Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

On the site at 6pm - interview with McNally

Is it the interview where he reveals whether the Grand National is being shown on the TV''s in the bars?

can you ask him if he and the board are ''still embarrassed'' ? and if not why not because plenty are, and why he isnt doing anything about it ?

can you also ask him why the manager insists on not making any real changes in personnel , tactics and footballing intent despite such shocking form ? given the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results

and, most importantly, can you ask him how long he thinks HIS position will be tenable should he leave it to late to get rid of clueless chris and norwich go down

Reckon the message will be along the lines of, there won''t be any managerial change and urges all fans to get behind the team to help the survival bid. Also we''ve been unlucky lately and we still have faith in hughton.

My question be something along the lines of this:

Recently you stated that you''d rather die than suffer relegation back into the Champioship. Should the worse happen can we expect to see you preform hari-kari on the centre spot at halftime in lieu of the ever popular Crossbar Challenge and indeed the Zorb race?

good commonsense interview for me - balanced view and good perspective that we are too close to the bottom, with some disappointing but improved performances meaning we can also get out of it. Well managed club who will not make the brainless decision of appointing a manager for weeks only. Never felt uncomfortable to me and I felt that he only stated the position every manager is aware of.

I think someone (T or Purple canary perhaps) did a piece about the stunning correlation with turnover to finishing place - if we have a budget that is in the 17-20th bracket anything outside of that is a good season.

the question put by goreham were ones regularly championed on here.

However McNally thought it would go or whatever he thought he was saying the media are certainly treating the interview as an ultimatum.

It seems clear that they have considered sacking Hughton but have held back because their not sure the potential replacements would do any better - neither am I.

We may not actually need many more wins (2 or 3 could be enough) to stay up but equally we don''t look like winning any at the moment.

Tottenham should be a loss, or at best a point if they have an off day. Villa we are also likely to lose because of the Lambert/Holt dream team factor. So the question is would they sack him with just 10 games remaining? Would that give anyone enough time to do anything?

Losing the next 2 would certainly make the Stoke game a must win. So it''s a massive gamble whether to stick or twist after the inevitable Villa defeat. If we lost 2 then beat Stoke it could give the players a bit of confidence going into the crucial Soton, Sunderland, Swansea, West Brom, Fulham games - a good run here could easily see us safe. Lose the next 2 and lose against Stoke and I would say we''re down.

spudgfsh wrote the following post at 2014-02-15 2:03 AM:

However McNally thought it would go or whatever he thought he was saying the media are certainly treating the interview as an ultimatum.

If your boss tells you that your work hasn''t been up to scratch and you must improve it, that is an ultimatum isn''t it?

What else can you call it?

Thanks for the link. I thought it was an excellent interview - timely too. David McNally was, and is, the man for the job and we will do well to keep him.  Chris Hughton is fulfilling his remit and is doing OK with the resources he has and the constraints with which he has to work within and I think the Board can be trusted to make the right decisions at the right time.

McNally looked subdued. There were a couple of interesting quotes. When asked about Hughton and substitutes he said:"Game management is a key part of a football manager''s job, a huge part."Which could be read as an implied criticism. More obvious was when he mentioned to Goreham that Canary Call had beem full of fans calling for 4-4-2:"They got 4-4-2 for a while. I am not sure as a football supporter that was the ideal formation for us."Ouch. The CEO effectively accusing the manager of being weak-willed enough to bow to idiot public opinion. As to a sacking this season, I didn''t get a sense of that. There was no talk of a replacement in mind. It was much more something that would be carefully reviewed.The one certainty is that the interview killed off any idea that Hughton would be kept on if we got relegated.

Having just watched the interview, I''m satisfied that he''s got it under control. We all want the same thing so hopefully we can push over the line.

hughton has always played a 442 formation, so once hooper and RVW everyone expected him to try it and don''t think it''s him giving into pressure. Mcnally''s point was basically ''hughton is the manager for a reason, he''s done pretty well so far. Everyone thought 442 would work, but it didn''t and hughton recognised this.''

imo

McNally is a shrewd interviewee. But from his answers you can clearly hear that he wasn''t happy with the style of football earlier in the season and felt we weren''t creating enough.

I think it''s realistic to believe that Hughton did indeed face a must win game(s) as far as his job goes.

But on the flip side you get the impression that McNally isn''t certain that there is a better candidate out there.

Whilst the results aren''t right McNally is clearly happier with the style of football of late. As such there''s no doubt in my mind that he''s going to give Hughton until the end of the season to get the results to accompany that style of football.

A style which I personally believe is far too negative. Eg the stupid substitutions and resulting points loss at Upton Park.

Stick or twist time. Personally I''d twist.