Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Respect

The club I have supported since 1968.  The club that I followed to promotion in 1972, Wembly in 1973 and all the other successes and failures along the way.   The club where in 1985 we were at the pinnacle of our stature as a friendly club with that League Cup final.  The club where the present board have got us now into a fantastic situation financially and in club development.     The club is fighting for its premiership status and as usual out of the woodwork come the people that can''t take a little difficulty or take a view of the bigger picture and they try and dominate this message board with their bile, insulting behaviour and bad language.    I''m no prude and will resort to bad language when provoked, but the utter drivel written about Hughton and progress/lack of progress combined with bad language and disrespect, is just ugly.

Criticise if you wish, but do it in a civil manner.   Hughton is the manager and can''t answer you back.   Even if he could he would probably do it in a respectful way.  Like I said, Norwich has always been a friendly club.  Anyone who is a fan who looks in on here even occasionally to catch up on things would think that it is that no longer.  That it is a club full of spoiled children throwing their toys out of the pram because they haven''t got what they want.   Spoiled children who can''t accept that we are in a fight with 10 other clubs and that we could finish 10th or 20th.  Spoiled children who can''t even accept improvements when they are evident.  No. All they can do is go on and on about something that is damaging to the cause.  Going on and on about changing the manager at a critical time when actually they should be concentrating on getting behind the club.

Its alright I know I go on and on and I lecture you, etc etc etc.  Well that''s tough.  I don''t really give a toss.   So go on, if you can''t get behind the club, get out of it.   We can manage without you.   Or criticise without the insults etc etc and we can all debate with a bit more balance and get at the truth more easily.   As it is the worst culprits on here are making it an issue of extremes.   There are all sorts of reasons why CH is still here, as outlined by McNally yesterday.  No manager is safe, but there are reasons why he is still here.  Best we all just accept that, get to the end of the season and take stock then.    No amount of bile, mis-information, name calling or swearing is going to change that.  

[quote user="lake district canary"]The club I have supported since 1968.  The club that I followed to promotion in 1972, Wembly in 1973 and all the other successes and failures along the way.   The club where in 1985 we were at the pinnacle of our stature as a friendly club with that League Cup final.  The club where the present board have got us now into a fantastic situation financially and in club development.     The club is fighting for its premiership status and as usual out of the woodwork come the people that can''t take a little difficulty or take a view of the bigger picture and they try and dominate this message board with their bile, insulting behaviour and bad language.    I''m no prude and will resort to bad language when provoked, but the utter drivel written about Hughton and progress/lack of progress combined with bad language and disrespect, is just ugly.

Criticise if you wish, but do it in a civil manner.   Hughton is the manager and can''t answer you back.   Even if he could he would probably do it in a respectful way.  Like I said, Norwich has always been a friendly club.  Anyone who is a fan who looks in on here even occasionally to catch up on things would think that it is that no longer.  That it is a club full of spoiled children throwing their toys out of the pram because they haven''t got what they want.   Spoiled children who can''t accept that we are in a fight with 10 other clubs and that we could finish 10th or 20th.  Spoiled children who can''t even accept improvements when they are evident.  No. All they can do is go on and on about something that is damaging to the cause.  Going on and on about changing the manager at a critical time when actually they should be concentrating on getting behind the club.

Its alright I know I go on and on and I lecture you, etc etc etc.  Well that''s tough.  I don''t really give a toss.   So go on, if you can''t get behind the club, get out of it.   We can manage without you.   Or criticise without the insults etc etc and we can all debate with a bit more balance and get at the truth more easily.   As it is the worst culprits on here are making it an issue of extremes.   There are all sorts of reasons why CH is still here, as outlined by McNally yesterday.  No manager is safe, but there are reasons why he is still here.  Best we all just accept that, get to the end of the season and take stock then.    No amount of bile, mis-information, name calling or swearing is going to change that.  

[/quote]

Oh look at me time.

LDC I have no problem with you posting what you want and considering most of the stuff on here it is actually very welcome, just like Ricardo''s Match reports are, although in a different way. Its a message board at the end of the day and it needs posters who make the effort to start subjects and stimulate discussion .......and your latest message is close to how I am feeling right now. The abuse has got to a stage where even the most well meaning thread is being hit by this, shall we say "ACHV" - Anti Chris Hoooghton Virus, it attaches itself to most threads and right now there doesnt seem to be an anti-virus software to get rid of it. I am sure it is a growing minority who contribute towards the "ACHV" and some of the comments (the readable ones) they make have actually made me think on my stance towards the management and had me wavering a few times too, that''s what should happen in a debate. The thing is those moments of reasonable debate are as rare as a Norwich City goal right now and as a result this board is becoming challenging to be a part of.       

