Sign in to follow this  
Simple Jack

Would it be that awful if we went down?

[quote user="Vanwink"]A disaster for the club and for the city. Can''t see any positives.[/quote]Unless the directors have been rather stupid it wouldn''t be a disaster for the club. And since the city has survived the Norman Conquest, a baronial sacking, numerous riots, destructive fires, the Black Death in three different centuries, Kett''s Rebellion, the English Civil War and the Baedeker Raids of world war two I think it may also just about cope.

[quote user="Dr Pillary Bones m.d"]Simpleton (straight) Jack-et Wrote "The Premiership is boring. Half a dozen at the top care only about Champions League qualification and, more importantly, the associated riches. The rest care only about 17th place and another season with snouts in the swill bucket" Spoken like a true Ip5w1ch fan S.J. You''ll never go up selling your future starlets like Jay-Emanuelle-to55er[/quote]

You''ve hit the nail on the head.

"

Unless the directors have been rather stupid it wouldn''t be a disaster for the club. And since the city has survived the Norman Conquest, a baronial sacking, numerous riots, destructive fires, the Black Death in three different centuries, Kett''s Rebellion, the English Civil War and the Baedeker Raids of world war two I think it may also just about cope."

WAHAHAHA I''ve seen people get "shot down" on here but this, this was like the equivalent of an artillery round smashing through someone''s forehead! Excellent Purple Canary.

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]Yet more tosh from our friend LDC why should I be surprised that the "i''d happily pay double just to be slapped around the face with a wet fish" brigade are happy with the concept of many more years of this.

I have said before I do not buy into the fact that NCFC are just one of a number of clubs "battling" for survival that I would be happy to take for as many years as they are on offer.

We have a team managed by a man who is scared of his own shadow and has shown this for 2 seasons even coming out and admitting holding onto a 2-1 defeat at Newcastle rather than trying everything to equalize.

In the premier League you have to accept that you have to take the rough with the smooth and as a newly promoted team you expect more rough than smooth.

Unfortunately any enjoyment of the premier league has been drained away from NCFC fans in a way that only perhaps West Ham fans could appreciate. Fans of almost all other Premier league clubs will be all be able to point to inspiring performances and results (even WHU beat Spurs at WHL 3-0)

I would agree the case for a financially secure NCFC in the championship is not one that unduly worries me as beyond clearing the debt the extra revenue has had no real positive impact on my enjoyment of football whatsoever.

The only Danger for NCFC or you LDC is that we will be bored to death.

May I suggest Carlisle would be a more realistic regular trip ?[/quote]

What an earth are you on about?   I want us to establish and improve like most other fans. I think you missed my point, which was that the premiership is where we should be and that it will always be a challenge.   I was also  trying to point out to our trolling friend that his agenda - which was to try and catch out some posters on here so he could have a go back about his "real fan" hobbyhorse - was not going to work in my case.  I see he has succeeded in fooling some others though.SJ is mungo bumpkin (probably plenty of others too) and a troll.

I heard the same garrbage as the OP from QPR fans last season............their tune has changed somewhat since then.......the Chumps is a lottery now so don''t expect any favours when we go down.......and if by a miracle we feature in a Sky live game they only pay peanuts compared to now.

The thing is, as boring as we are this season, I do still love looking at Leeds and Ipswich and co when they are celebrating as if they just won the Champions League when actually they''ve nicked a late draw against Yeovil or something.

I''m still quite proud to just be in this league. It''d be nice to out last a few more smug teams like Villa and co. Imagine all their sweaty fans trying to claim they are a massive club when they are a league below us! I have no problem with Lamberts choice to move there but some of their fans are right smug tw@ts.

I do miss proper away days though, the likes of the shefields, Leeds, Barnsley, Rotherham, Huddersfield, Bradford, Leicester, Derby, Wigan, Burnley. (yep guess where I live) They are some of my favourite saturdays and week nights i''ve had.

Burnley. (yep guess where I live)

Unlucky Jimmy Do you see much of Dave Fishdick? Bank on Dave also saw that poundland thing on bbc1 with the drongo storming about poundland saying " I''m to busy, im so busy I haven''t even got time for indigestion"

Some rare folk up there.

Yes relegation would be awful ... there is no debate.

