Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Wazzy's Ref Watch

Craig Pawson

I think it''s the first time Pawson has reffed us having only officiated in 8 Premier League games before today. Having done so few games at this level I didn''t know quite what we were going to get.

He looked at ease throughout the game, and controlled it well. All the yellow cards were justified and I felt he had a really good game. It was nice to see someone who didn''t fall for all the theatrics and let the game flow. I did think he was let down by one of his assistants though, a couple of the offsides in the first half were scandalous. And a couple of times the inexperience did show - at this level you don''t pace out the ten yards for a free kick!

Craig Pawson - 8 can we have you every week?

''At this level you don''t pace out the ten yards for a free kick!''

Since when?

Other than that, he''s I agree. Very professional performance from the ref.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]''At this level you don''t pace out the ten yards for a free kick!''

Since when?

Other than that, he''s I agree. Very professional performance from the ref.[/quote]

If you are going to do it GP, even at a lower level you would subtly walk it out parallel to the offence (not from the exact spot it happened) so even the players might not notice what you were doing. Using the pitch markings is also a great aid in getting the ten yards!

The best referees are the ones whos name you do not know. I had no idea who wad refereeing us & didn''t recognise him when he walked out

One thing i noticed today was how he booked Ruddy for timewasting - simple, no messing around telling people to hurry up 10/15 times before doing anything. Our players then knew that he wouldn''t stand for it so didn''t do it so the game as a spectacle was much better

Some good old fashioned tackling and tussling allowed today, a few times players from both sides were down and looking for the regulation free kick and all they got was "Am I bovvered"?Caveat thought Vertonghen was a bit lucky not to see more than one card for his through the back thuggish tackling, failure to be issued red normally would have resulted in a 92nd minute Vertonghen winner not today tho'' so no harm done.

Had never heard of him before today. Best referee we have had this season. No theatricals, firm, but always kept himself in the background and allowed the game to flow. As I saw it all of his decisions seemed correct.

Yes he had a very good game. The Best refs are the ones you tend to not notice are there, just like he had today. Hats off to him, credit where it is due.

I must admit I found myself thinking about his performance after the game so much that I searched to see a little bit about this guy, he came up to the elite group in 2013 so hopefully this is one of his first of many Premier League games, very good ref, let it flow throughout when the divers were still rolling around and looked the part. As stated earlier, his assistants did let him down with some criminal offside calls (both given and not) as well as a blatant ball over the line situation, but his performance well deserves the 8 he was given.Well done sir