Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Sooo on to Spurs home match...

So i''ve slept on it and nothing has changed. We are going down and Hughton should be sacked for failing to build an acceptable attacking team. There is a minimum requirement and he is not meeting that.

But moving on, Spurs at home. A few days to get over the latest shambles.

Will Howson be back? What about Turner and Bennett x2 too?

Does Hooper need a bit of a break after his poor showing in front of goal?

Does Elmander need to take a long walk off a short pier?

Has Snodgrass stopped crying yet?

Here''s my line up next time out. (I don''t reckon the above injured players will be back)

4-1-2-2-1

Ruddy, Martin, Yobo, Bassong, Olsson, Tettey, Fer, Hoolahan, Redmond, Jonas, RVW.

Sadly we failed in the summer to sign a striker whos any good who can play up top on their own, a Benteke, Bony sort of type (obviously not them). RVW and Hooper are probably good in a 2, but we play our best when we have a 4231 formation. Im sorry but Elmander is awful and offers nothing. May aswell give Becchio a go at least he can get used to playing for when we need him in the championship when everyone else has jumped ship.

Elmander for me goes down as our worst buy in summer. That was the final piece of the jigsaw, a more complete/ robust version of Wes. What an awful showing Elmander has given us since he joined. He doesn''t even care either. There''s no World cup for him to play for, he''s still getting paid decent money and he''s getting old now so there''s no big move to play for. I was completely underwhelmed when we got him and nothing has changed.

I was very happy with our business in summer until it suddenly stopped about 2 players short.

Yobo seems to have plugged one gap and Bennett has improved. Turner is still good and Bassong has recovered from a poor start, but the gap at the other end of the pitch is damning. All this talk about Toivonen and Quagliarella and then some fake Grant Holt walks through the door. That for me was where Hughton started to lose this season.

The reason for my line up above (getting back on point) is that it gets back to nearly what we line up during our best performance of the season (Stoke away).

RVW is due a start at home and now that Tettey is back and can release Fer. I really want to see what Redmond, Fer and Hoolahan can supply.

I would actually use the same team as last night except with Snodgrass out and Pilkington in again. I blame the lack of goals on confidence and that is purely down to the manager. A manager who doesn''t care who is playing well, he will bring in the players he wants to replace them and leave the in form player out of the team and dejected. If he''s willing to do that then surely no one can be confident of securing a starting place no matter how well they''re playing. Our strikers are obviously confidence players. E.g this run at the moment is the first time since he was playing for Scunthorpe that Hooper has gone more than 5 games without scoring.

''We are going down'' - why bother even saying that, you don''t know that and i don''t know that. Stop scare-mongering. On the other hand if i made a thread saying we''re gonna stay up, i''d get abuse no end

It''s my opinion. It''s not certain but if asked the question one way or another, i don''t think we''ll do enough to survive. I respect your opinion that we won''t go down and still believe there is hope. I just can''t see it happening.

As far as the spurs match is concerned I am not sure I would change the formation from the last couple of games - 4231 has been our best formation for a while so would stick with that.    We do however have some questions

The two,  who are our best pairing and should BJ play? For me its Tettey & Fer.   Tettey to stay deep and Fer to be the box to box player,  BJ is a great squad player but his constant conceeding of possession has not improved in three years and is hurting us;  and Tettey is simply superior imo.

The three.    For all the frustrations he creates Redderz is our star midfielder this season,  his defensive work has improved and he causes the opposition more problems than any other attacker we have.    On the other flank Pilks gets my nod as he carries a goal threat and that touch of creative quality that Jonas does not carry.    The difficult one is the central player - which is why not getting the Quag has hurt us so.   It could be either Howson, Elmander, Snoddy or Wes.   Elmander has been best in this role and his link up play suits Hooper;  one without the other and both look ineffective.   Howson simply does not quite create enough,  his assists and key passes remain elusive,  but when he does score its impressive.   He is the visual opposite of Elmander,  the latter looks worse than he really is while Howson always looks like he has more impact on a game than he actually does.   Snodgrass is an untried option here,  with the biggest weakness being just how one footed he is;  could be one worth perservering with especially as a middle of snoddy, pilks, redmond would give the additional benefit of a rotating 3,  similar to the way willian, oscar and harzard rotate.   Wes?  well he remain our most creative central midfielder, more creative passes,  only one to actually drive at an opponents defence and the only one to never hide in a game,  he will always want the ball.  The downside is he has to be central and remains lightweight.    Snoddy or Wes the best options for me.

The lone striker.     A real problem area.   Hooper is ineffective without Elmander.  Ricky lightweight.   Elmander woeful as a single target man.   Becchio clearly a level behind all three and a champs level striker (blimey - even Kei was rightly ahead of him last season).     Right now I would persevere with Hooper,   his link up play has improved across the season but he really does not look like scoring.   I chose him over the equally unlikely to score and woefully lacking in confidence RvW as much to protect the latter from fan hatred,  as his performances before his injury showed he can play that role better than the other options.

An in a nutshell thats why we have struggled this season - we have two core creative attacking positions where we have no form or outstanding candidate combined with a suicidal attempt to appease fans who insisted on playing 442 during the darkest winter months.

Spurs for me

Ruddy

Martin Yobo Bassong Olsson

Tettey Fer

Redderz  Wes  Pilkington

Hooper.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]It''s my opinion. It''s not certain but if asked the question one way or another, i don''t think we''ll do enough to survive. I respect your opinion that we won''t go down and still believe there is hope. I just can''t see it happening.[/quote]

Fair enough jimmy

I''d say Hooper needs a rest. He''s stopped scoring and versus Spurs, i''d like to see RVW given another chance. He''s built a career on thriving against top opposition (like his hattrick versus Man City in europa). I think he is our best chance of a goal at the moment.