Sign in to follow this  
havemyhowsonit

Maybe Chris Martin weren't so bad after all....

He''s at his level, good player but not premiership quality. Mind you the aficionados on here didn''t even rate at Championship level so there shouldn''t be too much support for your idea that he''s just what we need.

If it was as easy as taking a player who scores in the Championship, and he comes and scores in the Premiership, then this buying players thing would be easy.

[quote user="TheEarlyMilkman"]Many fans/pundits didn''t think Grant Holt was good enough for premier league how many would take him back now?!?!?[/quote]Now?Nah.With no disrespect to what he did for us, he''s well past his sell by date now I''m afraid.

[quote user="Dr Crafty Canary"]He''s at his level, good player but not premiership quality. Mind you the aficionados on here didn''t even rate at Championship level so there shouldn''t be too much support for your idea that he''s just what we need.[/quote]
How many did he score in that championship season? 
I can tell you. He got 4, in 21 games. 
He was outscored that season by Andrew Crofts and the Norfolk Cafu. (Although admittedly Crofts played 44 games and Cafu played 46). Lansbury got 4 in 23 games from Midfield. Jacko got 13 in 18 starts.
That is not a good enough return to impress anyone I''m afraid. 

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Have you seen grant holt play this season? He looks like he''s got that pay check he wanted[/quote]pay check ?have the halted his wages ?

Far too many people on here were too quick to critisise CM during our season in the championship. Those with good memories or a look at the DVD will show he was playing very well up until his injury and made some key contributions.

May well have found his level now, but good luck to him if Derby go up - Holt Is proof it''s never too late to step up. Martin certainly not the ''lazy'' player those short sighted city fans argued.

We spent £15 million on strikers that had never played at a level higher than the championship. He could of been useful in the link role behind the striker, always had good vision and a good touch. Can anyone honestly say he would have been worse than our forwards this season?

"Can anyone honestly say he would have been worse than our forwards this season? "

Yes - comfortably worse.

As Morty says, the fact someone has scored goals at Championship level does not automatically guarantee that they will score goals in the Premiership as well. Some like Ricky Lambert and Holty take to it straight away whereas others struggle.

It''s all very well saying these things with the benefit of hindsight but lets also look at the context of these decisions at the time as well.

In pre season I very much doubt that any Norwich fan alive would have genuinely preferred Chris Martin to either of RVW or Gary Hooper. Particularly, given that CM didn''t exactly fire when on loan at either Swindon or Derby last season.

I believe that CM was crying out for a fresh start somewhere else to kick start his career. He has got that with Derby, clearly worked very hard and is getting his rewards. Good luck to the lad but I doubt he would have fired to Premiership safety this year.

kirku wrote the following post at 23/02/2014 7:57 AM:

"Can anyone honestly say he would have been worse than our forwards this season? "

Yes - comfortably worse.

RVW 1 goal, Elmander 0 goals, Becchio 0 goals, Hooper 5. How can a forward be worse than 0 goals?

I have always thought chris martin could be the next teddy sheringham not blessed with great pace but can link up well that''s all up to him though ? I think some player mature late I think he will be back in premier sometime in his career

It''s Character Forming wrote the following post at 23/02/2014 9:13 AM:

By not playing as well

Lol. You obviosly havn''t watched our forwards this season. Them playing well is rarer than rocking horse sh1t!

Don''t think there should ever be any doubt about whether he''s a good player or not - it''s obvious he has got some talent.

But so have plenty of other players in the Champs. They are at their level and so is Chris Martin. It''s still a very high standard despite it being the second tier, as such.

"Lol. You obviosly havn''t watched our forwards this season. Them playing well is rarer than rocking horse sh1t!"

Yet, despite their pedigree, they''re somehow inevitably worse than Martin?

He''s a decent player who has found his level. Going by the stats, which seem to matter a lot to you, he''s worse than Becchio - who is also a Championship striker.

Hoops, RVW and Elmander are a cut above Martin and always will be.