Sign in to follow this  
whoareyou?

Some of the vitriol...

...aimed at the club, management, players and fellow supporters on here is quite disgraceful.Some of you need to have a long hard look at yourselves.Football always has its ups and downs, its part and parcel of the game. Having supported City for nearly 50 years now, i know there will always be more dull and bad moments than good ones, you just have to accept that is the way it is.I really wonder what is behind some of the more acidic comments on here.We really all ought to be pulling in the same direction until the end of the season, but that isn''t the case sadly.

Constructive critisim of any facet of our club is perfectly acceptable to me. The in/out polarisation is pretty unhealthy although I understand that with strong opinion comes strong emotion. The tone of both sidse of the debate can be stupidly antagonistic.

That said if we want our club to score goals I think that we should not be sapping the confidence of our strikeforce so vehemently with blaming posts. For example ,my beleif is that any striker in the league would struggle under the approach CH has taken until very recently.

[quote user="whoareyou"]...aimed at the club, management, players and fellow supporters on here is quite disgraceful.

Some of you need to have a long hard look at yourselves.

Football always has its ups and downs, its part and parcel of the game. Having supported City for nearly 50 years now, i know there will always be more dull and bad moments than good ones, you just have to accept that is the way it is.

I really wonder what is behind some of the more acidic comments on here.

We really all ought to be pulling in the same direction until the end of the season, but that isn''t the case sadly.

[/quote]

Morning co co.

This is a discussion forum. We''re playing terribly, and looking like going down. I''d be more upset if all the fans exhibited such blissful ignorance. Message boards are for discussing. That''s their actual purpose. And right now there a lot to discuss. I think the level of negativity is natural, as so many have been able to see what happening all season, and gradually more and more people are realising it. We''ve had ample opportunity this season to put this all to bed. Fans have every right to ask questions. Everyone has a choice over whether or not the read or contribute to these boards. If you don''t like what''s being discussed, don''t read it.

"Are you, by any chance, Lakey''s alter ego, whoareyou ?

Because if not, you are doing a damn good job of aping his patronising, preaching, easily satisfied style."

I believe the post is aimed at the level of vitriol Reggie, not the fact that there are differing opinions - more how aggressively they are expressed.

You largely seem a fair and level-headed sort - you''re not disagreeing with that are you?

Buzz, chucking insults around & throwing sneering, patronising abuse at people is not discussion, it''s not even ''negativity'', it''s just vile. It''s the behaviour of an eight year old & contributes nothing.

I agree with you there Ron, but feelings are running high at the moment. And for good reason. I could have said that, rather than waffling on. There''s never any need for personal insults on a discussion forum.

Agree with the OP.

There is a lot of juvenile insult throwing going on.

Calling CH a clown and clueless is something they wouldn''t do face to face, so why do it at all?

Last season, by dint of some unexpectedly good results, especially at the Ethiad, we escaped the relegation pack, and everyone breathed a sigh of relief.It had been a largely disappointing second half of the season, with relegation form offset by the very good run in the autumn.

This season has to be described also as disappointing, and there has been no long unbeaten run to offset it. The team is playing reasonably well, but we are struggling to gain points - 6 in eleven games is it?

So there are two sides - the one saying that somehow we shall pull through, and it''s too late to change the manager and coaching staff, while the other is fearful that there is little sign of this as we continue to self-destruct and to fail to score goals.

Both positions are honest and both are passionately held, and this forum should enable debate. There is no excuse for dismissing others merely because they hold a different view, or calling them names or smearing them. This is at best childish. What we need is a mature and adult debate while at the same time all of us support our team as fully as we can.

Sadly, it seems likely that one side or the other will be vindicated in May, and the temptation will be to crow, "We told you so!" This would be petty, and the discourse then should be about the way forward in whatever situation we find ourselves..

An excellent post Salopian. Expresses exactly how I feel.I''m not sure that any of us would appreciate being called "clueless" etc in our efforts to do a job of work and making such remarks about our manager is simply wrong. The fact is that CH played in some very good Spurs teams, he likes to play football the right way, he''s had success with other clubs, and has a good eye for spotting decent players. It''s equally true that at the moment we''re just not getting the results on the field that we all want, and I think there are many and various resons for this as discussed in these forums. I have no doubt that CH wants to get us playing well and scoring goals, and we all hope he succeeds. Something does need to change, however, to turn round our fortunes this season and I''m inclined to think that we need freshen up our coaching team.

