Sign in to follow this  
Sooty57

Aquestion for the Hughton outers

Firstly. let me state that I come in peace. I''m not here to wind anyone up or pick a fight. I would just like to hear the views of others, particularly those who are so adamant that Hughton must go at the earliest possible opportunity.

Immediately following last night''s game I once again felt that our loss was down to poor finishing and bad luck. However, in the cold light of day, and looking at the subs CH made, I am becoming more and more convinced that he is not the right man for the job.

What is the alternative though? I can fully understand why some people are saying that doing nothing is not an option and that a new manager could provide the impetus to keep us in the PL, but I cannot think of a single manager available at the moment who would want to come here, and who would be good for the long term future of this club. Maybe in the summer if we stay up there may be a decent long-term manager, but not now. Would you really want to take a chance on another Glenn Roeder?

Also I have yet to see evidence that the magical "new manager" effect actually exists. Several teams in the PL have changed their manager, but only a couple seem to have derived any real benefit from it (one of whom we played last night). For those where it doesn''t work the effect seems to be a long slow decline into obscurity. We were fortunate enough to get Lambert when we slid, but what would have happened if we hadn''t?

I don''t pretend to know the answer. If I did I would be banging on McNally''s door with a bill in my hand.

For the record - Until it is mathematically impossible for us to survive I remain unconvinced that we are going down. By the same token, I am far from convinced that we are staying up.

i dont care who replaces him, anyone will do, we are going down under him, bottom line, get Stevie Wonder he might see where we are going wrong, because hughton sure as hell cant, basic football the idea is to try to win matches a concept he dont seem to uinderstand, Westham were there for the taking last night, he brings off our two best players, even the pundits saying it was a baffling decision, Big Sam was so relieved last nite he knew they got away with it.

To be fair the last couple of performances have been half decent. We are just missing that edge going forward, and while we could say that its the players as they are the ones on the pitch. But it is also the managers and coaching staffs jobs to work on this on the training ground, and there has been no evidence of this since the end of last season!

Last night I think we played well. BUT it angers me how Snodgrass walks straight back into the team and fumbles and falls his way through yet another 90 mins! Add that to the idiotic substitution decisions we can only find ourselves blaming Hughton for the result!

Enough is enough and I beleive he has to go! Who do we bring in? I am sure there is plenty of talented managers out there in the lower divisions and abroad. It may take time to find that perfect fit! So why not just take the gamble and get rid now and let someone like Adams or draft in someone just to end this season! Yeah things might not change and we still go down but I would be less depressed starting next season without Cautious Chris is the championship than with him!

Ok we are not in the bottom 3 and yeah with the right results things can change, but I beleive its not going to happen with Hughton at the helm! and the gamble of a change far out weighs the gamble of keeping him!

I come from the initial standpoint of wanting him as manager and have become disillusioned. Firstly and it is only an opinion i know i am now convinced that if he stays in post we will go down, no doubt about that imo.

I agree that we could make another poor appointment by being knee jerk and we should possibly consider an appointment until the end of the season and reflect at the end of it.

Di Canio and Roeder had short term impact which saved us and Sunderland in the first few months of their appointment. Both became unmitigated disasters in the longer term. we are reaching the point with a handful of games left when we need a blood and guts reaction to get us the 3 or 4 wins which may keep us up. That person may not be who we want in the longer term. This type of person could include the likes of Warnock. I throw it open to thought on who else may be out there to fit the short term shock and awe bill

I come from a similar standpoint as you Yorkshire, without the total conviction of our relegation(yet).

The suggestion of getting someone in for the rest of the season is surely a non-starter. Whilst it would seem an attractive proposition for the club, what manager is going to come here on a 12 game contract? He would have to have at least a 12 month rolling contract, and even then would not have much motivation to keep the squad up if he thought there was a chance of his P45 after 12 games.

Also very often occurring is that the change sparks an immediate success, even if subsequently, the side slips back a little. There are many examples of this.

How does this relate to Norwich? We have a good side on paper, and need a kick start to cause us to surge. We need some imagination, and also players vying for favour with a new manager by commitment. I''ll bet that Wes and Becchio would love to have a chance to impress!

The other way change could help would come from the fact that Hughton is inflexible, and seems to have preference for some players regardless of their performance - e.g. bringing in Snodgrass against Wet Spam, when he has not been in the best of form, dropping Pilks plus playing Redmond on the wrong wing and then substituting Redmond.

Lambert, (or Culverhouse, some suspect) succeeded often because he was prepared to experiment, to be imaginative, even surprising.