The saddest part for me is that McNally even considered it necessary to do an interview with Chris Goreham. Guess he''s trying to pull fans, players and coaches together - that''s probably mission impossible, more of a ''damage limitation'' exercise.

The board are constantly making on-going decisions; DM''s interview was simply an attempt to appease the vocal minority by showing his personal awareness of their feelings.

Business as usual then?...

[quote user="lake district canary"]The club I have supported since 1968.  The club that I followed to promotion in 1972, Wembly in 1973 and all the other successes and failures along the way.   The club where in 1985 we were at the pinnacle of our stature as a friendly club with that League Cup final.  The club where the present board have got us now into a fantastic situation financially and in club development.     The club is fighting for its premiership status and as usual out of the woodwork come the people that can''t take a little difficulty or take a view of the bigger picture and they try and dominate this message board with their bile, insulting behaviour and bad language.    I''m no prude and will resort to bad language when provoked, but the utter drivel written about Hughton and progress/lack of progress combined with bad language and disrespect, is just ugly.

Its alright I know I go on and on and I lecture you, etc etc etc.  Well that''s tough.  I don''t really give a toss.   So go on, if you can''t get behind the club, get out of it.   We RenT dcan manage without you.   Or criticise without the insults etc etc and we can all debate with a bit more balance and get at the truth more easily.   As it is the worst culprits on here are making it an issue of extremes.   There are all sorts of reasons why CH is still here, as outlined by McNally yesterday.  No manager is safe, but there are reasons why he is still here.  Best we all just accept that, get to the end of the season and take stock then.    No amount of bile, mis-information, name calling or swearing is going to change that.  

[/quote]

You are over 50 (or extremely close to) and you hang around on message boards. Wow. Just WOW. Hope I grow up by then

Perhaps the main problem is some people attach too much importance to to this forum. It''s only a message board FFS !All manner of sensibles, fruitcakes and everyone in between are able, laws and moderators permitting, to post anything and everything they like on here. Think it''s toxic ? Try reading other football message boards. Many are far, far worse.As regards the influence the internet has it represents a very small part of Norwich City support. For most people Norwich City news comes via TV, radio or newspapers and they all present a far less hysterical take on things.Do we really think all the players and manager read this forum particularly when times are bad ? Some of the players probably do - more fool them - but I''m sure Chris Hughton doesn''t. No doubt Joe Ferrari and his media team check in every day as probably does David McNally but they''re not going to take any notice of all the name calling and toys being thrown out of prams.Yes, this forum has it''s uses for us posters and the people who run NCFC but those who think it has any large bearing on what happens at Carrow Road are well wide of the mark.

Who cares LDC, Hughtons a crap manager no matter how long youve supported Norwich. Hughton Out !!! If you think your opinion is right because youve been alive longer than dome other people than sadly your wrong.

[quote user="Crazy8s"]You are over 50 (or extremely close to) and you hang around on message boards. Wow. Just WOW. Hope I grow up by then[/quote]

This is the only message board I have ever used or am likely to - I hope when you get to 50 you feel passionate about your home club enough to have an opinion you want to voice.  

Also, if you think 50 is too old to be childish, then you are in for one heck of a shock.

Goodness me must be stuck in the floods. Most of us have lived through what you preach. Some of us are concerned about the clubs future and at this time what we have is not working. Times have changed. Rewards are bigger. I would rather have the chance of premiership football than £60 million in the bank and championship football. A change of manager is surely needed. By the way Chris hughton did a job for NCFC last season and should be applauded. This season it hasn''t worked. Surely you can see this. I am not saying it would work 100 percent but look at some other clubs sometimes it does.

Norfolk Mustard wrote the following post at 2014-02-15 4:41 PM:

The saddest part for me is that McNally even considered it necessary to do an interview with Chris Goreham. Guess he''s trying to pull fans, players and coaches together - that''s probably mission impossible, more of a ''damage limitation'' exercise.

The board are constantly making on-going decisions; DM''s interview was simply an attempt to appease the vocal minority by showing his personal awareness of their feelings.

Business as usual then?...

Are you really serious. ''the vocal MINORITY''

It''s because of the vocal majority that McN decided to speak.

Can I suggest you go and listen to exactly what he said, and then come back and pist again!

I don''t know how you dare to tell people that THEY cannot continue to support THEIR club because

1) They do not agree with your distorted opinion

2) They have had enough of an incompetent manager,,, at THEIR beloved club .

Additionally ,,you have to earn respect ......Hughton has lost mine and many others ,,, by dragging our club down further and further ,,,, and don''t bother to run the old " we finished 11th last season nonsense .... we were very lucky in those last two games ,,,, we finished with a considerably lower points total than the previous year .

