Sign in to follow this  
Simple Jack

Should the Jarrold Stand be torn down?

The EDP has a piece today celebrating 10 years of the Jarrold Stand. But should we be celebrating? The stand is the spiritual home of the "new fan". Damp with excitement they made their way to the West Ham game clutching their shiny new 8-game season ticket. The vagueries of away fan attendances mean that the adjacent blocks are often home to a disproportionate number of "casual supporters".

But housing plastics is far from this stands biggest crime. It has always been an unlucky stand. Ever since the grand old South Stand lost its fire certificate things haven''t been the same. We were actually far better with just three stands. It gave the ground an edgy feel and the mural on the hoardings was quite engaging if action on the pitch waned.

A well thought out and reasoned post. I think the solution to the casual fan aka the plastic is to significantly increase the cost of these tickets. Say £75 quid for an adult. Or even better fill the ground entirely with season ticket holders and no casual fans at all. That way we know only die hards will be at the ground. Better atmosphere etc would be the result.

What alot of nonsense you both spout. I was a Barclay Boy many years ago and you couldn''t have found many more passionate then nor now. Problem was that I moved away to find work and now live a long way from the finest city and football club. The result is that I can''t get to many home games but when I do succeed in buying tickets, of course they are for seats in the Jarrold. I know from my occasional visits to this MB that there are may like me in a similar situation. So, before you spout the usual tedium about "plastics" think on or just shut up. Thank you.

[quote user="Thorpe end canary"]A well thought out and reasoned post. I think the solution to the casual fan aka the plastic is to significantly increase the cost of these tickets. Say £75 quid for an adult. Or even better fill the ground entirely with season ticket holders and no casual fans at all. That way we know only die hards will be at the ground. Better atmosphere etc would be the result.[/quote]

Comedy gold!

[quote user="Simple Jack"]The EDP has a piece today celebrating 10 years of the Jarrold Stand. But should we be celebrating? The stand is the spiritual home of the "new fan". Damp with excitement they made their way to the West Ham game clutching their shiny new 8-game season ticket. The vagueries of away fan attendances mean that the adjacent blocks are often home to a disproportionate number of "casual supporters". But housing plastics is far from this stands biggest crime. It has always been an unlucky stand. Ever since the grand old South Stand lost its fire certificate things haven''t been the same. We were actually far better with just three stands. It gave the ground an edgy feel and the mural on the hoardings was quite engaging if action on the pitch waned.[/quote]

Simple named, simple poster.[:S]

Obvious Trolls are obvious... Move along people nothing to see here! Don''t feed the trolls!

What a crazy OP subject title...yes, lets pull the stand down and go to three sides, why not...and while we are at it let''s also pull the development down behind the N&P/River End and put back the car park.....no,let''s pull all of the stands down as they too havnt given us much luck this season....we could paint a mural on each side........that would be sick wouldnt it.......

But seriously, before I became an ex-pat over here in Dubai I was a season ticket holder for something like 25 years off and on, and never once did I have a problem with ANY fan who came and sat near me who wasnt a regular or a season ticket holder, I saw them and still do as Norwich City supporters (unless of course they supported the away team, which is usually the case when Manure visit).........I think its time some of our so called fans grew up over this ridiculous "plastic" tag they seem to want to give a person just because they don''t go regularly to a live match, pick their matches, are a new supporter or whatever..........why?....because that is actually "little ole Norwich" thinking and if we are to become a bigger more successful club, then we need every last fan regardless of whether they watch every game, home or away, live or on a stream or tv. Incidentally, whilst a bit off topic, that''s exactly why I personally have a problem with the club delaying increasing the capacity of our ground......as they need to think long term on this and need to give more of the supporters a chance to see the team live,particular when the big clubs visit.... otherwise the club just wont expand its supporter base, other than those forced to watch on TV......a bit of an exageration I know, but you must keep looking at ways of increasing your customer base in any business! 

The South Stand was a heap - at least after it went seating - so wasn''t exactly sad to see that go.

The only real thing you can criticise the Jarrold Stand is that club only took the middle option, meaning 4,000 extra fans couldn''t be accommodated for. That said, these can be added in the future should that club choose to do so.

The stand that should be torn down is the City Stand. It was a joke when it was built and has ''Subbuteo'' like qualities. It''s a really lousy stand and has no place in The Premiership.

[quote user="basil brush"]The South Stand was a heap - at least after it went seating - so wasn''t exactly sad to see that go.

The only real thing you can criticise the Jarrold Stand is that club only took the middle option, meaning 4,000 extra fans couldn''t be accommodated for. That said, these can be added in the future should that club choose to do so.

The stand that should be torn down is the City Stand. It was a joke when it was built and has ''Subbuteo'' like qualities. It''s a really lousy stand and has no place in The Premiership.[/quote]I''m sure the club have announced in the past that the jarrold CAN''T have a 2nd tier?the city stand can however, and i wouldn’t say it needs pulling down but rather a bit of a face lift.. a 2nd tier would do this... the club offices, changing rooms, physios room and club shop are all housed in the city stand, it would take some effort to move everything around...The Kevin Reeves stand.. now that can be rebuilt!

The City Stand holds significantly fewer supporters than the one that burnt down beforehand. I don''t think the insurance paid up as much as Norwich hoped and this was in the ''80s when top-division attendances weren''t that high. I often remember going to games with low-20ks attendance, when the ground''s pre-burnt-stadium capacity was 28k.Would a new City Stand encroach onto Carrow Road (the road)?