Sign in to follow this  
SeattleCanary

Everything evens itself out over a season

This is neither a negative nor positive post. I find it interesting when this statement is used because I think its one of the most true things in football. I think some people believe we have been unlucky, and think our luck will change. Whilst we may have been anything but clinical in front of goal, I don''t think that it''s down to bad luck, and as far as I can see our season has already evened itself out.
We are where we deserve to be. Some points picked up have been far more convincing than others. Did we deserve to lose to Cardiff, draw with them too? Or lose to West Ham? No, probably not. In fact, we should have had 7-9 points instead of just 1. But equally should we have had 3 points against Southampton, or the 3 against WBA? Neither were convincing victories, and the point against Newcastle was far from 2 points dropped but a point gained.
So what is everyones opinion on the season so far? Do you feel the scales are still due to be balanced our way, or that we have had our lot, and need to make a fist of the last 12 games?
For me we haven''t been unlucky, and must find 12-15 points from somewhere. It''ll be hard-fought, because I don''t believe the universe owes us any favours!

I agree that we got a bit lucky at the start of the season given the dismal football. I was at the Southampton game though and we deserved them points.

I do think we''ve been unlucky the last few weeks but this has evened out our luck at the start of the season. When at all did we ever win convincingly? Every team in the league bar us has at least one game to show where they were clear winners and there was no arguments over the result. We haven''t got one game like that.

Time to make our luck work and bang the goals in, there''s nothing more to it.

I dont think you can reliably use luck as an excuse. Certainly for isolate incidents, and games where it just wont go in. But they are isolated incidents. No team is unlucky for an entire season, otherwise it isnt luck, its a conspiracy theory (ie refs having decided never to give us a penalty) or its ineptitude. There are many times we''ve got lucky, but most fans only remember the bad luck, rather than the good luck. In Euro 96 we were unlucky against the Germans. Noone ever comments that we were lucky against Spain in a previous round.

Luck is a human construct rather than an actual force in the universe. It can make an impact in a cup knockout competition, as so much rides on a single game, but over the season, absolutely things even themselves out. Its naive to keep saying we''ve been unlucky. When Man Utd used to regularly score last minute goals, many fans would often remark ''lucky barstewards!''. That wasnt luck, that was drive. What many people see as fortune, either good or bad, simply isnt.

To be fair the only people I''ve seen suggest that come the end of the season the league table lies are those who said we were lucky to finish 11th last season. Whether people will say that this season remains to be seen. I agree that everything evens out over a season but the season isn''t over yet.

Timing of fixtures can help. I do believe there was an element of luck in that for the WBA and Man City games last season. We still had to go and win them though.

Same this season, an Aguero less Man City are just not the same as the one that ripped us apart at the Etihad. I''m hoping Spurs will be shattered from their game tomorrow too.

We have had some "lucky" fixtures this season too such as Carroll less West Ham that we didn''t take advantage of as well as the Hull game where they went down to 10 men and we still messed it up.