Whether there is such a manager about, who doesn''t have Lambert''s faults as well, I don''t know, bur surely McN should be able to determine this. I''m not sure about the force of the argument that there are few excellent candidates about.This problem will face us in any case if we are relegated, as many now think possible, and we have to find a new manager in May.

So the argument may be something like this. If it is better the devil you know, than the one you don''t, should we travel on with Hughton, who has failed badly in 2014 so far, but we trust him somehow to pull things round despite current performance and results? Or is it better to gamble rather on a newcomer who could bring in a changed atmosphere and method and could turn round performances?

Or is it too late, in which case we could well be doomed?

This is where I have come from too, i was one of the patient ones who was quite happy to go along with Hughton and give him his chance but that ship has long sailed and now i''ve gone from being one of his biggest supporters to realising that we are long overdue a change of management.

For me though, the biggest failing was by the board in January. We had to back him or sack him and neither have been done. We are crying out for a support striker/ attacking mid type player to play between Fer and the striker and we did nothing.

Elmander has been totally useless for us and that should have been realised and rectified in January. Quite frankly that decision alone is beyond belief. Hoolahan should have been replaced and sold long ago but nope, we''re hanging him out to dry where he can lose his fitness and confidence after doing nothing wrong apart from not quite be up to sustainable premiership standard. Fox has turned into a shadow of the player he was when Lambert was here, as did Barnett, Ward, Surman, Becchio (well the player he joined as), Morison.

Hughton/ the board have destroyed our nucleus and not properly replaced it. I don''t mean quality wise, I mean spirit wise. Our team is now full of bottle jobs who haven''t got a clue how to win a game of football.

I sincerely hope Hughton comes out fighting and somehow strings it together but i''m highly sceptical he will. Perhaps he can broker a deal with Spurs for the next match!

Similar to the OP, after watching the match last night my view was that we failed to win because of a failure to take some really good chances which we had through the game, turned into a defeat by a bad mistake on a cross by Ruddy. So I blame the players more than the manager.

On reflection I agree the substitutions were poor.  I''m not convinced it affected the result though, because West Ham still weren''t getting much going forward, it was a case of one cross being poorly defended and that can happen in any game.

The question for me is who you would bring in to replace him.  I see on this board umpteen threads calling for Hughton to go right now but not many suggestions for who to bring in.  On this thread, most posters haven''t even had the courage to make a suggestion.  One has put forward Warnock - well, at least he''s put forward a name, even if I think it would be someone who''d make things worse, but each to his own opinion.  Now I''m sure plenty of people will say "we should have sacked him ages ago when so-and-so was still available".   Although I''m not convinced by the appointments other teams have made so far this season, and in any case, short of a time machine we''re stuck where we are now and have to make the best of it.

So of course I''m still very worried as you''d expect when we''re just 2 points above relegation.  But I''m still not convinced by the idea of changing our manager when no serious candidates are being suggested.

Warnock might well keep us up in the short term, but if he did take over on a short-term contract until May and kept us up, surely the board would have to extend that contract, and I wouldn''t want him here long-term. None of the other names that get bandied about (Clarke, Zola, Di Matteo etc.) would be better in the long-term IMO – the best option might be another Lambert-esque risk, someone like Steven Pressley perhaps. It''s still conceivable that we could stay up – if Fulham and Cardiff continue to stagnate and someone else goes on a bad run, we might well get enough points to stay up if recent performances start turning into points on the board.

Whatever happens, though, I can''t see how Hughton can be given another transfer window and another season, irrespective of what division we''re in.

It''s not the job of the fans to identify who the next manager should be, but the idea that there''s no-one available at the minute is simply laughable.We are a club in the Premier league for god''s sake, not some tinpot league 2 club struggling to survive. We''d be seen as an ideal club for many up and coming managers, not to mention a great choice for more experienced hands looking for a club that doesn''t just fire the manager every 2 mins, as well as having an excellent and loyal fanbase, great stadium, excellent facilities, youth cup winning side and superb area to live in (and within short distance of London to boot). We ARE a very attractive option for most managers outside of the very biggest clubs.As a simple example, we''d be able to bring someone like Rijkaard in without any real issues AFAIK, currently working at a school in the US, he''d likely jump at the chance to get back into top flight management and wouldn''t cost us a fortune in compensation either, and that''s just ONE example, there''s probably dozen''s of good alternatives available (either with or without us paying compensation) but the board have to be the ones to take the necessary action to decide WHO out of those they want in the role.First we have to dispose of Hughton however, and until that happens this is nothing more than idle conjecture...