Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

If they got rid of promotion and relegation

What would have to change?

Say they cut it off this season and we made the cut. We could finally start giving it more of a go in games without the fear of a destructive relegation if it goes tits up.

For the teams that don''t make it, they would have to cost cut straight away, as there would be no TV interest, there''d be limited interest even from the local area. No promotion = no hope. The teams would all have to become small clubs with maybe an element of college football about them where all our best talent played for their local team before being sold to the premiership.

Imagine the effect on a club like Leeds with a 40k stadium and big fanbase! It would be devestating, so much so i think they would have to fold and start again from fresh. This would potentially apply to about 20 teams down there, the Sheffields, Coventry, Forest, Blackburn.

For the teams like us that made it, we could gamble more in the transfer market to buy entertaining (not always the best) players.

The likes of Taraabt could come in, have 30 bad games a season and produce the goal of the season and all the plastic fans would love us!

Any other things it would affect?

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]What would have to change?

Say they cut it off this season and we made the cut. We could finally start giving it more of a go in games without the fear of a destructive relegation if it goes tits up.

For the teams that don''t make it, they would have to cost cut straight away, as there would be no TV interest, there''d be limited interest even from the local area. No promotion = no hope. The teams would all have to become small clubs with maybe an element of college football about them where all our best talent played for their local team before being sold to the premiership.

Imagine the effect on a club like Leeds with a 40k stadium and big fanbase! It would be devestating, so much so i think they would have to fold and start again from fresh. This would potentially apply to about 20 teams down there, the Sheffields, Coventry, Forest, Blackburn.

For the teams like us that made it, we could gamble more in the transfer market to buy entertaining (not always the best) players.

The likes of Taraabt could come in, have 30 bad games a season and produce the goal of the season and all the plastic fans would love us!

Any other things it would affect?[/quote]If  they - whoever they are - abolished promotion and relegation they would not include us in the top tier. There would not be some meritocratic cut-off based on league placings in a particular season. The 20 or whatever teams would be chosen on the basis of size and money and worldwide appeal. We might make the second tier.

Exactly right Purple. neither would Southampton, Swansea, Cardiff or Hull. Step forward Birmingham, Leeds, Sheffield, Forest, Derby...

Have I missed something ? Is this on the table for serious discussion by the authorities ? The comments by Nige and A47 illustrate how difficult (impossible) it would be to decide on what criteria the ''cut'' would be made. Once the decision was made it would open the floodgate to countless legal challenges and appeals, The stuff re Sheff Utd and West Ham over relegation and the Tevez affair would be made to look like a vicarage tea party,and as is so often the case in these situations, the only people getting rich would be the lawyers.On a practical note, isn''t this effectively what the situation was in Rugby League prior to the 2 Div and more recently Superleague format.? I seem to remember that the big guns (Leeds, Wigan , St Helens etc) played out a mini league and the rest, sure of no relegation, just went through the motions and played to empty stadiums.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Any other things it would affect?[/quote]If you want to see it in action, look across the pond.Each club would become a "franchise".  The lower tier clubs would fold, and would not start again from fresh.The process of player recruitment would change - to keep the league competitive you''d need to have something like the draft and squad/payroll caps they have in American sport.But more importantly, for me, it would kill the competition.  For us and the fans of the clubs around us the league is compelling because we are at risk of going down.  If there was no relegation, right now we''d have very little to play for.I don''t like dicing with the drop, but Sunday''s game would matter a lot less if that threat wasn''t there.

[quote user="GenerationA47"]Do the likes of Forest and Derby really have more money and worldwide appeal than Southampton and Swansea?[/quote]

Of course they don''t. Neither do Leeds or any of the others. You have to be at least halfway through you''re expected life span to remember when they were. But any elite league would be governed by the member clubs and this is where the likes of Southampton etc would come unstuck.

I remember one of the first Footballer''s Football Show''s in 1993 and George Best was on the panel. The idea of a European super league was being discussed and Best was asked if there were 2 clubs form England to go in it which would they be? To his eternal credit george said Norwich and Manchester United. That was a fair and honest opinion based on the club''s at that time. But does anybody really believe what''s fair and honest is what would have actually happened?

Haven''t the FA already contemptuously shown us exactly how any such consolidation might be achieved by demoting Doncaster Rovers Belles and replacing them with Manchester City (ladies) when they restructured the womens football league last year?Not a good idea, a much better idea would be to F off the four teams who only use the Prem as a means to getting in the Euro League each year, Ditch the Mancs Chelski and Arsenal from the Prem and 88 other team s in the top four divisions will benefit.

Ha! Imagine the outcry if us and Man U got put into the super league over the other clubs! It''d be awesome! All of us would become the ''hipsters of football'' as we supported Norwich when they were unfashionable. New ''fans'' would come trickling in :P

As annoying as they are, i would think losing the "big 4" or whatever would be devastating to our finances. It feels good to be competing at the pinnacle of our countries football in one of the best leagues in the world.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Ha! Imagine the outcry if us and Man U got put into the super league over the other clubs! It''d be awesome! All of us would become the ''hipsters of football'' as we supported Norwich when they were unfashionable. New ''fans'' would come trickling in :P

As annoying as they are, i would think losing the "big 4" or whatever would be devastating to our finances. It feels good to be competing at the pinnacle of our countries football in one of the best leagues in the world.[/quote]I''m not altogether convinced that the likes of Man U, Citeh, Arsenal, Chelsea etc would be fully behind this idea anyway. The same for the big Spanish, German , Italian and French clubs either.This idea has, as you say, been around for years . I''m sure that if it had legs then with the combined might of the clubs I''ve mentioned plus the Barcelonas, Real Madrids, Juventuses,  Milans ,Bayern Munichs, PSGs of this world it would have happened already?

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Ha! Imagine the outcry if us and Man U got put into the super league over the other clubs! It''d be awesome! All of us would become the ''hipsters of football'' as we supported Norwich when they were unfashionable. New ''fans'' would come trickling in :P

As annoying as they are, i would think losing the "big 4" or whatever would be devastating to our finances. It feels good to be competing at the pinnacle of our countries football in one of the best leagues in the world.[/quote]

We will never be invited to any European super league. Do you remember the elitist G14 and how those clubs hung on that status for dear life not letting others in? Arsenal finally did get accepted but Chelsea had no chance. I often thought that the G group could have broken away to form a European super league but since they''ve disbanded that threat is gone.

As for no relegation, I think it would ruin the league taking away the competition for all but the very top clubs. But I wouldn''t be surprised for a similar idea to be brought in for the Champion''s League. Clubs will argue that they find it difficult to budget with qualification so uncertain. Would be interesting if Manchester United fail to finish in the top four this season.