Sign in to follow this  
ncfc1902

Hughton lost us tonight's game

I thought overall Norwich did not deserve to lose, we were the better side, created some very good chances but I felt the turning point was when Hughton took Hooper off for Elmander, he brought nothing to our forward line and the game went dead for us from that point, should of been more positive and gone two upfront in my opinion.

OTBC

We had another chance after Hooper was replaced but Yobo couldn''t keep it down. Was it fair to sub Hooper? Well Darel Russell had been calling for Elmander for sometime. I would probably have made no subs but that would have been criticised too. It wasn''t the substitution that cost us the game. It was not taking any of the many chances we had that cost us.

I still think we''ll be ok. Hughton''s biggest task will be to keep the pressure off the players so that they have the confidence to go again. Even big Sam saw it. "Keep playing like that and Norwich will be fine".

[uote user="nutty nigel"

We had another chance after Hooper was replaced but Yobo couldn''t keep it down. Was it fair to sub Hooper? Well Darel Russell had been calling for Elmander for sometime. I would probably have made no subs but that would have been criticised too. It wasn''t the substitution that cost us the game. It was not taking any of the many chances we had that cost us.

I still think we''ll be ok. Hughton''s biggest task will be to keep the pressure off the players so that they have the confidence to go again. Even big Sam saw it. "Keep playing like that and Norwich will be fine".

/quote

Agree with every word Nige.

[quote user="nutty nigel"] It wasn''t the substitution that cost us the game. It was not taking any of the many chances we had that cost us."[/quote]

spot on nige - our tactics have seen us create (and miss ) the best chances of the game in the last three fixtures and in the two we lost that profligacy has been compounded by basic defensive errors.

Changing a successful team is dubious for pilks/snoddy and three odd subs (only for one part in each change) did not really help - but none of those are the reason we lost today.

These are player errors costing us 8 points in 3 games; dont make them and odd subs mean diddly squat.

We were drawing the game 0-0 before the subs were made. Although we weren''t taking our chances, we looked by far the better team and were at least creating chances.

What happened after the subs? How many chances did we create from open play? The whole dynamic of the game changed and we gave the initiative to Wham. Hughton tries to settle for a draw and we then let in 2 goals, oh the irony! When will he ever learn? That game was there to be won and he lost it for us, simple as.

I bet the Wham players couldn''t believe their luck when the board went up with Hoops and especially Redderz numbers on it.

Unfortunately NN, I do not share your faith. I said back on the thread titled Next 4 games: WBA, Swansea, Sunderland, Fulham http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/1/3031923/ShowPost.aspx#3031923 that we''d be lucky to have 24 points by the end of February/start of March. I got shouted down, although what I predicted turned out to be very close as it turns out now. I''m not here for a medal, but merely to further press the fact that my prediction has and always will be based on someone doing the same thing over and over, hasn''t and won''t change anything.
We have exceeded that total thanks to an unexpected point from the Man City draw. I do not expect anything against Spurs, but a point would be fantastic given our situation.
I think you need to face the harsh reality that a lot of posters called this months ago, and we didn''t, and do not revel in being correct, but actually wanted action taken when it could have made a difference.
How do you still feel CH will keep us up?

What''s that got to do with tonight''s game or substitutions Seattle? If you want to bring that up wait until after the Villa game.

The last 3 performances have been far and away better than any three consecutive performances this season. But they count for just 1 point because we failed to take any of the chances we created. We will get the points by taking those chances in later games or we will be relegated for missing them. The biggest fear now would be for the confidence to play our football to disappear.

Please will someone nail "Houghton lost us tonight''s game" to the managers forehead and buy him a mirror.

Maybe he''d get a sense of the depression he''s creating.

.Just heard you were hammered, Next year you could well be rammed.. There has bin a holt ( sorry should

have said halt) in goal scoring. What price Chris Marrtin now

NN it just wont happen like you predict, it needs us to totally dominate a match and keep at the opponents for 90 minutes. We have never done this against anybody with CH.

SORRY but we are doomed without a massive lift which only a change can achieve.

CH did not lose us the game tonight by his substitutions, unless you think he should have brought Bunn on for Ruddy in the last 15 minutes.

Best team performance of the season by far, played well but missed our chances and one player in a defensive position made one mistake.

We got mugged, it happens, we move on.

