Sign in to follow this  
Beetley Yellow

Norwich v Derby 25-Apr-11

Ancient history I know.... SJ got that injury time winner making it 3-2. I was convinced at that moment we were going up- there was so much belief and optimism in the team, we could take on anyone.

The complete antithesis was 9.25pm last night. We concede a goal and IMO there was no belief anywhere in the team, management and (…many) fans that we could do anything about it. I hate to admit it, but it a gut-feeling appeared again, albeit this time it was not a comfortable one.

A lot of the success in management is making the best of the resources you have. The best managers develop their people so they can improve and convince them all day and every day that they can do a job and do it very well- negativity never comes into it. The best guy I ever worked with made me feel like I could take on and beat the world every time I spoke with him.

We are now reaping the harvest of 18 months of fear and negativity. The ‘mindset’ is now fixed, I think it may be too late to break it, I hope I’m wrong.

[quote user="Beefy is a legend"]So if Hughton is so bad how did his Newcastle side win the Championship with 90 goals and 102pts, and a G.D. of +55?[/quote]

Perhaps the Championship is ''his level''. Perhaps he had a squad at NU that ''should'' have blitzed the Championship (... sorry I can''t recall if this was the case). Maybe, should the worst happen, the plan is to keep him so he can show what a good Championship manager he is.

I admit that''s lots of perhap-ses and maybes (apologies).

From my limited experience of management in industry I have learned that it is relatively simple to manage people and operations when things are going well. The measure of a person is how they cope when things start going against them which, let''s face it, is where we are now (and have been for a number of months).

When the guy running the operation doesn''t give out any vibes that he is in control, that he can positively turn things around, he has the skills or knowledge to cope, he will never be able to fully motivate the team or have their 100% commitment.

I have no doubt CH is a nice guy, he probably has a superb technical knowledge of the game. I''m less sure that he (and his assistants) are PL level quality. Doing nothing to change things when a game goes badly or ''shutting up shop'' (e.g. at 80mins last night) when a game is ours to win are scenarios where the confidence ebbs way. CH has adopted a ''game plan'' to keep us in this league, I''m not sure it is one that going to work out in the long term, either for us or him.

Apologies for all the formatting c**p in the above- why have a preview function when it doesn''t actually show what the post looks like? And where''s the edit button ;-) ?