Nothing he does between now and getting sacked at the end of the season will regain my respect ......unless of course he does a Peter Grant ...and walks !

why is LDC an attention seeker (in this particular thread) when there''s now a thousand other threads stating ''i''m not a racist, you are racist for calling me racist''. They are just as helpful to this forum as this thread has been so why are people having a go. Is it just to do with some of his other threads in the past? I personally think he has a point (but just like all the other threads, i don''t know why they don''t just stick to one thread instead of many claiming they aren''t racist)

[quote user="lake district canary"]This is the only message board I have ever used or am likely to......[/quote]Why, oh why did it have to be us? [:''(] [:''(] [:''(]

You preaching control freak.

You''re like a Jehovah at the front door - you just have to relentlessly push your preaching onto others, rather than just accepting that someone is entitled to state a contrary opinion to yours. You get people''s backs up with your headmaster like rambles about why everyone who wants Hughton gone is wrong.

I dislike Chris Hughton as Manager of this club. I want him gone. I''m not going to change that opinion just to suit you.

Nor am I going to shout at him from my seat in the ground, nor berate our players. I''ll do nothing but support our team. But if I want to come on here and discuss and criticise Hughton, the club, players, then i will. It''s a discussion forum and it sure as hell isn''t owned and run by you. You pompous old fool.

[quote user="dean"]You preaching control freak.

You''re like a Jehovah at the front door - you just have to relentlessly push your preaching onto others, rather than just accepting that someone is entitled to state a contrary opinion to yours. You get people''s backs up with your headmaster like rambles about why everyone who wants Hughton gone is wrong.

I dislike Chris Hughton as Manager of this club. I want him gone. I''m not going to change that opinion just to suit you.

Nor am I going to shout at him from my seat in the ground, nor berate our players. I''ll do nothing but support our team. But if I want to come on here and discuss and criticise Hughton, the club, players, then i will. It''s a discussion forum and it sure as hell isn''t owned and run by you. You pompous old fool.[/quote]

If you actually bother to read my post properly you will see that all I am is asking for a bit of restraint in the name calling and vitriol,  not trying to stop anyone having an opinion. 

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="dean"]You preaching control freak.

Nor am I going to shout at him from my seat in the ground, nor berate our players. I''ll do nothing but support our team. But if I want to come on here and discuss and criticise Hughton, the club, players, then i will. It''s a discussion forum and it sure as hell isn''t owned and run by you. You pompous old fool.[/quote]

If you actually bother to read my post properly you will see that all I am is asking for a bit of restraint in the name calling and vitriol,  not trying to stop anyone having an opinion. 

[/quote]

Are you drunk? Or is your memory starting to go? Or both, perhaps?

I shall quote you to remind you:

"So go on, if you can''t get behind the club, get out of it. We can manage without you."

"There are reasons why he is still here. Best we all just accept that, get to the end of the season and take stock then."

In the context of the rest of your ramble that pretty much tells people two things.

A) that you believe anyone who wants Hughton gone and is repeatedly saying so is not behind the club and can therefore do one.

And B) that we should accept that Hughton is here until the end of the season - as you''ve interpreted McNally as saying so, but more so because you say so.

You are a pompous preaching obsessive who is in denial of just how much you tell people how they should think/behave.

I honestly believe that you bring out the worst in people. I often wonder if that is actually your intention.

And as for:

"Spoiled children who can''t even accept improvements when they are evident"

Where on earth is the improvement on last season!?

What world are you living in!?

Dean: "Where on earth is the improvement on last season!?

What world are you living in!?

"

You can pick out odd bits from my ramble and make them look bad and  I accept that I can go off on one about things.   But the main complaint I have and the reason for the thread is the ugliness of the board.

But there is a lack of understanding of how things work too.  You demonstrate it perfectly.  Improvement in performance is clear to see in the last three matches and if that continues and the strikers find their touch we will be ok.   You and others, in respect to the football, constantly look back all the time and assume that because of what has happened in the past months, that it is going to be more of the same in the future.  I think the recent past is much more important than earlier this season and last season.  The balance in the team has been much better recently and is one of the reasons why Hughton will stay - there are positive signs if you want to see them.

My complaint remains with those that use ugly and unpleasant tactics in order to try to shout down people who''s views they disagree with.  It spoils debate.

[quote user="lake district canary"].  Improvement in performance is clear to see in the last three matches and if that continues and the strikers find their touch we will be ok.   You and others, in respect to the football, constantly look back all the time and assume that because of what has happened in the past months, that it is going to be more of the same in the future.  I think the recent past is much more important than earlier this season and last season.  The balance in the team has been much better recently and is one of the reasons why Hughton will stay - there are positive signs if you want to see them.