I have spent too many seasons watching NCFC stagnate and eventually deteriorate in the second tier to forget the ''pleasures'' of the Championship.

Forget the issue of more winnable games and ''proper away days''. Look at how significant clubs like Forest, Leeds, SheffieldX2, Derby, Leicester, Middlesbrough and, more recently, Blackburn, Wolves, Bolton, Wigan and Birmingham have struggled to return and endured sustained spells of mediocrity at a lower level.

Ask any of them if they would swap places with us NOW ... bar Leicester all certainly would AND THAT ANSWERS THE OP QUESTION BEST OF ALL.

I agree that we should aspire to be in the highest league we can be competitive in (in footballing terms) I hope we can stay up and improve.

I am desperately disappointed that despite the investments made over the last 2 years we are actually further away from this than we were as a newly promoted side.

I think the question is a valid one and don''t really understand your problem with it.

I have to admit that both the League one season and the 1986 season are very fond memories to me unlike the last 2.

As has been said what is best for Norwich city football club is not always what is best for fans of Norwich city football club.

If the revenue secured our future for decades to come maybe but most will wash through the club and into the pockets of this decades Andy Townsends and Danny Mills who treat the club with such contempt as to almost deny ever wearing a yellow shirt.

And whilst I am not willing to get drawn into the "real" fan debate those attending all games will have had to suffer the boredom of watching a team that rarely troubles the opposition defences.

I''m not so sure they would. The thrill of promotion is one thing. The reality of top flight football is another. Endless blank weekends, turgid games, eye-wateringly expensive away days, the patronising attitude of the big clubs for whom the likes of us make up the numbers. Dull, dull, dull.

[quote user="Dr Pillary Bones m.d"]Burnley. (yep guess where I live)

Unlucky Jimmy Do you see much of Dave Fishdick? Bank on Dave also saw that poundland thing on bbc1 with the drongo storming about poundland saying " I''m to busy, im so busy I haven''t even got time for indigestion"

Some rare folk up there.[/quote]

Meant more the collective of teams. I actually live near Leeds in North Yorkshire.

Burnley is a classic away day though, usually meet up with my mate who supports them, go for a dodgy pre match pie and pint in a dodgy pub but that''s what it''s all about!

A young/new fan, a product of the celebrity and money obsessed modern age would never ask this. Some of us have been round the block a few times and our heads aren''t as easily turned.

[quote user="Simple Jack"]I''m not so sure they would. The thrill of promotion is one thing. The reality of top flight football is another. Endless blank weekends, turgid games, eye-wateringly expensive away days, the patronising attitude of the big clubs for whom the likes of us make up the numbers. Dull, dull, dull.[/quote]

Go on then Jack. What is the point of  a football club?   To sit happily in a lower division, not wanting to get to the top of that division in case we are promoted?To be able to play attractive football and be successful?  Oh wait a minute - not too successful - in case we are promoted.....To watch while our best players get sold  because we don''t make enough money from being in a lower division to keep them?

Or to aim high?Or to challenge the top clubs?  Or to try and develop into a more resourced club and better able to establish ourselves?Or to get the better players and be able to afford to keep them?

Attitudes like yours are what keeps the perception going of being a "Little Club" and only for people who live locally, not too ambitious because we don''t want to be in amongst the big clubs.  Like I said before, maybe you ought to look for a more local lower league club that suits your outlook.

And as for "Dull, dull,dull" -  football is a mixture of good and bad.  We have had our fair share of poor performances, but in amongst that there have been some good ones - was Man City dull?  Was the Cardiff or WH match dull?  We may be struggling for goals, but that is all.  And we have a stronger squad now than at any stage this season, shown by the last three performances.  All that is missing now is the striker''s to find their touch.We will support the club whatever the division, the League 1 season was brilliant - but as another poster said - we wouldn''t wish it on ourselves again......well, maybe you would.....

I''d say to provide entertainment and a sense of focus for a local community from which the support is drawn. What''s absolutely not the point of a football club is to give free jolification to pub bore types with no connection to the club or the community it serves.

[quote user="Simple Jack"]I''d say to provide entertainment and a sense of focus for a local community from which the support is drawn. What''s absolutely not the point of a football club is to give free jolification to pub bore types with no connection to the club or the community it serves.[/quote]

And who is to say who has or has not got a connection with the club?  You?  Or the individuals concerned?  How many games does one have to attend to be connected?    How many family members or friends who are supporters do you need, to have a connection to the club? 

