Sign in to follow this  
Dubai Mark

Shoul the Snake Pit be torn down?

Totally agree Mark.........and whilst we''re at it, lets demolish the Wensum Stand too![;)]

Slightly off topic...but where did the name ''Snakepit'' come from? To answer the OP, no, unless it is to build a new, double capacity, City stand!Moo

[quote user="Moosheep"]Slightly off topic...but where did the name ''Snakepit'' come from?

To answer the OP, no, unless it is to build a new, double capacity, City stand!

Moo
[/quote]

It comes from combining the words ''snake'' and ''pit''.

Undoubtedly YES!!!! The Snake Pit would be better named the Ultimate Plastic Pit. Why? Take any cup game against lower league opposition. It''s always empty because its diehards denizens are only interested in seeing Manyoo and Liverpool. Bring on the wrecking ball!

[quote user="TCCANARY"]It comes from combining the words ''snake'' and ''pit''. [/quote]But as far as I am aware that corner of the ground doesn''t contain, and never has contained, either! Was the name made up by the supporters who migrated there from the Barclay when the infill was opened because they thought it made them sound hard?!

[quote user="Yobocop"]Do you go to the games wiz? Genuinely interested[/quote]

Only the odd one now and again yobo ie when it fits in with my sons job (he lives in the City btw) so if I make only two a season I cherish the memory more............even if we lose! 

[quote user="Wiz"]

Only the odd one now and again yobo ie when it fits in with my sons job (he lives in the City btw) so if I make only two a season I cherish the memory more............even if we lose! 

[/quote]fibber.

"snakepit" comes from a  game vs QPR in 1997, Rangers winger Andy Impey kept getting hissed at by that section of the ground for some reason... the barclay started chanting "snakepit" and the name stuck....

Thats the story I got told.

I hope that is true. I much prefer the idea of the name coming about spontaneously rather than a group of fans thinking it up because they wanted a name that sounded intimidating.Moo

I thought it was cos Chase referred to the fans as a venomous pit of snakes during the Chase Out era and after that the corner started hissing. I assume the same game as Jas wrote but for different reasons?

I do think in actual fact the snakepit should be torn down but only so it can be rebuilt without those stupid pillars!

yes the whole stand need replacing  to increase the capacity.I maybe wrong but wasn''t the snake pit just the barclay overspill?I remember myself going along to swindon at home in 1996,  them days you just turned up and bought tickets on the door, going to get a ticket for the Barclay and being told it had soldout.  along with many others were force into the corner infill, you then got a mix of your beer drinking lads who when to football games to sing and abuse the opposition sitting next to the afternoon tea brigade.  From that season people just liked it and maybe still hold a grudge to being denied their place in the Barclay which formed the faction of supporters that became the snake pit.

The one bright area in terms of support this year has been the snake pit. Lets not demolish but build a much larger free standing snake pit to get the Carra rocking again

PS Hughton out would also help and the Messiah back would be the cherry on the cake

Fraz wrote the following post at 2014-02-21 4:56 PM:

yes the whole stand need replacing to increase the capacity.

Watch that space!

Depends greatly on the final outcome of this season - but on the cards.

[quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]oh dearold Billy Liar is at it again............ or perhaps he could tell us exactly where he sits and how he accesses his seat

"Undoubtedly YES!!!! The Snake Pit would be better named the Ultimate

Plastic Pit. Why? Take any cup game against lower league opposition.

It''s always empty because its diehards denizens are only interested in

seeing Manyoo and Liverpool. Bring on the wrecking ball"
Anybody who ever says this is retarded. Maybe after spending x number of seasons sitting in the exact same seat they fancy a change and will buy a cup ticket in the Barclay? Why if you sit in the same seat in the same part of the ground for every game for years and years would you not think "I know I''ll go and sit in the Jarrold for a game". If you go and sit in the Barclay Lower for a cup game it is usually full of kids. Just because there are people occupying the seats in the Barclay Lower doesn''t mean that they are the same people who occupy the seats for league games.

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]

oh dear

old Billy Liar is at it again

............ or perhaps he could tell us exactly where he sits and how he accesses his seat

[/quote]

You never been in the Aviva Community area Pompus/Zak/City1st, or used the lift?..........you know, where members remain in their wheelchairs.

I have sat in the Snake pit for the last 6 seasons, prior to that the Barlclay for 10+ years, as for the Hooligan element, it has all apart from a handfull all gone, presumably alot banned for various reasons or that they have just fell out of love with football and fighting or not being able to do what they liked!! a new young generation is in place but not very hardcore!! as for cup games alot will tend to move about, i for one sat in the River End for last cup games with a few mates who regulary sit there!! they did warn me what to expect!! even if you farted you would get death stares from the lap blanket brigade!!

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="City1st"][quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]oh dearold Billy Liar is at it again............ or perhaps he could tell us exactly where he sits and how he accesses his seat

[/quote]

You never been in the Aviva Community area Pompus/Zak/City1st, or used the lift?..........you know, where members remain in their wheelchairs.

[/quote]since whe did you stop going into the Barclay

[quote user="Fraz"]yes the whole stand need replacing  to increase the capacity.

[/quote]I agree have you ever tried to book a room at the Holiday Inn on a matchday??An hotel in every corner that''s what the plastics like me who live hundreds of miles from a home game need!!And none of that row upon row dormitory nonsense like the poor people who have to sleep in the Jarrold put up with either!! [:@]

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="Wiz"][quote user="City1st"][quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]

oh dear

old Billy Liar is at it again

............ or perhaps he could tell us exactly where he sits and how he accesses his seat

[/quote]

[/quote]

since whe did you stop going into the Barclay

[/quote]

Oh just give it up you fool ................no one cares.

Actually people do care Wiz.You constantly lie and change your mind about things. This is why people pour scorn on your views, and rightly ridicule you.

[quote user="morty"]Actually people do care Wiz.

You constantly lie and change your mind about things. This is why people pour scorn on your views, and rightly ridicule you.

[/quote]

And in doing that they ridicule themselves.

I should have added apart from the usual posters who by tradition dislike and tell lies about me, point scorers, forum bullies and all round tw*ts...........I place you in every section btw.

PS.  Snowy''s fine and dandy.[:D]