Sign in to follow this  
Hughtons P45.2

Beefy, LDC and co

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Beefy is a legend"]They could have done with you on here last night Reggie - absolute troll fest of hatred and bile toward the manager and now of course the boardroom. I may disagree with you but at least you make your case in a civilised manner.[/quote]

Noticeable how much livelier the forum was after last nights loss than Saturdays draw.As always the mode is a reflection of the last result.[/quote]
I think it merely highlights which result is more important, we are not going to stay up scraping the odd point at home against the top teams.
We need wins and drawing is no longer a good result, especially at home.

No, I think it merely highlights what I''ve always said. Performance is irrelevant, results are everything.

[quote user="ricardo"]No, I think it merely highlights what I''ve always said. Performance is irrelevant, results are everything.[/quote]

Exactly right. And those who claimed otherwise are frauds. We played the football last night. We created the chances and we missed them. West Ham created nothing just loaded the box and tried to force mistakes. Their fans are ecstatic now. Top half a few weeks after being relegation favs with Big Sam odds on to be the next sacking. Results dictate the mood of the fans. Always have and always will.

I think you summed it up well and correctly, Beefy. The error was not in how Hughton had us playing but in taking off 2 of our biggest threats when he did. Performance wise, we looked comfortable really and always looked like we had a quick break in us (which West Ham were very aware of) so for an away performance I was not disappointed till West Ham staged their late smash and grab which was gutting to say the least. I can''t fault Hughton''s initial tactics but with the benefit of hindsight the substitutions were not a good idea and gave West Ham impetus when they saw we were settling for the draw

I don''t really disagree with that Alex.

I''m not convinced the Redmond substitution was a great move, although as others have said he actually wasn''t involved much in the second half. But irrespective of that we had bossed the majority of the game.

By all means slate the manager and tactics after a Newcastle type performance, but we didn''t lose last night because of the manager and tactics, we lost it because we didn''t take 3 or 4 gilt-edged chances.

What worries me particularly is that so many on here want Hughton out, but have no idea of who to replace him with. All they cite is that whoever it is will get a ''bounce''. That just isn''t necessarily the case. Some do, some don''t. How''s about Cardiff and Fulham, both struggling under their new managers?

Simply bringing in a new manager for the benefit of a potential ''bounce'' is not a sound strategy. And as others have pointed out, there are probably going to be more options available in the summer, whom we can vet over a decent length of time and whom will be able to make use of the transfer window.

[quote user="Alex "] I can''t fault Hughton''s initial tactics but with the benefit of hindsight the substitutions were not a good idea and gave West Ham impetus when they saw we were settling for the draw[/quote]

Seems to me the substitution question is just another stick to beat Hughton with. West Ham didn''t need any impetus and certainly didn''t get it because of the substitutions. With time running down the home team are always going to have a bit of pressure, as we did against Man City. It''s the final big effort and balls were lumped into the box for the big men. Anyone who thinks a home team are never going to have a period of pressure in the late stages has not been watching the game very long.The disappointment was not the substitutions it was the failure of the selected eleven to put the game beyond West Hams reach when they had the chance.

[quote user="ricardo"]

The disappointment was not the substitutions it was the failure of the selected eleven to put the game beyond West Hams reach when they had the chance.
[/quote]

precisely,  the game should have been done and dusted within 60 mins;   we paid the price for missing our chances and falling asleep defending

sometimes i wonder, its about a squad nowadays not eleven players and thats where a manager earns his corn, top managers make subs at the right time to make the biggest impact and dont sub for sub sake, Hughtons sub record is pathetic, the stats prove it. The guy is not good enough bottom line, yes we missed chances but right now Hooper is the best chance we have to nab a goal, leave him out there back him, he was not playing badly, dont bring a guy who could not score on a dartboard with 6 darts.

I see what you''re saying Ricardo, of course West Ham *may* have piled the pressure on in the last 10 mins but i have witnessed us battle to the very end away from home under Hughton so i don''t think those last 10 mins were any sort of a formality for West Ham.

My overiding feeling at the time when Elmander came on for Hooper was ''why?'' - i could understand Hughton wanting to bring on a fresh ''nuisance'' but Hoops would definitely have left the West Ham defenders and mids more wary of piling upfield as we had given numerous warning signs that we were on several occasions quite quick on the counter. The game had every feel of a draw to me, and i suspect West Ham would have taken that until we made, should i say, a slightly ''safe'' substitution. I still feel had we have kept the same team for the last 15-20mins, we''d be talking about a richly deserved draw today which certainly wouldn''t have been the worst result.

I still feel we''ll stay up under Hughton. He had us playing some good football yesterday, and as we all saw there were chances - it''s down to the team now to finish those chances.