Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Stick or Twist

As somebody pointed out to me after the game...

10. West Ham Stick

11. Hull Stick

12. Swansea Twist

13. Aston Villa Stick

14. Norwich Stick

15. Stoke stick

16. Palace Twist

17. West Brom Twist

18. Sunderland Twist

19. Cardiff Twist

20. Fulham Twist and let''s twist again[8]

Very interesting, but perhaps a little premature. The end of season table will hopefully make for very interesting reading.

Well no one can say I didn''t warn them.The evidence says it makes no difference in the long run and we see that being played out before our very eyes. In fact I would say on that evidence that the stickers have it on the twisters at the moment.At the end of the season some will think they were right and some will think they were wrong but the awful truth is that none of it made any difference at all.

That may be so Rickyyyyyy. But the only real advantage in replacing a manager during the season would be if the player''s were not being motivated so not playing for the man in charge. This has never been a possibility here and only suggested by folk who can''t possibly see the team play. Same with Lambert at Villa. Sam at West Ham. Bruce at Hull and so on...

[quote user="I.S."]Very interesting, but perhaps a little premature. The end of season table will hopefully make for very interesting reading.[/quote]Agreed. I imagine by the end of the season it will show that some teams changed their manager and got better, some changed and got worse, some stuck and got better, and some stuck and got worse.

What would be more interesting along side that table would be the league placings of the respected ''twisting'' teams showing if they have made any improvement since reappointing. Its too easy to just show the current table, without actually taking into account the task and disadvantage they had to make up points wise on the others around them.

Good point Seattle, but I guess you need to then take into account the relative "difficulty" of the teams each manager has played as well to be really thorough.

I think it is very easy to think that the manager is responsible for all woes at a club, but West Ham is an amazing example of this. I saw them lose to a lower league club in the cup and thought they were absolutely dead and buried, yet now they have put 4 wins together (even if one was ridiculously fortunate) back-to-back and are up to the top half.

That is exactly why we love football, and I guess it just goes to show shows that the factor influencing a poor run of form are more complicated than anyone would like to admit, and maybe we should just get behind our team and enjoy the ride!

I agree and we have an 11 game season starting now! Interestingly both Sunderland and Palace are averaging a whole point more a game since their reappointment. Fulham have remained the same, and WBA and Cardiff are down 0.3 and 0.2 points per game. Interesting stuff.

Sticking/twisting is irrelevant, it''s about who you bring in afterwards. Solskjaer and Muelensteen were obviously going to be poor choices, I said that from the beginning. Anyone who thought they''d somehow be a success on the basis of their names alone were morons.

Mel could have gone either way it was a gamble and Pulis and Poyet were obviously good choices from the start and had they not come in I have no doubt there''d only be one relegation place up for grabs.

I still don''t think Hughton is very good but will support him to the end of the season no matter what because we can''t do any better at this stage but if the board are only looking at replacements of the caliber of Mackay/Lennon or god forbid Phelan/Hoddle then it''s probably not even worth ''twisting''

Good judgement Rollesby but I''m afraid you were in the minority about Solskjaer and Muelensteen, two managers widely craved for as good replacements for Hughton. Also good judgement to say it''s about who you bring in. I''ve said consistently for months that sacking Hughton won''t solve anything and in my opinion we only have a 50/50 chance of getting someone better.

So bearing that all in mind would we have had anything to gain by sacking Hughton at any point this season?

In hindsight no, when I became an ''outer'' sometime during the West Ham game after the City defeat I thought we were really going to struggle (Judgement not that great :P) I also believed Hughton had lost the players after the reaction top the Man City loss so was convinced he needed to go asap. I think most would agree we should be fine this year now so sacking him would have been a mistake.

But I really do fail to see what Solskjaer and Meulensteen had done in their careers to justify a job at this level or why anybody would think they''d have been a success, their names popping up always bemused me

They''ve got interesting foreign names buddy. That helps no end[;)]

Nothing''s settled yet. There''s lots of ups and downs still to come. But a strength we have is that the players have pride in themselves , the club and their manager. The fans at the games see that and respond. It''s obviously not so obvious on the streams.

"Sticking/twisting is irrelevant, it''s about who you bring in afterwards"nopeyou''ve got it back to frontit is the state of the club BEFORE the new manager is brought inIn Aug 2009 the board had been almost completely changed, we had a very positive and driven CEOIf by chance the original board (plus Doncaster) had still been in place when Lambert came in I doubt if we would have seen what we did over the next few years.In our case we have a very stable club and a fairly decent squad - it was just the tactics and coaching were hopelessly wrong. They have been changed dramatically over the past couple of weeks or so and will continue to do so. Whether those changes will continue with Hughton this or next season will remain to be seen - but it was these changes, not simply a change in manager that were desperately needed.