Sign in to follow this  
Grumpy Old Blogger

Thinking back to Fulham...

No…. not one of the recent disgraceful performances but the one that saw us relegated on the back of a 6-0 thumping. One of the most obvious things from that game was that some players had clearly been in discussion with their agents and decided that they were not going to The Championship. A similar thing happened when we went to League One (Lee Croft, that guy Bell and the skinny midfielder who played for Northern Ireland).

My point is there could be a very real chance that, if the drop starts to look increasingly inevitable, the same thing will happen again with agents setting up moves and whispering in players ears with the result that, just like at Fulham, there will be players out there over the last few games rather hoping we don’t stay up as they have a ticket out of here anyway. I can think of quite a few senior guys who would want to be waving us farewell as we head for the exit and this, more than anything can eventually determine our fate.

if we go down, redmond, snods, ruddy, fer and hooper and the wolf, even bassong .will be gone and we start from scratch. agents get paid big money for a reason.

If my memory is correct (not always the case by any means) if we had won

that game then we would have stayed up, our fate was in our (the

players) own hands. We may have been awful  on the day but not because any players wanted away.Cannot think of any players that left us in the Summer of 2005 to go to a Premier League side or even a Champonship side..

You mean Sammy ''It could have been you'' Clingan.It''s a valid point but I think that the players do seem to be trying for the most part. It''s more our manager who keeps trying to play negative, defensive football. I also think if we go down with a whimper and strikers aren''t scoring, midfielders aren''t shining etc then they won''t engineer a move as easily as if we went down all guns blazing.When we went down last time, I believe the only player that actively tried to go were Francis, Helveg and Svensson; the last two because they had clauses in their contracts. Ashton, Green, Hucks, McKenzie, Safri, Jonsson et al stayed for at least half a season after we''d gone

Before they go else where prehaps the likes of hooper the wolf ,redmond ,snoddy etc could actually put the ball in the net for the ridiculace money we are paying them Instead of blaming Mr C H all the time hopefully on sunday come on wolf

[quote user="mrs miggins"]This is an honest question, not a dig, but have you watched us this season Chunky?[/quote]I never mind an honest question Mrs M.I''ll be honest and say I haven''t watched every single game but I have seen most. Personally I feel our players are massively short of confidence and playing in a system which stifles them. For example against Cardiff and West Ham we had the lion''s share of chances but fluffed them and looked shaky when it mattered by conceding. You could also argue that Hughton threw the game away against WHam by taking off our two most dangerous players and opting for a point. Again IMO because we are playing so negatively, this puts increased pressure on the forwards to make every single chance count and our defence to not concede AT ALL.We look short on confidence - RvW especially - and look like we''re going down but I haven''t seen anything (again IMO) which seems to indicate the players don''t care or are trying to engineer moves away from the club.

good point chunky, I would say we lack confidence and your right about hughton. I could understand hooper coming off because he looked tired, but why take off redmond. Although as i say, i agree with you that we look short of confidence, I wouldn''t say we''ve been playing negative football imo

The rather incredible run that put us in the position of our fate being in our own hands and the excellent start to the Fulham game, disallowed goals and blatant penalty shouts turned down, would suggest that it wasnt a problem then and I doubt it will be one now. Nobody would prefer we went down. Id imagine a player is in a much better bargaining position wage-wise if they are already at a Premier League club. Also, on the basis that our accounts are in such good health, we have no reason to sell regardless of what division we are in. Engineering a move will be no easier whatever division we are in.

That 6-0 was imo just a step too far.  Too much pressure.   That we put ourselves in a position to still be able to stay up by the last match was pretty amazing, given where we were a few weeks previously - completely cut off.   I don''t blame those players, with the pressure of the situation, I just think it was beyond them - and Fulham took full advantage.