[/quote]Interesting. You have banged on over the last few months about Hughton''s track record, ten game unbeaten runs, 11th place finishes, securer defences, etc etc. But now you are doing a volte face and saying the opposite, Lakey. Now it''s all about the recent games. So which is correct ?More to the point, just precisely at what stage, if these "improved performances" continue to fail to bear fruit, vis a vis  goals, wins, and points, will you throw in the towel, and agree it''s time for fundamental change ?You may be right; starting against Spurs we might start banging goals in for fun, winning games and rocketing up the table. In which case we''ll ALL be happy. . But, just out of interest, if that scenario does not happen (not beyond the realms of possibility, I''m sure you''ll concede), what will be your policy then ?

People are more than welcome to voice opinions, but calling him clueless, a clown, or whatever new ridiculous name is doing the rounds is classless and makes you sound like a pig headed moron. But hey, that''s just my opinion.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="lake district canary"].  Improvement in performance is clear to see in the last three matches and if that continues and the strikers find their touch we will be ok.   You and others, in respect to the football, constantly look back all the time and assume that because of what has happened in the past months, that it is going to be more of the same in the future.  I think the recent past is much more important than earlier this season and last season.  The balance in the team has been much better recently and is one of the reasons why Hughton will stay - there are positive signs if you want to see them.[/quote]Interesting. You have banged on over the last few months about Hughton''s track record, ten game unbeaten runs, 11th place finishes, securer defences, etc etc. But now you are doing a volte face and saying the opposite, Lakey. Now it''s all about the recent games. So which is correct ?More to the point, just precisely at what stage, if these "improved performances" continue to fail to bear fruit, vis a vis  goals, wins, and points, will you throw in the towel, and agree it''s time for fundamental change ?You may be right; starting against Spurs we might start banging goals in for fun, winning games and rocketing up the table. In which case we''ll ALL be happy. . But, just out of interest, if that scenario does not happen (not beyond the realms of possibility, I''m sure you''ll concede), what will be your policy then ?[/quote]

You''ve asked me this before, but situations change.   It is never all black or white, as so many posters seem to want it to be.  Its true I have been a supporter of Hughton since he arrived apart from a spell in November when I thought he was not going to get anything from this season. But he steadied the ship and picked up some results.  I now support him not from a position of certainty as to how successful he will be, because he has not been as successful yet as I would have hoped, but from the view that to change at this stage would not necessarily be any better - and like it or not things have looked a bit better on the pitch recently, even without the results.   That said and assuming he is given to the end of the season,  my view is that his future depends on whether we stay in this league or not.

If he stays it will be because we have scored goals and won games enough to stay in the league.   If he goes it will be because he hasn''t scored goals or won games.   Its as simple as that.  

If he stays to a third season, which I believe he will if we stay in the league, I would think that nothing short of a very good season would be acceptable as he will have no excuses next season.  

As to my changing views - well to me that is life - you have to adapt to situations as they occur.  It is not a sign of weakness to adapt, neither is it necessarily a sign of strength to be certain of something.  The only certainty is that things are uncertain.................

As I''ve said before on this board, it all comes down to unrealistic expectations. Many on this board think it only reasonable to expect us to play attractive football and to comfortably avoid relegation. That is not ''par'' - that is the best case scenario and so those supporters are setting themselves up for a fall which inevitably leads them to believe that there is something fundamentally wrong at the Club.

As DM confirmed, last season we were 20th out of 20 in terms of wage budget. This season will be similar. Why, therefore, do so many fans expect us to be doing so much better than we are? Finishing 11th last season was a fine achievement, but why do so many fans not see it that way?

[quote user="lake district canary"]You''ve asked me this before, but situations change.   It is never all black or white,

[/quote]Yes I have indeed, and, sadly your reply this time is as vague and full of bolt holes as it was last time !It''s a perfectly simple question. You have opined that the performances are improving . Implicit in that is that the results will too. I''m merely inquiring  at what stage over the course of the next few weeks will you change your policy if ''situations don''t change'' ? And if your policy does change, what do you guess it will be ?

Oh do shut up silly, how did you get on today anyway in the SPL??

LDC''S -- GET BEHIND THE TEAM SPEACH!!! Is as inspiring as McNicey saying "we''ve got the best fans, however I must remind you to back the team" everyone''s behind the team or 90% of the team. It''s the management that''s the problem. It becomes a struggle to support him and the 2 stooges when like the vast majority on here your left perplexed by his ridiculous substitutions. He hardly tries to get fans onside. When we go behind I have no confidence in us winning surely the players feel like that also. He sends us into the ring and on round 8 ties our hands behind the back. BUT WHY????