Sign in to follow this  
Buster Douglas

Abhorrent!!!!!

OT I know but its being stated in the media that Wayne Rooney is going to sign a new 5.5 year contract at Manure for £300,000 a WEEK!

That''s 15.8 m per year or close to £86 m all told!!! Irrespective of how talented or not he is this is just ridiculous, players receiving these types of salaries will only make it more expensive to the ordinary supporter to watch the games be it either at the grounds or on TV!

There really needs to be more control over these types of issues which are really ruining the game for the average punter!!

Rant Over!

OTBC!!!

Good luck to him. If a club wants to pay him that, its not his fault. No one forced man u to do it.

Of course it is! If we continue to pay totally over inflated wages to players where do you think the money for this is going to come from! Increased prices across the board from merchandising to tickets to your half time cup of bovril!, and seeing as TV is the major source of revenue for the Prem when contracts for the rights are renegotiated the clubs will demand more money! This will then be recouped thru increased subscriptions!

[quote user="slartyblartfast"]Of course it is! If we continue to pay totally over inflated wages to players where do you think the money for this is going to come from! Increased prices across the board from merchandising to tickets to your half time cup of bovril!, and seeing as TV is the major source of revenue for the Prem when contracts for the rights are renegotiated the clubs will demand more money! This will then be recouped thru increased subscriptions![/quote]

Although increased spending by clubs might lead to higher ticket/merchandise prices it won''t have a large effect on TV rights money. 1st the TV companies deal with the Premier League as a whole, not the clubs. Also it isn''t a negotiation in which the Premier League or clubs can hold out for more money, bidding is done blind by a host of companies who want the rights. The amount paid has gone up in recent years due to increased competition, firstly from ESPN and now, on a much larger scale by BT. With Google and Al Jazeera all planning bids to buy broadcasting rights the amount Prem clubs receive will only increase, with potentially more providers coming into the market we might see a price war and the cost coming down (I''m sure many people this season are seeing games cheaper than ever before due to BT''s broadband/sports package deal).

Anyway, Man U are seeing this Rooney deal as a way to save money, if they don''t give him this deal he''ll go to Chelsea cheap in the summer and Man U will have to spend £25m - £30m replacing him and paying that new player £200,000 - £250,000 a week wages. Which would work out being more expensive in the long run and they won''t lose a significant player to a direct rival.

What it genuinely boils down to is jealousy, Im afraid.

What about F1 drivers and golfers?

[quote user="slartyblartfast"]Fair point Bethnal but as you quoted players being paid £200_£250k plus per week is at best abhorrent and immoral in my opinion![/quote]

I understand that feeling, but it is what happens in a free-market economy. Clubs are willing to pay that much so players aren''t going to say no.

Players like Rooney, and others who can demand the very highest wages, are global brands and the top .0001% in the world in their profession. With the increasing popularity of football (especially the Premier League) across the world, Rooney is a more recognised figure than Hollywood stars like Tom Cruise of Brad Pitt (both who earn considerably more than £300k a week), so is it really that ''abhorrent''? It is still a considerably smaller sum than many American football, baseball or basketball players earn - many of which have a much smaller global appeal.

Yes Morty I will agree with that to a certain extent, the gulf between the haves and haves not is ever widening, reflects society in many respects I suppose!

Anyway,

OTBC!

Nobody is forced to pay for sky tv and there must be a tipping point somewhere where Joe Soap would stop subscribing. Sky can''t bid too much for premiership rights and have to put their prices up beyond the means of the ordinary punter.

At the end of the day United have x pounds to spend and how much of that they give to Rooney is a business decision. My guess is that they have concluded that they won''t qualify for the Champions League next season and will somehow need to attract some top quality without the lure of that competition. Keeping Rooney is a statement of intent for any prospective arrivals.

I would think most people feel wages this high for playing football is abhorrent but capitalism throws up this sort of thing in an open market.

[quote user="slartyblartfast"]But just to pick you up on one thing Morty a lot of F1 drivers are paid through sponsorship deals and they actually bring the money into the teams from elsewhere.[/quote]
And more likely to avoid tax.  By living in tax havens.
As long as British based footballers pay their fair amount what''s the problem?

What about the soldiers that lose their lives or limbs on peanuts a week\month, yet that chimp get 300k it''s ridiculous and imo sums up exactly what''s wrong with today''s society. These lads can''t even get decent rehabilitation in this country yet 1 month of that chimps wages would make a massive difference. At the end of the day he owns his house outright etc so it''s 300k a week to w*nk up the wall on 3grand bottles of champagne and taking little old ladies to hotel rooms to "check out their bus passes"

[quote user="slartyblartfast"]But just to pick you up on one thing Morty a lot of F1 drivers are paid through sponsorship deals and they actually bring the money into the teams from elsewhere.[/quote]You''re kinda clutching at straws a bit here now[;)]

morty wrote the following post at 2014-02-21 4:21 PM:

Really?

