Sign in to follow this  
Snakepit Ric

Elmander

Why does Chris hughton continue to start him and bring him on , he''s got to be one of the worst strikers I''ve seen at the club for a long time ,

What does he bring to the team ?! , poor scoring record , average in the air , slow , no skill , I''m struggling to find something!!

Didn''t buy him Jim but the loan fee and wages for the year make him as expensive as Redmond. Seems to be a part of Hughton''s plan to ruin City.

The most annoying part of his game is the constant fouls he commits it stops momentum and gives the opposition a chance to regroup . He is pants should be nowhere near the premier league just a shame we are stuck with him.  

interestingly I thought he fouled a lot too - but averaging far less than one a game so far this season,  and 70% fewer than a certain grant holt.  

''Part of the plan to ruin city''

Oh yeah i''m sure he''s scheming away, in a dark room with just a candle over his paper. Fans on here dearie me. But hey watcha gonna do

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]interestingly I thought he fouled a lot too - but averaging far less than one a game so far this season,  and 70% fewer than a certain grant holt.  [/quote]

Hope for your sake, your not stating Salamander is a better player than Holt, because if you are the men in white coats will certainly be knocking on your door!!!

[quote user="mrs miggins"]''Part of the plan to ruin city''

Oh yeah i''m sure he''s scheming away, in a dark room with just a candle over his paper. Fans on here dearie me. But hey watcha gonna do[/quote]But again like with Hughton most fans called it right and knew what a crap signing he was , maybe we should sign him up full time to get us back up eh ? although in a decades time he will be getting on a bit .

Running around for a start.

Not very often I admit, but he brings players into the game and gives them chance at goal.

Yet again, another forward not played to his strengths under CH.

Hoopers best scoring period was while playing up top with Elmander

RVW runs around plenty. Have no idea where this idea he doesn''t comes from. Have you actually seen him play?

When he''s not running around aimlessly it''s clearly managerial instruction, Hooper has been limited in his aimless running, and when they played together only one of them would.

Bring players into the game , I''m yet to see this would rather rvw any day , natural goal scorer as shown at sporting , unlucky this year with injuries and confidence , where as elmanders had plenty of chances and been avarage at every club ,

And hoopers best form was nothing to do with elmander it was himself !!

Remember at Bolton he looked utterly pathetic until that last half of the season when he turned it on for them (looking for a new contract, that was McVeighs favourite game for us too!) Perhaps he''ll come good for us? Clutching at straws but maybe the mercenary in him will panic and make him try harder.

I just don''t think he works as a lone striker. Not enough about him. Alongside Hooper he can cause a bit of trouble but that''s about it.

Which makes the West Ham substitution even more bizarre.

How silly would coco look for bringing him here and then not playing him?? There''s your answer to why he''s played. However you''ve got to admit he''s a really good substitute i''d take hooper for him it''s a complete no brainer.....isnt it?

Yeah bringing hooper off for him really made my night lol. I think them Bolton fans should know , I had the sane reaction when we signed him. I was amazed but thought give the lad a chance.

If he''s the highest paid I want to get a divvy out of it for watching his terrible play this year , and scoring record

lol - how does me pointing a foul rate make me rate elmander better than holt? some peoples jumping to conclusions are logic defying.

What is clear is that elmander is not as bad as some slate but he has not starred either.

What is very clear is that his best performances come when starting alongside Hooper - all of his assists (more than any other city player) have come in games with hooper.

Ditto Hooper has scored all of his goals when elmander is on the pitch with him - is hooper a little lost without him, does johan feed him chances and create some space; 6 goals says maybe. Also Hooper has yet to make an impact after an hour in the league - which is probably adds some weight to subbing him in the second half as he does visibly tire.

You don''t get to have the career Elmander has had unless you can play a bit.

But is he really value for the kind of money we must be paying for his services?

Is he an improvement on Holt? No. Is he an improvement on Morison? Not really or not enough. And it''s hard to see what he gives us that Kamara or Becchio couldn''t.

It''s a bit like Harry Kane last season. Hughton knew we needed another striker but he didn''t get the one we needed.

Personally I think he was brought in as a back up to Hooper and RVW and to give another option up front in a tactical change/impact way.

Because of injuries, poor form and formations not working he has been used far more than was ever envisaged.

No player has had a great season, all have shown form in patches or parts of games, he is no different to any other player in that respect.

On the plus side he isn''t afraid to put his head in where it hurts on the minus side he doesn''t win the number of headers that he should.

Wont be here next season and I don''t see him starting many more games,

I think that he was signed partly on his reputation a few years back, when he did score a few goals. I suspect that he was also signed as a big man who could act as a target-man, and he has done this once or twice.

I like "his never give up" attitude, but I have to admit that he has generally contributed little going forward. The big question is why he is still a Swedish international. Perhaps they use him in ways which we have not yet discovered.

[quote user="Salopian"] The big question is why he is still a Swedish international. Perhaps they use him in ways which we have not yet discovered.[/quote]

Because he''s an ideal partner for Ibrahimovic.

Elmander will do a bit of the dirty work as such and Ibra can do what he wants. He loves being the main man and obviously he is, by miles and miles, the best player Sweden have got* so it works ok for them to have a less eye-catching player like Elmander alongside him.

*Apart from Martin Olsson, of course.

Moreover, if we had Ibra upfront for us you wouldn''t really care who was playing alongside him.

For nearly the last two seasons no striker has done very for us. He hasn''t impressed but it seems a bit scapegoaty to single him out as the guy has only been loan for a few months, it seems he is being disproportinately criticised as a reaction to prolonged low scoring at the club.

Hooper looks good and has found the net, but not often enough really, its clearly a difficult to score or create regularly at this club at the moment. So I don''t think he''s that bad, or very good, he''s just in a team that doesn''t score a lot.