Sign in to follow this  
Matt Juler

A different approach?

I thought it was very refreshing to see City continue to press forward and cause an offensive threat this afternoon after taking the lead, and especially in the last 10 minutes.  Bringing on Wes instead of Whittaker also seemed a change of mentality, it wasn''t all about shutting up shop.I''m a firm believer that attack is the best form of defence; if the ball is down the other end of the pitch you may score and, worse case, it''s 120 yards away from your own goal!As for MotD, to quote a certain City midfielder, Danny Mills you''re a f**king s**thouse of a pundit.

Not a different approach at all, more a continuation of recent improvement in performance, that has culminated in 3 points.Some have noticed it over recent games, some haven''t.

Not a different approach Matt! we just got the result we deserved mate. Have you not seen the last few games and the way we have played? You have haven''t you, cos you were on the pitch for the Man City game?

How can anyone say today was a different approach? It was almost identical to "big results" at home last season, and the Man City/West Ham matches this season.

ron obvious wrote the following post at 23/02/2014 11:27 PM:

He is absolutely correct, in this particular instance.

No he isn''t Ron, we brought on a striker for a striker and an attack minded mid fielder for same, how is that different?

We have performed well in our last few games and this one was no different, it''s just that we got the result we deserved!

Case in point, the other day when Redmond and Hooper were taken off with them two our main threat and we went and lost. Today, Hoolahan came on and there wasn''t a single moment in that game where we gave up our attacking responsibility. It meant Spurs couldn''t just abandon defending and overwhelm us at th end.

ron obvious wrote the following post at 23/02/2014 11:43 PM:

Vanwink, I was referring to Morty; have we got our lines crossed?

Yes we have, sorry!

Our first attack where we didn''t hesitate, allow the opposition to get back and pass sideways/backwards needlessly and it resulted in a goal. We were also fast and incisive for Tettys chance, it''s so simple!

I have no idea whether this is the players fault or Hughtons instructions but slow, unconfident and hesitant attacks are the reason we haven''t been scoring, this tactic is completely illogical and is my number 1 gripe with Hughtons tenure. PLEASE CAN WE BE MORE DIRECT!

I know where you are coming from MJ, but isnt it just about two things.........having the right players fit to choose from and the general evolution the team play is going through. The last few games have clearly shown this, as did a few games earlier in the season when the right players were available then too, it went to pot in between and really showed the limitations we still have with our squad.   I am thinking what we have been seeing over the last few matches is the balanced style of play the management are clearly going for, but it is dependant on the players available to carry it out. 

I agree with the OP - it WAS a refreshing change yesterday. Too often we have sat off the opposition after taking the lead, resulting in our taking a good battering and often ending up losing. I was afraid that this would happen yesterday, and (especially after the drubbing we took at WHL) couldn''t see us keeping them out for 45mins after we scored. But in the event it was great to see us fighting for everything in midfield and continuing to attack effectively. It was this that kept Spurs back and wary, at least until the final minutes.