The price of my sky package is directly linked to rooneys new contract?

Pity it''s not linked to any of our stars - we would get it for free, lol!

I have no big issue with any individual earning the maximum he or she can......but, for me the escalation of salaries to the players only a few clubs can afford is only going to be a problem in the longer term for teams like us in respect of being able to compete in the EPL. I really have the feeling that we are heading towards a two tier EPL, not that we havnt got that now, but a formal split and that would be a shame.  

[quote user="Joaquín El Chapo Guzmán "]What about the soldiers that lose their lives or limbs on peanuts a week\month, yet that chimp get 300k it''s ridiculous and imo sums up exactly what''s wrong with today''s society. These lads can''t even get decent rehabilitation in this country yet 1 month of that chimps wages would make a massive difference. At the end of the day he owns his house outright etc so it''s 300k a week to w*nk up the wall on 3grand bottles of champagne and taking little old ladies to hotel rooms to "check out their bus passes"[/quote]Here we go again...... [8-)]

[quote user="Joaquín El Chapo Guzmán "]What about the soldiers that lose their lives or limbs on peanuts a week\month, yet that chimp get 300k it''s ridiculous and imo sums up exactly what''s wrong with today''s society. These lads can''t even get decent rehabilitation in this country yet 1 month of that chimps wages would make a massive difference. At the end of the day he owns his house outright etc so it''s 300k a week to w*nk up the wall on 3grand bottles of champagne and taking little old ladies to hotel rooms to "check out their bus passes"[/quote]I can tell you, from first hand, that the rehabilitation that the military offers after injury is world class.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="slartyblartfast"]But just to pick you up on one thing Morty a lot of F1 drivers are paid through sponsorship deals and they actually bring the money into the teams from elsewhere.[/quote]You''re kinda clutching at straws a bit here now[;)][/quote]

No far from it! Also those blokes literally risk their lives in the name of entertainment/sport! Rooney et all far from risk their lives every week!

So no, no straw clutching at straws here, perhaps you could have used a better example, son!

OTBC

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Joaquín El Chapo Guzmán "]What about the soldiers that lose their lives or limbs on peanuts a week\month, yet that chimp get 300k it''s ridiculous and imo sums up exactly what''s wrong with today''s society. These lads can''t even get decent rehabilitation in this country yet 1 month of that chimps wages would make a massive difference. At the end of the day he owns his house outright etc so it''s 300k a week to w*nk up the wall on 3grand bottles of champagne and taking little old ladies to hotel rooms to "check out their bus passes"[/quote]I can tell you, from first hand, that the rehabilitation that the military offers after injury is world class.[/quote]

Care to expand???

[quote user="slartyblartfast"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Joaquín El Chapo Guzmán "]What about the soldiers that lose their lives or limbs on peanuts a week\month, yet that chimp get 300k it''s ridiculous and imo sums up exactly what''s wrong with today''s society. These lads can''t even get decent rehabilitation in this country yet 1 month of that chimps wages would make a massive difference. At the end of the day he owns his house outright etc so it''s 300k a week to w*nk up the wall on 3grand bottles of champagne and taking little old ladies to hotel rooms to "check out their bus passes"[/quote]I can tell you, from first hand, that the rehabilitation that the military offers after injury is world class.[/quote]

Care to expand???[/quote]No.

Do the injured soldiers deserve £300K/ week, or do all soldiers deserve that? With 500,000 (just a guess) soldiers serving, that''s gonna require a heck of a tax breaks increase. Are you willing to pay it, or has your self-righteous indignation been watered down by a bit of common sense?

Its an astronomical amount and imo far in excess of his actual ability.

But in context I heard an article on radio 5 putting his wage at c£30 per min, while film stars, NBA, NFL & F1 stars earn c4 times as much; no one moans at their wages which are no less easy in the earning but merely reflect what firms are willing to pay.

Good luck to wayne, we all want to be earning more than our talent and he has exploited a situation perfectly; however I still struggle to respect any player who sulks and whines each time their contract is up threatening to leave unless their dummy is placed back in the pram.

Houston is spot on RE: Soldiers.

The other point I would make is, people in the military know what they''re signing up for, and for what wage. Nobody put a gun to their head and marched them to the recruitment centre. The soldiers vs footballers argument is one of the most lazy and overdone. Sounds all a bit Daily Mail to me.

[quote user="splutcho"]Houston is spot on RE: Soldiers.

The other point I would make is, people in the military know what they''re signing up for, and for what wage. Nobody put a gun to their head and marched them to the recruitment centre. The soldiers vs footballers argument is one of the most lazy and overdone. Sounds all a bit Daily Mail to me.[/quote]Exactly.The comparison is stupid.