Sign in to follow this  
Simple Jack

Would it be that awful if we went down?

Six more league games a season,

Games mostly at 3.00 on a Saturday afternoon,

Part of a far more sportingly interesting league,

Cheaper away tickets.

The world wouldn''t stop turning. Norwich City would still keep playing.

I happen to think many of us are a bit jaded by the McPremierLeague Inc experience.

I certainly wouldn''t be crying in my beer!

In-factual tripe by Thorpe End Canary again "U missed the most obvious benefit the reduction in plastic fans"

If you had been following NCFC for at least a decade, you would write such nonsense knowing that we''ve had season upon season of decent crowds and waiting lists for season tickets.

This is in regard with awful/woeful manages we''ve had in the bad times, the fans turn up and support!

Shows what you really know.

Aye P&T. As a plastic I went to far more games in the lower leagues. Tickets were a bit easier to get but we had nearly full attendances.

We''ve had the big benefit of the Premier League - loads of cash and now we''re debt free. Would a spelling divvy 2 be so bad. And we''d get to renew acquaintances with the six fingered, sister oglers from the other end of the A140.

Its a fair question to ask.

Before we were promoted into the EPL I can distinctly remember some posters on here and elsewhere warning others that it would be very different for us as supporters once we went up. They were talking about the battle we would have on our hands and the difference between being one of the big guns in the league and winning most weeks to being a smaller fish and having to scrap for points.

Anyway, surely Norwich City and something like seven or eight other clubs minimum will always have a battle on their hands to keep up over many years, and it is not easy to get established and maintain EPL status as a given when you are a club of our size.

So, for me, I guess whilst it would be very very disappointing it wouldnt be awful, but from reading others views on here, it would be more than awful and something that they dont think should happen at all to us.

If...."if" we did go down, I am actually confident that we would bounce back quickly due to the solid foundations the club now has.    

It says a lot for the mentality of some fans that they''re even asking the question. Do we want to be a first rate or a second rate club? Clearly a lot of fans would prefer to support an entertainingly second rate club rather than a solid first rate club. If that''s the case then why not go and support another club and let another fan take your seat who wants Premier League football?

[quote user="Kangaroo Court"]It says a lot for the mentality of some fans that they''re even asking the question. Do we want to be a first rate or a second rate club? Clearly a lot of fans would prefer to support an entertainingly second rate club rather than a solid first rate club. If that''s the case then why not go and support another club and let another fan take your seat who wants Premier League football?[/quote]Exactly. Utter morons.King''s Lynn Town FC is calling. The Walks is just off Tennyson Avenue. You can take Chris Hughton while you''re at it.

Interesting comments about "let another fan see Premier League football". And there''s the rub. Some people are rather more interested in seeing Manyoo and Liverpool than supporting Norwich City. You could turn this round to say if you''re only interested in seeing Rooney and Suarez why don''t you treat yourself to the full experience and join the Japanese tourists at Old Trafford and Anfield.

If you support Norwich City, the opposition should be pretty irrelevant.

[quote user="Simple Jack"]Interesting comments about "let another fan see Premier League football". And there''s the rub. Some people are rather more interested in seeing Manyoo and Liverpool than supporting Norwich City. You could turn this round to say if you''re only interested in seeing Rooney and Suarez why don''t you treat yourself to the full experience and join the Japanese tourists at Old Trafford and Anfield.

If you support Norwich City, the opposition should be pretty irrelevant.[/quote]Two points:Firstly, what is wrong about going to watch Manchester United, Liverpool or anyone else for that matter, play football? It''s a matter of personal choice. We at NCFC should be welcoming new fans with open arms as it fills the stadium and helps pay the bills. I for one don''t understand this pi55ing contest mentality of some of our supporters - I''m more of a supporter than you yada yada yada.Secondly, the only reason Japanese fans go to Anfield or Old Trafford is becasue they haven''t heard of NCFC or the other less famous teams. If NCFC courted the J-league for players and promoted itself among Japanese footballing fans, I dare say Carrow Road might one day ring with cheers of "Ganbare Noruuichi!"

I find the money arguement falls down when 69 million reasons next season would be going into the pockets of non perfroming prema donna''s who have no loyalty or passion for our club.

I would not be losing too much sleep if we did go down, but I would hope to see a new manager come in, turning our club back into a good footballing side.

Who would we lose that we would be worried about? RVW, Snodders, Fer, Bassong, etc. would we miss the players and the manager who have not met their masive salaries, if we go down?

