Sign in to follow this  
Howson is now!

Joseph Yobo, what a signing?

I have to be honest when I admit that I didn''t think Yobo would have much of an impact having signed for us and being out as long as he had been at Fenerbahce.

You can''t help but be impressed with having played three games and been an integral part of 2 clean sheets. He also looks a lot more composed than Bassong who is still showing he''s prone to lapses of concentration.

It''s very early days as only three games into his NCFC career but again it seems a pleasantly surprising bit of good business.

A great bit of business so far by Chris Hughton, and he deserves the credit for it. Been really impressed with Yobo, excellent technique and composure - our best central defender. 2 year deal on the table in the summer?

He has definitely helped improved us. I know Bennett is quite popular but in my opinion he''s not strong enough and in the absence of Turner we''ve now got someone who is a bit more on Bassong''s level.

quote ......and Smith must score.

When he signed he hadn''t played for months and his first game was against Man City !Feared he was in for a very hard time that day but he was brilliant and has been ever since.What do we know, eh ?

Totally agree. I would give him a rolling 12month contract in the summer

Brilliant in every game he''s played in. Stopped Man City and Spurs from scoring against us and could be key for our survival.

With Bennet, imo he is strong enough, but he just wasn''t putting in the challenges that a defender needs to, that boy has got all the attributes to become an England international; a bit of pace, positioning, passing, tall. He just needs to apply himself a bit better as he''s still young.

He''s certainly tall enough but he''ll need a lot more of all the rest of those attributes if he''s to get anywhere near playing for England.

And England aren''t even that well stocked in that area at the moment.

Yep, he''s been immense. And remember the outcry from fans when he signed? Almost every #NCFC tweeter was slagging it off. Glad he and Hughton have proved them all wrong.

[quote user="MancCanary"]Yep, he''s been immense. And remember the outcry from fans when he signed? Almost every #NCFC tweeter was slagging it off. Glad he and Hughton have proved them all wrong.[/quote]I don''t recall a huge amount of complaining about Yobo''s signing on here. The general view was ''give the guy a chance...let''s wait and see''.And, to be fait he''s not been found wanting. Looks like a good bit of business by Hughton.

Been a terrific signing. Thought he was faultless yesterday. Calm, composed but did the gritty stuff as well. Feel sorry for Turner and Bennett as both have been good, but the best thing about Yobo is he is bringing out the best in Bassong.

not sure we should spend money on him given his age, but I would hope the club work hard in the summer to get him on a season long loan...

I hold my handa up and say how wrong I was to write Yobo off, he has been superb and looks far better than our other options. I hope that this will get the likes of Bennett learing by playing with Yobo during training and I''m of the opinion that he might be a free agent come summer as I don''t think his parent club want him so would be a no brainer to give him a contract if that was the case.

If we stay up then I hope that the club would invest in a new high qulaity CB a bit younger than Yobo, but would love to have both here come start of next season.

Is currently bringing a calm authority to our defence. Could he be our Distin - still going strong at 36?

Would hope the club retains him if he carries on performing like he has.

Yes, he looked classy on Sunday.  It was noticeable that our CBs dealt with Adebayor comfortably all game, with one or two exceptions.  At the other end the Spurs CBs had a pretty torrid afternoon and were lucky not to be on yellow cards earlier in the game.

The only period we struggled was for a few mins after they brought on a second striker - took us a bit to adjust to it and they had their best chances.  But after a little bit we tightened up and they didn''t get much more, towards the end we looked much more likely to get another.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="MancCanary"]Yep, he''s been immense. And remember the outcry from fans when he signed? Almost every #NCFC tweeter was slagging it off. Glad he and Hughton have proved them all wrong.[/quote]I don''t recall a huge amount of complaining about Yobo''s signing on here. The general view was ''give the guy a chance...let''s wait and see''.And, to be fait he''s not been found wanting. Looks like a good bit of business by Hughton.[/quote]

Reggie, yeah it wasn''t so bad on here (still more than necessary though) - I was referring to Twitter more, where you get a lot of sheep-like behaviour and less knowledgeable casual fans who just like to slate anything that happens whilst Hughton is manager.

Has proved to be a great signing;   I too was concerned,   more at the lack of match practice,  but its clear he is fit and that he wants to appear in Brazil.   He has brought balance and understanding to the back four.

His partnership with Bassong has worked really effectively,  and probably our best centre back pairing since the 90s;      See how the rest of the season goes before deciding whether to sign him or someone like him for next season.

Yobo has been excellent for us, must admit i had my doubts but he''s stepped in like he''s never been away.I''d have no prob with his stay becoming permanent, we could get 2 or even 3 more seasons out of him. As someone pointed out, he and Seb kept Manu Adebeyor quiet, and he is in great form at the moment. By the way i think that he has brought steadiness to our back four that we havent had in the premier league. we kind of looked a bit like Evertons back four under Moyes. Yes, a great signing.

Got me scratching my head why he could not get in the  Fenerbahce side. Prehaps we should go after who ever is keeping him out of the  Fenerbahce side . But have to say looks solid and can read the game so well just what we need going into the crunch period.