[quote user="Phil and Ted"]CH did not lose us the game tonight by his substitutions, unless you think he should have brought Bunn on for Ruddy in the last 15 minutes.

Best team performance of the season by far, played well but missed our chances and one player in a defensive position made one mistake.

We got mugged, it happens, we move on.[/quote]

This I agree with to a degree because I don''t want the players to lose confidence. But it is a worry that we are continually misfiring. However it would be catastrophic if we weren''t creating chances.

West Ham create nothing. They rely on mistakes for chances. We made good chances with good football. We lost 2-0. You can''t help but worry...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

What''s that got to do with tonight''s game or substitutions Seattle? If you want to bring that up wait until after the Villa game.

The last 3 performances have been far and away better than any three consecutive performances this season. But they count for just 1 point because we failed to take any of the chances we created. We will get the points by taking those chances in later games or we will be relegated for missing them. The biggest fear now would be for the confidence to play our football to disappear.

[/quote]
I felt it had a lot to do with persevering with players that aren''t really currently at their best both at the time of that thread and now. With that 4 game run we should have accumulated more than 5 points. Snodgrass it seems can do no wrong, and in the closing stages CH always seems to take our main outlets to create and possibly score, off the pitch to play it safe. Why too do we have Hoolahan on the bench if we aren''t ever interested in using him? Elamander is useless, and like it or like it not, the signing of these players (if they aren''t good enough he brought them here), the set up of the team, tactics and mind boggling substitutions are down to him.
This is why I predicted we''d be lucky to reach 24 points by the end of February, and correct me if I am wrong but the next game is on February 23rd, is that not the end of Feb (last game in February)? I hope to god we win, but its looking unlikely. I understand the players missed chances today, but we do ourselves no favours by taking the threat away to their goal, almost inviting the oppo to attack ours. We might not have scored if we played tip midnight, but neither would they have the way it was before the subs.
That''s why I brought the thread up, as by the time after the Spurs game we will either have 1, 2, or 4 points more than I predicted we''d have. It''s a huge joke how quickly he has managed to take us backwards.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Holy cr4p I don''t believe it even P.C is at it!!! What the hells it matter what fat sam said??!? Has he brought shares in us?? He has NO VESTED interest in us!! If I had just beat alfreton tonight i''d say the same sort of drivel lol. What the hell is up with people on here??? Even the more sensible posters seem to of gone mad. ''if Norwich play like that all season they''ll be GRAND" lol oooops they went down? Oh well at least me and west sham havnt!!!!! At least next season when playing leeds we''ll all be able to take great heart from what Fat sam said that time when they beat us 2-0!!!! REALLY GUYS and miggins, what''s up with everyone!

Silly me it''s Nutty Nigel not P.C lol say no more!! I take it back, what more would people expect than the chieftain resident happy clapper saying "ooooh but Sam Alladyce said thisssss" your a stubborn mule Nutty and if hughton took us down to the blue square bet Southern league I could picture you saying "we may of lost to Cambridge Village F.C, BUT remember sam Alladyce said we would all be ok,, come on fellow canaries you must remember when he said that 16years ago, let us not forget were far far far to small a club to be mixing it with wba,swansea,southampton, Cardiff, west ham, stoke guys and we should know our place, let''s not upset the more established members of the elite premier league" WHATS IT MATTER WHAT SUPER SAM THINKS ABOUT US NUTTY??? PLEASE ENLIGHTEN US (also the report buttons at the bottom left of the screen, cheers ;)!!!

I think someone is overtired, and is going to be a grumpy bunny when they have to get up for school tomorrow.[:(]

.Just heard you were hammered, Next year you could well be rammed.. There has bin a holt ( sorry should

have said halt) in goal scoring. What price Chris Marrtin now

You really are one boring ipswich fan.

"morty"

I think someone is overtired, and is going to be a grumpy bunny when they have to get up for school tomorrow.

Bet it''s a nightmare around his house Christmas morning.

The goal we conceeded was a defensive nightmare and to simply blame ruddy is wide of the mark - the whole team was asleep - very reminiscent of teh cardiff lapse in concentration.

Either martin or snodgrass should have been alive to a wide ball,  the cross was made without any pressure or cover in that area of the pitch,   BJ did not track the runner into the box and Bassongs attampted challenge was weak too before Ruddy compounded it with the rush of blood into no mans land.