I don''t want to get relegated but this season has highlighted just how boring the premiership is, but heyho Premiership or Championship I will be there.

[quote user="Vanwink"]A disaster for the club and for the city. Can''t see any positives.[/quote]

Totally agree Mr Vanwink and it would hit local business too.

We need to stay in the premier league so we can build as a club. We could be the next Everton for example and then every now and then we can get excited at the possibility of European football happening maybe. Norwich City on tour in Turkey (ok maybe nicer places) Poland Ok then Spain, Germany or Holland.

Also in time we may have built a squad strong enough to fight on all fronts league, cups and europe.

It''s got to be the dream for all Norwich fans hasn''t it to re-live the early 90''s again. I know things have changed a lot since then but still. That must be the long term "hambition" of the club and fans a like to become a strong mid-top of the premier league team.

Maybe we should send Delia, Mcnally, fry, bowkett out tho Dubai for the horse racing and get them selling, selling, selling. I bet there would be plenty of interested oil rich sheikh''s looking for a new hobby.

On that subject, Tuesday night 15years ago Manchester City were playing Away at Macclesfield then fast forward 15 years it''s Barcelona they played.

Err, how would it hit local businesses? The same number of people will turn up to games, there will be four more home league games in the season and, with cheaper tickets for the "casual supporter" more cash in their pockets to buy stuff from local purveyors of match day essentials.

The Premiership is boring. Half a dozen at the top care only about Champions League qualification and, more importantly, the associated riches. The rest care only about 17th place and another season with snouts in the swill bucket. It has bred an all-pervasive "must not lose" mentality that has sucked the excitement out of top flight football. Kids and the deluded may wet themselves at the prospect of seeing the latest mega millions Carlos Fandango, those of us who''ve seen it all before would rather see attacking football and entertaining games. If that''s in Division 2, fair enough.

By "build the club" I assume you simply mean spend ever more ludicrous sums on stellar talents like the Wolf? Great to hark back to our European hay day but that''s in the past and those days will never return. Interestingly, the competition we''re rightly part of playing in is now treated with open contempt by "big clubs".

Also interesting that our UEFA cup team (largely assembled by Dave Stringer) was largely based on the purchase on the cheap of cast offs from Spurs and others who gelled as a team, not expensive fancy dans. A good parallel with team Paul Lambert built.

Simpleton (straight) Jack-et Wrote "The Premiership is boring. Half a dozen at the top care only about Champions League qualification and, more importantly, the associated riches. The rest care only about 17th place and another season with snouts in the swill bucket"

Spoken like a true Ip5w1ch fan S.J. You''ll never go up selling your future starlets like Jay-Emanuelle-to55er

Being demoted is not something that is nice as a rule. If your boss came up to you and asked you to take a pay cut and do a more menial job, you would not be happy.   But - I have also known people at work who have volunteered to do a less responsible job and in the process take a pay cut, because they did not enjoy the extra pressure and responsibility of being in that higher paid job.  So  I think it is with fans. There will be some who don''t like struggling with the pressure of being in the premiership.  The tension and worry of coming up against what sometimes seems an impossible challenge, gets to them and they hanker back to when it was a bit easier and being a bigger fish in a smaller pond.

Simple Jack is right in some respects - that real fans will support the club whatever division we are in. But if fans aren''t able enjoy the challenge  of the premiership - maybe they should support their local non-league side instead, where the pressure will be less intense.  That isn''t a put down, btw, I know several people who have given up watching their premiership home club and profess to being happier being in a smaller pond.  Maybe Simple Jack, if he doesn''t like the premiership and who often talks about real fans supporting their local club, should take his own advice.  Norwich United??   Wroxham?  Kings Lynn? Great Yarmouth?  Plenty of local clubs to choose from. An Eastern Counties League club would be ideal for him  and he wouldn''t have the trauma of having to go too far from home for away games............and the real fans could then get on with supporting NCFC - whatever the danger...............

[quote user="Simple Jack"]Err, how would it hit local businesses? The same number of people will turn up to games, there will be four more home league games in the season and, with cheaper tickets for the "casual supporter" more cash in their pockets to buy stuff from local purveyors of match day essentials. The Premiership is boring. Half a dozen at the top care only about Champions League qualification and, more importantly, the associated riches. The rest care only about 17th place and another season with snouts in the swill bucket. It has bred an all-pervasive "must not lose" mentality that has sucked the excitement out of top flight football. Kids and the deluded may wet themselves at the prospect of seeing the latest mega millions Carlos Fandango, those of us who''ve seen it all before would rather see attacking football and entertaining games. If that''s in Division 2, fair enough.[/quote]

It does, its called ''feelgood'' plus there''s more media cover for the City re hotels etc etc.

