Sign in to follow this  
Militant Canary

Mark Robins. Discuss.

Just a feeling, but any shortlist of replacement managers MUST include MR. And I''d imagine he''d be pretty close to the top.

He has done a great job wherever he has been - getting the most out of teams (such as Barnsley & now Huddersfield) that would struggle and be expected to be relegated from the Championship.

Not especially experienced, which is the only drawback, but as close to a genuine City legend as you can possibly get, so should be able to get the feel-good factor back at Carrow Road... as everybody knows, that is fundamentally important for a club of our stature.

Just a thought.

[quote user="Militant Canary"]Just a feeling, but any shortlist of replacement managers MUST include MR. And I''d imagine he''d be pretty close to the top.

He has done a great job wherever he has been - getting the most out of teams (such as Barnsley & now Huddersfield) that would struggle and be expected to be relegated from the Championship.

Not especially experienced, which is the only drawback, but as close to a genuine City legend as you can possibly get, so should be able to get the feel-good factor back at Carrow Road... as everybody knows, that is fundamentally important for a club of our stature.

Just a thought.[/quote]

The feel good factor will return quite quickly once we start scoring a few goals.   As for legends returning it is not always a good idea.  The only legend that has worked as manager here was Stringer - and he never left in the first place.  Then the Gunn/Deehan/Butterworth experiment didn''t go so well....

If Robins has the credentials he would be considered, I''m sure, for any future manager position, but I''m not going to state the obvious.....

I guess that when the time comes when the club have a vacancy that Mark Robins name will be amongst the candidates, at least in the media. He has a decent record with a career win ratio similar to our current Manager.

Do not understand this ''played for the club'' so should be considered for manager.

The last man to do a decent job here and was an ex-player was Martin O''Neill. And that was a short term as both player and manager, so who''s to know how that would''ve panned out if Chase not upset him.

If we look at recent ''managers'' like Gunn and Grant we should steer well clear, unless they are a proven quality manager.

in my lifetime, the best managers we''ve ever had were not related to the club prior, those being: Ken Brown, Worthy, Walker and Lambert. Absolutely no link whatsoever.

[quote user="Skijumptoes"]If we look at recent ''managers'' like Gunn and Grant we should steer well clear, unless they are a proven quality manager.[/quote]
To be fair to the Mark Robins suggestion, he is relatively a proven manager when compared to Gunn and Grant.
Though he is obviously completely unproven at this level and there is certainly no evidence to suggest he would do better than Hughton.

"Mark Robbins Discuss"- I''m very surprised at this, he doesn''t look the right build for me. I''d have thought pole-vault would be more his thing.

Robbin''s Canaries beaten by Magpies as the Owls watch on!

Need to aim a LOT higher, someone like Alfreton Towns manager for example.

Walker was promoted from being reserve team manager and Worthy was assistant manager. But I do agree that I think its a good thing to consider managers without prior connections to the club. The fact they have played for Norwich before shouldn''t really be a relevant consideration.

Ken Brown was assistant manager too before being made manager.

My understanding is that the only managers we''ve had who haven''t had a previous connection to the club are Saunders, Bond, The Rodent, Lambert and Hughton.

[quote user="scrappy33"]Just because he once played for us? ITS NOT NECESSERY! Add Malky to that list aswell.[/quote]^^^Pretty much this.Take away the "played for us" factor, and he''s just another lower league manager with no Premiership experience. Would consider him as a number 2 (snigger) but nothing more.Technically, Mick McCarthy is better qualified, have a think about that[;)]

Robins would be a reasonable gamble if we went for a young up and coming manager, but not because of his having played for us. I don''t see how it follows that because one club legend fails at managing us, then another would automatically fail too. He''s quite well regarded in the game and I''d expect him to get a job at a bigger club in the next few years.

Obviously every candidate has to be considered for what they can potentially bring to the club based on a long list of skills, knowledge, contacts etc etc.

To say you can''t bring a manager in because they are an ex player as we once had an ex player who did badly is a pathetic argument. Gunny and Grant failed for reasons other than they were an ex player.

But saying a candidate should be considered more so because they are an ex player is a valid argument. They will understand the club, the set up, the supporters and know the area. All key things.

Being an ex player is an advantage in managing a club. But only in conjunction with a thousand other factors.

In my opinion, The club, supporters and area has changed since even Malky was here, let alone Robins. Whether they know where the multi-storey car park is for riverside bears absolutely no relevance to the job.

The only advantage i can see to bringing ex players in is ''if'' they were the man for the job, and we had a fight on our hands with other clubs to land them. You would hope they would have a stronger desire to join to join us, all being equal.

And you''re right Gunny and Grant failed because of other reasons, however, they were employed with an empthasis based on their previous connections with the club - therefore the point i''m making is proven. If they hadn''t played for us previously, you seriously think they would''ve been offered the managers job?