It was this that lost us the game,  not the subs.    Together with some very woeful lacking confidence finishing (nutty - the confidence has been waning for weeks).    The right yet wrong subs only compounded a bad situation. 

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

The goal we conceeded was a defensive nightmare and to simply blame ruddy is wide of the mark - the whole team was asleep - very reminiscent of teh cardiff lapse in concentration.

Either martin or snodgrass should have been alive to a wide ball,  the cross was made without any pressure or cover in that area of the pitch,   BJ did not track the runner into the box and Bassongs attampted challenge was weak too before Ruddy compounded it with the rush of blood into no mans land.

It was this that lost us the game,  not the subs.    Together with some very woeful lacking confidence finishing (nutty - the confidence has been waning for weeks).    The right yet wrong subs only compounded a bad situation. 

[/quote]

Once again for the dim, Hootin signs em'', picks the team and dictates the tatcics.........the buck stops with him.

The forwards are missing lots of chances, granted BUT Hughton surely knows this so why has he not had the whole team practising?? Also if he has had them in for extra practise and they''re still all missing then the trainings not right is it.

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

Once again for the dim, Hootin signs em'', picks the team and dictates the tactics.........the buck stops with him.

[/quote]

I have no problem with blaming Hughton,  I wanted him gone the november before last.   

However yest tactics were the right ones, we dominated the game and should have won comfortably.  All I am pointing out is some blame must lie with the players as well,  as its individual errors costing us now.    The management team put out a team in personnel, tactics & formation that would have won that game had the players taken the chances they created and defended properly when needed.  They did not. 

It is no longer tactics costing us points,  its poor players errors at crucial times;  Of course they are undoubtedly linked to a lack of confidence that hit us in our games from Chelsea to Fulham where tactical errors did hurt us.     

ZLF - Thank God for some sensible analysis of the first goal we conceded. As you correctly pointed out the main reason we let that one in was nothing to do with Ruddy, but with Snodgrass. His attempt (it would more accurately be called a non-attempt) to stop the cross was ridiculous. He seemed to just wave Diame inside and say ''go on cross it''.

However, that having been said I can''t see how you think Johnson is somehow to blame for the goal. If you watch it again you will see that Collins and Elmander are together in the middle of the pitch when the free kick is taken. Collins makes a run into the box and Elmander initially goes with him, but then lets him go. Surely one of the reasons Elmander was brought on was to give us more height in defensive situations - he then goes and totally blows it by letting Collins have a free run at the cross. Not Johnson''s fault at all.

[quote user="Hughtons P45.2"]Silly me it''s Nutty Nigel not P.C lol say no more!! I take it back, what more would people expect than the chieftain resident happy clapper saying "ooooh but Sam Alladyce said thisssss" your a stubborn mule Nutty and if hughton took us down to the blue square bet Southern league I could picture you saying "we may of lost to Cambridge Village F.C, BUT remember sam Alladyce said we would all be ok,, come on fellow canaries you must remember when he said that 16years ago, let us not forget were far far far to small a club to be mixing it with wba,swansea,southampton, Cardiff, west ham, stoke guys and we should know our place, let''s not upset the more established members of the elite premier league" WHATS IT MATTER WHAT SUPER SAM THINKS ABOUT US NUTTY??? PLEASE ENLIGHTEN US (also the report buttons at the bottom left of the screen, cheers ;)!!![/quote]Don''t worry. This is not the first time this has happened.  Flattered as I am to have nutty use a quote of mine as his signature, perhaps he might care to alter it. Cut off my name or place it at the end of the quote rather than the beginning? Normally I would gladly be mistaken for nutty, but not always...[:P][:D][;)]

I still can''t believe he took off hoops and redmond when those two were by far our best attacking threat.

To me, it suggests he was content with a 0-0 draw and was trying to shut up shop.

I thought we created more clear cut chances in that game than i''d seen for a long time, and i''m still struggling to come to terms with the 2-0 defeat, and its consequences for our final league position.

I think perhaps Hoots has taken us as far as he can.

I''m going to cry like a baby when we go down in May.

[quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]
I felt it had a lot to do with persevering with players that aren''t really currently at their best both at the time of that thread and now. With that 4 game run we should have accumulated more than 5 points. Snodgrass it seems can do no wrong, and in the closing stages CH always seems to take our main outlets to create and possibly score, off the pitch to play it safe. Why too do we have Hoolahan on the bench if we aren''t ever interested in using him? Elamander is useless, and like it or like it not, the signing of these players (if they aren''t good enough he brought them here), the set up of the team, tactics and mind boggling substitutions are down to him.
This is why I predicted we''d be lucky to reach 24 points by the end of February, and correct me if I am wrong but the next game is on February 23rd, is that not the end of Feb (last game in February)? I hope to god we win, but its looking unlikely. I understand the players missed chances today, but we do ourselves no favours by taking the threat away to their goal, almost inviting the oppo to attack ours. We might not have scored if we played tip midnight, but neither would they have the way it was before the subs.
That''s why I brought the thread up, as by the time after the Spurs game we will either have 1, 2, or 4 points more than I predicted we''d have. It''s a huge joke how quickly he has managed to take us backwards.

[/quote]

Now I just clicked the link and went through that thread and at no time did you mention any players, the way we set up, substitutions ot tactics. Unless i missed it of course. In fact like many on here you never join in reasonable discussion about football but just rant after a game. Perhaps you''d like to tell us the real reason for bringing it up?

Now as for last nights game - I believe we set up spot on, got the tactics spot on, executed them spot on but ultimately lost the game because we didn''t take any of the good opportunities we created. I still maintain it wasn''t the subs that lost us the game. However let me make this quite clear once again, I wouldn''t have made the substitutions. I can understand why they were made but I wouldn''t have done it. I would have persevered with what we had. But you wouldn''t have been happy with that either. Hughton would then have been wrong for not changing it.

You don''t have to analyse everything to find fault with the manager. I''m sure he accepts that whatever the circumstances he will be judged on results. A month ago Werst Ham were everybody''s favourites to go down and Big Sam was the favourite to be sacked. Now they''re 10th. That''s how quickly it can change with the same manager. So ultimately it''s a question for the board. I have no problem with them sacking the manager. That''s the easy part. The difficult bit is who to replace him with and to my mind the chances of getting a better one are less than 50/50.

[quote user="Hughtons P45.2"]Silly me it''s Nutty Nigel not P.C lol say no more!! I take it back, what more would people expect than the chieftain resident happy clapper saying "ooooh but Sam Alladyce said thisssss" your a stubborn mule Nutty and if hughton took us down to the blue square bet Southern league I could picture you saying "we may of lost to Cambridge Village F.C, BUT remember sam Alladyce said we would all be ok,, come on fellow canaries you must remember when he said that 16years ago, let us not forget were far far far to small a club to be mixing it with wba,swansea,southampton, Cardiff, west ham, stoke guys and we should know our place, let''s not upset the more established members of the elite premier league" WHATS IT MATTER WHAT SUPER SAM THINKS ABOUT US NUTTY??? PLEASE ENLIGHTEN US (also the report buttons at the bottom left of the screen, cheers ;)!!![/quote]

The report button is for the weak. That being the case I wouldn''t be surprised if your quivering finger strays there from time to time...

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Don''t worry. This is not

the first time this has happened.  Flattered as I am to have nutty use a quote

of mine as his signature, perhaps he might care to alter it. Cut off my name or

place it at the end of the quote rather than the beginning? Normally I would

gladly be mistaken for nutty, but not

always...
[:P][:D][;)][/quote]

??

[quote user="nutty nigel"]A month ago Werst Ham were everybody''s favourites to go down and Big Sam was the favourite to be sacked. Now they''re 10th. That''s how quickly it can change with the same manager. So ultimately it''s a question for the board. I have no problem with them sacking the manager. That''s the easy part. The difficult bit is who to replace him with and to my mind the chances of getting a better one are less than 50/50.

[/quote]
Please tell me the last time CH got us to win 3 games on the bounce? The fact is that West Ham brought players in, and tried to do something about their situation. A point I''d like to make too with all this talk of not taking chances Nutty, even if we did score a goal or 2, the very fact that the subs were made at all would either have cancelled out that possible win or made it a draw. CH is incapable of playing a team that is organised, motivated and set up to put the opposition under pressure over the course of 90 minutes. Is that reasoned debate enough for you?
And no, you cannot know how I would have reacted coming on here had we kept up that performance over the final 10 minutes. I would have been disappointed, but accepted that we dug out the point and deserved it. Not invited the oppo to tear us apart like a wet paper bag. The game is 90 minutes long. Not 80 like clueless thinks it is.