I wonder how many relegated fans thought the same as you only to have a rude awakening when the reality struck home. McNally said City going down would be like death, he''s bang on it''ll cost us millions!

[quote user="lake district canary"]Being demoted is not something that is nice as a rule. If your boss came up to you and asked you to take a pay cut and do a more menial job, you would not be happy.   But - I have also known people at work who have volunteered to do a less responsible job and in the process take a pay cut, because they did not enjoy the extra pressure and responsibility of being in that higher paid job.  So  I think it is with fans. There will be some who don''t like struggling with the pressure of being in the premiership.  The tension and worry of coming up against what sometimes seems an impossible challenge, gets to them and they hanker back to when it was a bit easier and being a bigger fish in a smaller pond.

Simple Jack is right in some respects - that real fans will support the club whatever division we are in. But if fans aren''t able enjoy the challenge  of the premiership - maybe they should support their local non-league side instead, where the pressure will be less intense.  That isn''t a put down, btw, I know several people who have given up watching their premiership home club and profess to being happier being in a smaller pond.  Maybe Simple Jack, if he doesn''t like the premiership and who often talks about real fans supporting their local club, should take his own advice.  Norwich United??   Wroxham?  Kings Lynn? Great Yarmouth?  Plenty of local clubs to choose from. An Eastern Counties League club would be ideal for him  and he wouldn''t have the trauma of having to go too far from home for away games............and the real fans could then get on with supporting NCFC - whatever the danger...............

[/quote]

This is about the well being of the club LDC, not the fans, relegation would be a disaster.

I see, what you''re doing LDC is falling into the trap common amongst those who rarely, if ever, attend games. You find your once in a blue moon attendances "exciting" and so, by inference, the Premiership must be exciting. It certainly looks that way on your computer screen most weeks. Those of us who actually go to games week in, week out know the dark secret. The Premiership is as dull as dishwater.

Anyway, I do hope the stream you''ll be watching on Sunday doesn''t buffer to much. Give me a call for a running commentary from my excellently appointed seat. I can''t promise to make it sound exciting though.

Anglian Combination you can park your car right up against the pitch, switch on the radio, flask of tea, sandwiches, packet of crisps, yorkie bar. Just open the car door when you need a pee, no traipsing off to the bogs, and if the linesman pulls a hamstring you''ve even got a chance to take part in the action.

Home by 5pm, what''s not to like?

Can anyone confirm they know where Simple (straight) Jack-(et) sits in the ground please? Surely this die hard City fan must know lots of people on here that he see''s before k.o etc?

What nobody can? Not a soul? But he''s local that''s strange.

I don''t really understand why anyone would not want to see our club in the premier league taking on the so-called stars, seeing them run out at Carrow Road and looking forward to the anticipation that we take them on and beat them. The highs of emerging victorious against those stuffed full of mega-bucks internationals stay with us forever. I will never forget that game against Man Utd under Worthy when we beat a full strength Man Utd team 2-0 through Leon and Dean. Without patronising us, these are like little cup finals, we want our team to win, we want o progress, and that is the result- being up and testing ourselves against the best. While I loved our last minute Chris Martin goal to beat Leeds in Lge 1 and our double hat trick 6-0 tonking of Scunthorpe, it''s not quite the same

Yet more tosh from our friend LDC why should I be surprised that the "i''d happily pay double just to be slapped around the face with a wet fish" brigade are happy with the concept of many more years of this.

I have said before I do not buy into the fact that NCFC are just one of a number of clubs "battling" for survival that I would be happy to take for as many years as they are on offer.

We have a team managed by a man who is scared of his own shadow and has shown this for 2 seasons even coming out and admitting holding onto a 2-1 defeat at Newcastle rather than trying everything to equalize.

In the premier League you have to accept that you have to take the rough with the smooth and as a newly promoted team you expect more rough than smooth.

Unfortunately any enjoyment of the premier league has been drained away from NCFC fans in a way that only perhaps West Ham fans could appreciate. Fans of almost all other Premier league clubs will be all be able to point to inspiring performances and results (even WHU beat Spurs at WHL 3-0)

I would agree the case for a financially secure NCFC in the championship is not one that unduly worries me as beyond clearing the debt the extra revenue has had no real positive impact on my enjoyment of football whatsoever.

The only Danger for NCFC or you LDC is that we will be bored to death.

May I suggest Carlisle would be a more realistic regular trip ?