Sign in to follow this  
Tumbleweed

Relegation harder to acheive than survival

If we get relegated this season it will probably be one of the greatest acts of self inflicted harm that this club will have suffered. If you look at the stable situation which CH and Co inherited, the waves of optimism and unity, it will actually be quite a considerable achievement to have got us relegated despite all the many many positives existing in June 2012.

Consider our rivals. Palace and Cardiff inferior squads, the latter with the remarkable Tan saga and Malky''s exit with a raw manager unproven in English football, the former with Holloway leaving having signed players he wasn''t even aware of and looking dead and buried a couple of months ago. Sunderland recovering from the Di Canio fiasco, again with an unproven firebrand in charge. Fulham having been on a downward spiral for a while, again a totally unproven manager, a demotivated and misfiring squad. Hull just having been promoted, traditionally that first season always being tough. Swansea finally being found out that it seemed that it was Martinez and Rodgers work rather than Laudrup who piggy backed off the good work of his predecessors. West Ham only a few weeks ago in total disarray, losing 5-0 at Forest in the Cup.

I scratch my head and wonder just how, despite our ownership stability, a supposedly hard headed CEO, a record outlay on players, a full stadium every game and momentum from 3 incredible years, we are where we are and staring down the barrel of a possible, maybe probable, relegation? Hughton sure is some miracle worker.

This has an increasing feel to worthys season,  decent squad where the manager failed to get full potential from it,  uncertainty in tactics before finding the best mix three months too late and so would agree with a self inflicted relegation if it happens.  Whats worse is that this season the level of  other teams in the prem is worse now than then.

As with the worthy year its still in our own hands to attain safety. 

Agree with that Zip. The Board left it too late then as well and only acted when we had sunk to a very low ebb in the Championship. In 04/05 Worthy was in his first season with a less than convincing squad. Hughton came here when we were on a high and with a record budget. No excuse really for the predicament we are now in. I had so much hope for this season, there was genuine cause for optimism despite our brush with the bottom at the tail end of last season.

I still believe if we''d have got Ashton in the summer we would have stayed up that year. Same as this year, why oh why did we not bring in a goalscorer in January?!

The frustration is that unlike in 2005 we do have a good squad of players and i agree if we go down it will be self inflicted and who knows how many years will it take to get back ?