Sign in to follow this  
Patches OHoolahan

The solution to our number 10 problems?

Cast your minds back a couple of years to the halcyon days of our first season back in the premier league with Paul Lambert at the helm, and that away match against Swansea. Do you remember that we switched formation at the half to translate our dominance into goals? Elliot Bennett was moved to play in behind our strike pairing, and was superb, posing a constant threat with his direct running, and setting up Holt for his second goal.

With Bennett''s return from injury approaching imminently, could he be the solution to our issues at number 10? Admittedly this is more of a long term perspective as he may not be match-fit in time to make a difference this season but he undoubtedly has quality in that sort of a role, and with confidence, he can be a real asset to the club.

I''ve always been surprised he hasn''t been deployed there more as I felt in that Swansea game he really stood out- much more than he normally does on the wing.

However I highly doubt we''ll throw a newly-recovered player back in to the side at the expense of those already in the team. And by that I mean, Hughton won''t drop Snodgrass.

Howson is due back in a couple of weeks, could he provide what is lacking? If both become available which one would you play?

Bennett there is a bloody good shout actually. I had forgotten how well he did there.

I agree with the first response in that he''s got better in our minds since his injury, but he''s not "championship at best" he has shown to be a capable premier league player and will provide a valuable outlet for us when he''s back fit.

I do think we should give him a go off the bench in behind the striker as he can hit a ball well if given space, he''s fleet footed and with a bit of confidence, he''ll potentially be the answer.

I would personally rather move Snodgrass into this position and let Bennett play on the right. Dont think Snodgrass''s attributes suit a wide player, least not in this division. Dont think Snodgrass would slow down the attacks or lose us the impetus when he checks back onto his stronger side if he were in the middle. Could have a similar impact to when we moved Wes inside from off the wing. If I remember correctly, Hughton played Snodgrass in the hole at the very start of both their careers here (or at least he did in pre-season friendlies), and it didnt really work, but maybe they gave up too soon

I think its harsh to refer to Bennett as a championship player, he''s demonstrated previously what an impact he can make when he has a decent run in the side. As to who I''d have between Bennett and Howson in that role, Howson is much more likely to be played there this season, but in the longer term, I really think Bennett has something to offer. He''s not so combative as Howson, but to my mind he''s more creative. I''m sure he could also make a decent full-back, but I think that would be a waste of his talents.

I am with CUSDP on Bennett; is a good player from the bench at best for me.

Howson could be; but whether he will get fit enough in time to make a difference is harder to know; if the injury is a severe as rumoured it may be a month before he is starting again.

Another factor with JH in the number 10 role is just 2 assists (as well as the 5 goals) in 57 appearances. That does not scream playmaker/creator but more box to box player (by way of comparison and not saying he is a better option wes has 11 assists and 7 goals in 75 (both prem games only)

The quicker Hoswon is back in tandem with Fer & Tettey the better, but I am not sure he is a no. 10.