A connection to the club can be on other side of the world and it still a connection. A family member goes out to Australia, marries an Australian they have kids.  They grow up with Norwich in their family, the word gets out about Norwich and we start getting more supporters out there. And the same any where in the world where anyone from Norwich travels/works or settles - the canaries get known and get new supporters all over the place. 

As for serving the community, what does paying your money to go and see football at Carrow Rd do for the community?   Most of it ends up in the players'' pockets.   No, the only thing you appear worried about is yourself and your narrow view of things.    As long as you can go to Carrow Rd and see your local pals, that is all that matters to you. That''s fine. No problem. Just allow the rest of us to support in our own way without being cast as somehow inferior to your lofty view of things.    Live and let live.

Serving the community has nothing to do with money. The club is part of the glue that holds the LOCAL community together. The club has no role as a community focus in Geelong, Ulan Bator, Timbuktu or the Lake District.

It would be an unmitigated disaster if we were to be relegated.......Because then all the ''inners'' will then have to regroup and rethink their strategy on how to retake complete control of the ''Pink Un'' forum.....

[quote user="Mello Yello"]It would be an unmitigated disaster if we were to be relegated.......Because then all the ''inners'' will then have to regroup and rethink their strategy on how to retake complete control of the ''Pink Un'' forum.....[/quote]There wouldn''t be a Pink ''Un forum by then anyway it would have sunk under the weight of Withered hysterically posting "I told you so" threads...

[quote user=" Zak Van Burger"][quote user="Mello Yello"]It would be an unmitigated disaster if we were to be relegated.......Because then all the ''inners'' will then have to regroup and rethink their strategy on how to retake complete control of the ''Pink Un'' forum.....[/quote]

There wouldn''t be a Pink ''Un forum by then anyway it would have sunk under the weight of Withered hysterically posting "I told you so" threads...
[/quote]

But surely, the outers are just a miniscule minority?......The incredulous inners would browbeat and swamp over the handful of gloating outers and maintain their overall control of the forum......FACT!   

[quote user=" Zak Van Burger"]It''s not a FACT! at all it has been empirically proven on here by means of a Facebook page like facility that the outers are actually the vast majority FACT!!
[/quote]

Multiple accounts.......folk with multiple accounts.......(a bit like on here).....I wish that they would all just, fact off.......

Serving the community has nothing to do with money. The club is part of the glue that holds the LOCAL community together. The club has no role as a community focus in Geelong, Ulan Bator, Timbuktu or the Lake District.

I know I qualify as a plastic to your uncompromising strict standards, SJ, but I still got a big laugh out of your post.

If we''re not Prem, tv access to games dries up. I can''t encourage my students and friends to watch Norwich games and talk about them with those who follow the Prem, so relegation will suck when it happens.

[quote user="Simple Jack"]Serving the community has nothing to do with money. The club is part of the glue that holds the LOCAL community together. The club has no role as a community focus in Geelong, Ulan Bator, Timbuktu or the Lake District.[/quote]

If the twenty or so thousand that are season ticket holders are the hub of the local community aspect of the club, then you have nothing to worry about.  All you could do perhaps is show little more respect for people who are supporters who live elsewhere, whether they go to matches or not.  I am aware I may as well be talking to a brick wall here, I know, but the best "locals" are the ones that are welcoming to anyone who is interested in them and their well being.  Travel anywhere in the world and you will come across the most welcoming of people. Very poor people will give you a warm welcome, just because you visit their town or village - and push the boat beyond what they can afford, to make you feel welcome.   I also know that Norwich is a very welcoming place and the people friendly (because I was brought up there).    You on the other hand offer..............nothing.   Well done.

There may have been a time when a football club "served the community" but those days are long gone. They are commercial enterprises through and through with owners often having little or no connection with the club or its community. They do community stuff as part of their corporate social responsibility ideals and also to maintain the pipeline of customers, sorry "fans", and of potential playing talent.

[quote user="Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB"]Under the very strict rules set by Jack I am a "semi plastic", however relegation would be terrible.....[/quote]

It is great to see you have accepted your plastic status. So few on this board do. That is a credit to you. The next big step in your journey of discovery is to go and support your local team! Good luck