as ''real'' fans. If Simple Jack doesn''t attend one week, moves home for family reasons or something, then his opinion no longer counts, and is allowed to be abused on forums. (This includes board members, chair-people, etc.)

Also, the consequence of this statement is that the total number of Norwich City fans can only ever be equal to the capacity of Carrow road.

Oh. I think I spotted a flaw in that definition.

My view is that a fan is someone who supports the club. Pretty simple, and doesn''t involve belittling others.

"The total number of Norwich City fans can only ever be equal to the capacity of Carrow road..."

That is correct

"If Simple Jack doesn''t attend one week, moves home for family reasons or something, then his opinion no longer counts"

Correct again!

The irony for me is that there are two posters who bang on constantly about plastic fans, who are very obviously trolls just trying to stir, if you read their posts regularly.

No prizes for guessing the name of one of them...

And I think they are probably real fans... of 1p5wich.  Who have very few plastic fans, due to no-one paying any attention to them nowadays.

Simple Jack appears to have relaxed the criteria. On previous posts, everybody was "plastic" unless they met these criteria.1. Had to walk to games (clearly no fun going to way matches).2. Never leave Norwich.3. Sing loud and cheer with pride.4. Be a "stout yeoman."5. Be born within the city walls.  .. and the team had  to be composed entirely of Norwich-born (presumably within the city walls) players.

[quote user="Simple Jack"]Someone who actually pays their hard-earned to go to games ie giving vocal and financial support to the team. Compare that with someone who simply watches a stream - no one can hear you shout and you''re not giving financial benefit (technically, you''re depriving the club of income by stealing from it''s main income source ie Sky/BT Sport. Of course, stream watchers are entitled to their opinions it just that those opinions are inconsequential.[/quote]So, Jack, what you are saying is that if someone doesn''t attend every Norwich game then they are not a real fan? Or is it a case of as long as they attend some games, and if so how many maketh the fan? Or for you is it all about the stream? Does someone lose their fan status when they watch one game online? What if they are a season ticket holder, but for one game they have to be in North Scotland to visit a dying relative or something and can''t possibly get back so watch a stream? What if someone watches a stream of a game that isn''t being shown on Sky/BT? Is that still stealing from the club?

Moo

[quote user="M.u.s.t.a.r.d_M.a.t.t.e.r.s"]Simple Jack appears to have relaxed the criteria. On previous posts, everybody was plastic unless they met these criteria.1. Had to walk to games (clearly no fun going to way matches).2. Never leave Norwich.3. Sing loud and cheer with pride.4. Be a stout yeoman.5. Be born within the city walls.  .. and the team had  to be composed entirely of Norwich-born (presumably within the city walls) players.[/quote]And I was doing well up until number 5 (Ok, I used a pretty broad definition of a ''Stout Yeoman''). Damn them building the hospital the wrong side of the ring road! 

Real fan - Morty.

Knows more than the rest. Attends the odd away game and makes sure everyone knows about it. Often comments that other fans aren''t real fans. This clearly makes him the best example of a real NCFC fan. In my opinion, of course.

I no longer buy a pie and a cup of coffee in the ground before the game but eat my own packed up sandwiches to save money.Should I be ashamed?

am I no longer a real fan?

You cannot measure fanaticism , only marvel at its single minded objectivity .

A young man grows up within the city walls and attends every game he can.At age nineteen he finds his employment opportunities limited, so he joins the Royal Anglian Regiment and his travels begin. Is he no longer a fan Simple J ? even though, as a day job he is defending YOUR right to walk to a match.

A real fan is one who supports his team through thick and thin.We are all entitled to a moan and whinge now and again as that is part and parcel of watching football and when thinks are desperate then yes its time to get really vocal with the disapproval. But those desperate days are the last days of Gunn, Grant, Roeder, Hamilton and even the end of Worthy''s reign. Not now!

"Bury Green"

It''s pretty straight forward, a real supporter backs their support of the club with actions not just words.

I was rude to a binner once. Does that count?

I generate enough electricity to power well over a 1,000 homes......I live permanently on Scroby Sands.......

I''m a real fan......

[quote user="Moosheep"]Over the relatively short time that I have been a follower of this forum I have seen numerous insults made regarding a poster''s status as a ''real'' fan. Personally I think this is pitiful as no-one has the right to tell someone who calls themselves a Norwich fan that they are not because they don''t think or behave in a certain way. But of course this is only my opinion. I would therefore love to hear, particularly from those who have used this insult, what people think constitutes a ''real'' fan. Alternatively, if you prefer a more negative approach, you could always give a definition of a ''plastic'' fan.Moo [/quote]I would suggest anyone who follows the team fanatically enough to log on to a message board dedicated to discussing solely that sports team and then have discussions about them pretty much fits the bill. Even if you''re being heavily critical of the team the fact you care enough to log on and criticise them shows your dedication. After all the clubs bigger than Chris Hughton, David McNally, Delia Smith et al. You can guarantee in 10 years time they''ll all be gone, but the club will still be there in some form and we''ll be here slagging off the latest manager, chief exec and owner instead.

I''d say it''s defined by how much you love/care about the club, how much vocal support you give on matchdays and how much you support it financially relative to your worth.

People can''t be judged on matchday attendance or location because it''s just out of a persons control. I have to work on a 0 hour contract because there''s F**K all jobs going in the sh!thole that is Great Yarmouth so except for cup ties I just can''t afford to go. Someone with more money than me who isn''t really arsed about teh club, just goes to watch premiership games for example is not a better fan despite contributing more financially. Equally really I can''t consider myself a better fan than them

A fan is a fan, we should all be considered equal.

[quote user="YellowNets1901"]Real fan - Morty.

Knows more than the rest. Attends the odd away game and makes sure everyone knows about it. Often comments that other fans aren''t real fans. This clearly makes him the best example of a real NCFC fan. In my opinion, of course.[/quote]Bless[:)]Tell you what, you use the search bar (top right of your page) and find examples of where I have told folks that they aren''t real fans.Report back with your findings[Y]

[quote user="YellowNetsAreBetter"]Okay, Simple Jack says a real fan is someone who pays to go to games, and thus their opinion counts. Bit of inference... Seats in the stadium can be booked by people. The set of all people in the stadium count as ''real'' fans. If Simple Jack doesn''t attend one week, moves home for family reasons or something, then his opinion no longer counts, and is allowed to be abused on forums. (This includes board members, chair-people, etc.) Also, the consequence of this statement is that the total number of Norwich City fans can only ever be equal to the capacity of Carrow road. Oh. I think I spotted a flaw in that definition. My view is that a fan is someone who supports the club. Pretty simple, and doesn''t involve belittling others.[/quote]

This is impression I get when I read about posters talking about real fans, so really a club is only as big as what the stadium can hold. So if the real fans get to see every or most league games at Carrow Road, are they only half real fans if they don''t go to cup games?

[quote user="Thorpe end canary"]I will be there tomorrow night with a fair few other real fans. Plastics will be watching on illegal streams in places like Nottingham[/quote]

Waveney - I thought you''d post on this thread before now. So where are 1p5wich playing tonight then? Derby actually got a mention on the BBC sport this morning as they beat QPR. But no mention for your team.