Sign in to follow this  
unique

Lest we forget

5th round of the FA Cup and Norwich City supporters are left twiddling their thumbs on a Saturday afternoon with little or no interest in the football weekend.

Without treading old ground over the results and standard of football in the PL under Hughton this past year, it mustn''t be ignored that with Villa, Luton, Man Utd and Fulham, Hughton has overseen four of the most inept Cup performances in recent Norwich history.i

Im no Hughton fan, but playing devils advocate for a second...

Under lambert we lost 4-0 to MK dons at home, Leceister at home, Leyton Orient at home & a no show at Carlisle

And Lambert was responsible for four of the most inept ones too, maybe 6 if you include the cup games when we were in League 1Mk Dons - H  0-4    hopelessLeicester  - H   1-2   just poor team selection and performanceBlackburn - A   1-3   just poor Orient       -  H  0-1   shades of LutonSunderland - H  1-4 Carlisle.      -  A  1-3

Just another excuse to have a go at a manager..........

Cup performances under Lambert in his first two seasons were an irrelevance. Promotion was the priority and that was achieved with no distraction.

As a Pl side, and one expecting to establish themselves mid table, the Cups should have been a welcome attraction, the results and performances were therefore a lot worse with Hughton in charge.

Norwich''s status when a lower league club bears no comparison.

I dunno, that Leicester result was a disgrace which lead to a poor run of form. Or felt like it at the time.

The Fulham result was similar, but could be put down to the importance of a relegation battle.

In one respect the cup games during L1 days were irrelevant, and was reasonably happy that we didn''t progress that far.

[quote user="Thorpe end canary"]It was never like this under the messiah. Every weekend was exciting even if we weren''t playing you felt anticipation for the next game[/quote]I think the only thing you ever felt while you were thinking about Paul Lambert was your penis, you need to let go (of both) pal he''s gone and he aint never coming back.

I think its fair to say Lambert made no secret that he wasn''t interested in the cups and I''m not so sure that Hoots is/was that much more enthusiastic.

Looking at attendances most supporters in the country seem to reflect that view

Its a fact of life that teams will not give the emphasis to the cup, particuarly in the early rounds. If the draw is kind and you find yourself in the latter stages then it might be different.

Interesting reaction to the Southampton loss yesterday. Considering they are one of only two clubs without a lot to play for this year I was a bit surprised.  Then again apparently Sunderland made 9 changes. And won!

I haven''t bothered with the cup for years. Can''t actually remember the last time I watched us in the Cup. As Bury says, looking at attendances I''m not alone.

The FA Cup has completely lost its way and has sold its soul to TV coverage. Of the eight 5th round ties, I would guess only two ties kicked off at the same time. The fact that the games are covered by BT and ITV doesn''t help it''s cause.

Its disruption of the PL programme quite possibly causes resentment amongst many football fans. It could learn an awful lot from the Carling Cup. Ties are all played midweek, there are no replays, all ties are decided on the night by penalties if need be,and there isn''t the total nonsense of playing the semis at Wembley.

Now that the pitches of the PL and Championship teams are of such a high quality throughout the season, the sight of one of the big clubs struggling against a minnow on a mud patch, no longer has much appeal.