''Clueless'' , ''Coco'' etc all name flinging by people who ought to know better. Like someone said, its what an 8 year old child does and it achieves the sum total of nothing other than making the name thrower look a fool who is unable to express their dissatisfaction any other way.

As said, most people would not do that to anyone''s face so why is it acceptable to post it on here? In fact some of the vitriol on here would either get you arrested or a smack in mouth if it was said in person.

I''m not saying anyone can''t have a differing point of view but I fail to see what anyone hopes to achieve by some of the posts made.

I see this thread has even got some of the same names thrown at me simply because i made a point they don''t agree with. How predictable some are!

Oh and were McNally to bring down the axe on CH in the next few weeks, how would same players that are being denigrated on here now, then feel about wanting to pull the team out of this potential mess?

[quote user="Fuzzar"]"Are you, by any chance, Lakey''s alter ego, whoareyou ?

Because if not, you are doing a damn good job of aping his patronising, preaching, easily satisfied style."

I believe the post is aimed at the level of vitriol Reggie, not the fact that there are differing opinions - more how aggressively they are expressed.

You largely seem a fair and level-headed sort
- you''re not disagreeing with that are you?[/quote]Very decent of you to say so, Fuzz.But sadly you are rather missing my point. Of course I''m not disagreeing that it''s perfectly reasonable to have differing opinions. I''m afraid one man''s vitriol is another''s banter.No I was suggesting, lightheartedly, that the OP''s preaching style  ..''it''s time some of you took a long hard look at yourselves'' type stuff was rather reminiscent of some of Lakey''s recent didactic offerings.

"Very decent of you to say so, Fuzz.

But sadly you are rather missing my point. Of course I''m not disagreeing that it''s perfectly reasonable to have differing opinions. I''m afraid one man''s vitriol is another''s banter.

No I was suggesting, lightheartedly, that the OP''s preaching style ..''it''s time some of you took a long hard look at yourselves'' type stuff was rather reminiscent of some of Lakey''s recent didactic offerings."

I accept that "long hard look at yourselves" has a whiff of the pulpit about it, but the OP is about vitriol and he makes a valid point.

The line between banter and vitriol is regularly overstepped.

And I didn''t get the ''light-hearted'' in your reply, maybe due to the lack of an exclamation mark!

Reggie, I''m sorry " one man''s vitriol is another''s banter" is redefining the English language.

Calling someone a (o(ksucklng @rseli(king fu(kwlt is not, nor never will be, banter.

The next thing is someone will be accusing Hughton of paedophillia; would that be banter?

[quote user="Fuzzar"]"but the OP is about vitriol and he makes a valid point.

The line between banter and vitriol is regularly overstepped.

And I didn''t get the ''light-hearted'' in your reply, maybe due to the lack of an exclamation mark![/quote]Well, OK. But perhaps suggesting that someone is another person''s ''alter ego'' might be construed as tongue in cheek, regardless of whether followed by an exclamation mark .(I don''t do emoticons and the like...........)But yes, it''s fair to say that the boundary between banter and vitriol has become rather blurred, but yet again it depends on an individual''s take on it. You may find something very insulting, whereas another might find it highly amusing . Rather like comedy on TV ?In fairness the same applies to attitudes to ''preaching'' , I guess.

[quote user="ron obvious"]Reggie, I''m sorry " one man''s vitriol is another''s banter" is redefining the English language.

Calling someone a (o(ksucklng @rseli(king fu(kwlt is not, nor never will be, banter.

The next thing is someone will be accusing Hughton of paedophillia; would that be banter?[/quote]Not the same thing, Ron. The former would be merely a gratuitous insult. Not for you or me to decide whether it is banter or not.The latter something that CH could sue for libel over.It is covered in law, and regularly used in libel/slander cases.

Reggie, I would suggest that context is everything. It is a well known fact of English life that you may well greet you best friend by swearing at him. But only if your friendship is unassailable.

That does not apply here.

Reggie

ban·ter (băn′tər)

n.

Good-humored, playful conversation.

v. ban·tered, ban·ter·ing, ban·ters

v.tr.

To speak to in a playful or teasing way.

v.intr.

To exchange mildly teasing remarks.