Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

Peter Crouch? What is the problem...you don't rate him!

Why are half the people on this message board worried whether Peter Crouch plays or not? I am worried because I think he is one of the best strikers in the Premiership and was a ''snip'' at £2million. However, I got blasted on here for saying that and nearly everyone (apart from one or two of you) told me he is over-rated and never worth it.

Now he has got 13 goals for a team who are bottom and everyone is worrying!

Sorry, just had to get it off my chest.

I''m worried about him playing. Why? Because he''s bloody good!

Mainly because he has only started scoring recently. There is a reason why Villa offloaded him and why other teams werent interested.

If you want to play wimbledon ''80s style football he is fantastic. Bang it up field to his rough location and let him knock it down, hold it up or flick it on. He will allways be a great threat at set pieces and from anything thrown into the box with decent height on it.

For me the reason why he is only worth £2 million is consistancy. Isnt he about 24-25? Yet he has never been in a relatively successful side. If he was truely quality Villa would have kept him. But he doesnt fit the mould of a team that is attempting to play attractive football, he hasnt got the greatest of movement for a start.

Sure to a team like us he is worth the money but I simply dont think he is up to top half prem standards. When you compare him to Ashdon I think that Ashdon is the better buy. More goals to start ratio and all round a better player imo.

Ashdon is quick, skillful (what a step over!), reads the game brilliantly and even though he is only 20ish has scored hatfulls of goals in League one, the championship and is now setting the premiership alight. He is consistant and a predetor infront of goal, thats worth the extra couple of quid!

Also I would again like to point out that we probably didnt have £3million at the beggining of the season, let alone 2!

It was expensive for a reserve team player struggling to find form and having never lived up to the hype that enticed Villa to buy him in the first place, at least not untill the later stages of this season.

I wouldnt worry about it to much Canary Boy,posters on here change there minds as often as the weather & tend to go with the flow & follow what other certain posters say. I dont think Crouch is one of the best strikers in the Prem but he certainly is a handfull & would be useful to any side. At £2 mil he was a snip but everyone has the green n yellow tinted glasses on now & only have eyes for Ashton. ''Crouch who?'' they say!

I have always rated Crouch and against our defence he will be a big danger as we give away far too many headers and allow dangerous crosses into the box. If we can force them to play it on the ground where he is weaker then we should be able to stifle him. But he showed us when he was here that he is a good player, but perhaps not as much of an all rounder as Deano. If Nigel had signed Crouch I would have been very happy. Just hope Shacks is given the job of marking him not Flem.

hes a great threat.

his height is a real problem, cut-out the crosses and we have a chance to keep him quiet. Southampton seem reluctent to pass upfront, can we pick up on this?

Secondly, maybe get shackell to man-mark him?

I do rate Crouch as he did well for us last season, however I rate Ashton higher and think we would be better of sending that sort of cash on midfield and defence.

I do worry about him on sat, assuming he plays, as old players have a habit of scoring against their old clubs - look at sven & leon over the last couple of matches!

OTBC 

Crouch is absolutely superb - you never got "blasted" by me.

Oh, and for all his height and ability to head, his real talent lies with the ball at his feet. He is a threat. In an ideal world I hope Southampton go down, we stay and buy him in the summer.

I agree that crouch is in great form at the moment, but that might be all it is. He wasn''t exactly awesome when on loan to us playing in the first div and only managed 4 goals for us during his time. Yes, he''s scoring and playing well know, but how long will that last??? and if he really is superb why didn''t he produce the goods at villa???

For me there is no doubt, i would choose Ashton over Crouch every single time and yes, while we worry about the threat that crouch will pose on saturday, what do you think the soton players, staff and fans will be thinking with regards to the threat that Ashton will pose to them?? I know who i''d rather have in my team and thats the man we already have, Deano really IS superb.

Crouch is a good player - but Ashton is an excellent player - so even though I lobbied hard to get him here at the start of the season, the outcome for us has turned out better.

As for saturday, Crouch is a good player - and Fleming isn''t. Our defence needs to be on top form.

Just so you all know, the So''ton evening news last night reported that Crouchy is expected to be fit for Saturday

They will feed him in high balls from start to finish and hope Phillips can feed off him. Phillips is the bigger danger - anything outside the box, we should let Crouchy have a free header and just make sure we pick it up, simple eh

Mark .Y.

[quote]Why are half the people on this message board worried whether Peter Crouch plays or not? I am worried because I think he is one of the best strikers in the Premiership and was a ''snip'' at £2million. H...[/quote]

He can even scored when he is unfit and got a hamstring injury.

I love Ashton, and Ashton is better, but we still should have bought him!

Crouch is proving his point - murdering our happless defence - seems there are only strikers on the field - both defences are a total joke........ watching it live on canal+ I cannot believe what I am seeing.

We can''t cope with him - like we couldn''t cope with Andy Johnson. This is insane - 3-3!!!!! Graham Taylor said that the two central defenders are walking around staring at the grass. But the grass ain''t to blame, so pick yourselves up boys. MUST WIN....

[quote]What is Canal+ Helsinki canary ?[/quote]

a tv channel

Crouch is good. But in the longterm ashton will be the best signing. (assuming he stays if we go down). Also, i still think Soton will go down so Crouch will not have saved us either if we go down