Sign in to follow this  
Buzz Killington

So, what's changed?

Very happy with the win, and performance yesterday, and the work rate in the last 4 games or so. What I don''t understand is, why has it taken our precarious position to bring this out? We can play Tottenham, who always score, and we''re not defensive at all, yet earlier in the season we seemed so concerned about not conceding that all we did was defend, against arguably lesser opposition. Surely it shouldn''t take the very real threat of relegation to get us playing the way we seem to be now. Pre-season and training would be the time to get it sorted, not the first 23 games of the season. Not a moan, a simple question - we could have had so much more of an enjoyable season.

For me the obvious answer is having the right players fit and available. I think we look so much better when we can play two defensive midfielders, Leroy looks a different player when he just has to concentrate on going forward.

When it gets hairier, you''re happy to take more risks as you have less to lose and their is more urgency. At the start of the season everyone was more than happy to reassure themselves that ''it''ll come, and ''we''ll be fine''. Composure is one thing, complacency is another. This is why England so often stroll along in games against Moldova, only to suddenly realise that when at 0-0 with 10 minutes to go that a little more application is needed. The best teams have managers who get the team playing as if every game is a cup final (Mourinho), so this urgency is seen throughout the season, not just when you need points in games such as West Brom and Man City like last season.

The only thing that actually changed yesterday was we managed to actually score and not make any mistakes in defence (well, there was that one from Bassong but Adebayor messed it up). We had a bit of luck on our side. We still missed some very good chances late on, again a mix of bad luck (Johnson FK, an inch lower and that would have gone over the line), poor finishing (Redmond in the box, thought that was a fantastic chance) and whatever it was that stopped Tettey scoring.
We''ve been playing well in most games bar Fulham since Christmas. We''ve just be incapable of scoring, and nearly every game made a defensive mistake or two allowing the other side in when they didn''t really deserve it on the balance of play, so to speak.
Keep playing like we have, and find our shooting boots and we could easily stay up comfortably. I think we need to score a couple against Villa, and a couple the game after. Honestly, if we lose 3-2 to Villa, or draw 2-2 its progress. Hopefully we can take advantage of their current uselessness and poor home form all season and beat them.

I agree with most of the replies above. You seem to assume it is the threat of relegation that has brought this out. Yet that threat has been there since the start of the season (indeed, at the start of every season). There are so many factors that influence performances and results yet many people seem hell bent on ascribing poor performances to just one. It must be the tactics, it must be the training/coaching, it must be x, y, z player (this week), it must be lack of confidence, it must be dressing room unrest, it was the useless officials, the wind was blowing in the wrong direction, the players all need counselling etc.

Usually it is a mixture of all of the above and plenty more I couldn''t think of off the top of my head right at this minute.

We are still under threat of relegation (until we are mathematically safe); that doesn''t necessarily mean we will play to the same standard against Villa or any of the remaining teams.

The main thing that has changed is that squad has now had the best part of three quarters of a season playing together from a position of a lot of new faces at the start of the season to mesh in.

All in all, our play is looking more fluid, defensively we are much better, we are creating more and more chances. Once the confidence that only wins can bring is there, more of those chances will find the net.

A fit squad is the key;   BJ ups his games as howson comes back and competition for places start,    & Tettey and Yobo have given us a key platform,   Tettey makes/allows the midfield to tick,   while yobo bassong is the first cb partnership we have had since being back in the prem.

I too think Tettey''s return to fitness has made a big difference and coincides with the team''s recent improvement.

And we look an awful lot more solid defensively with Yobo at the back.

but nothing has changed it seemswhat fans at home and on the telly saw was not change, but a consiracy so it seemseven Hughton''s admittance in his post match interview was dubbed over to hide his words that nothing has changed !

however in reality he has been told that things on the pitch had to change, the policy ofdefensive sh ite and holding on for a draw had to endunless of course that interview was all part of this bizarre ''conspiracy'' being touted by one of the apologists

Hughton has stated that he has to play to get as many points as possible

the players are now free to playthat''s all 

stop himhe''s dubbing Hughton''s wordshe''s rewiting Keepthfaiths posts

next thing he''ll be telling us that the moon landings appened and Diana wasn''t killed by Prince Phillip

now why not watch Hughton''s interview ................. or is he also part of this conspiracy of yours ?

Nothing much has changed apart from Yobo and Tettey making us more solid at the back again.

Still don''t really have a clue what to do when we cross half way. Will take anything I can get though.

Although I thought the midfield complemented each other well yesterday, I wouldn''t want 2 holding midfielders against west brom and stoke at home. Would like to think we could find room for a better ball player (Howson or Wes)  in there. How ever I have no idea who to drop after that performance though.Yobo has made a difference too

I wouldn''t get too hung up on the two holding midfielders. Both Tettey and Johnson managed to get forward yesterday.

I think it''s more about having enough bodies in midfield and attacking (and defending) as a unit, which we did very well.

[quote user="Fuzzar"]I wouldn''t get too hung up on the two holding midfielders. Both Tettey and Johnson managed to get forward yesterday.

I think it''s more about having enough bodies in midfield and attacking (and defending) as a unit, which we did very well.[/quote]

It is the kind of football we have seen in glimpses all through Hughton''s tenure.  During the unbeaten run and late on in the first season and sometimes this season.   When it hasn''t worked - for whatever reason - we look poor and struggle - but the consistency of the kind of  performances we have seen recently is what we must surely be after - and that comes with  time, effort, belief and confidence - and a full squad to choose from.   

There has been a lot said about the poor stuff we have played - rightly so, we all want to see us playing well - but the underlying truths are that Hughton does inspire people to play for him, he has a good eye for a player and several have come here because of him - and as time goes on we will see more of this type of performance.    Its taken a long time, but it does seem as if he has started to get the best out of what he has.   The good thing is that there is room for improvement and we can take confidence from that.

[quote user="Fuzzar"]I wouldn''t get too hung up on the two holding midfielders. Both Tettey and Johnson managed to get forward yesterday.

I think it''s more about having enough bodies in midfield and attacking (and defending) as a unit, which we did very well.[/quote]I think having a three comprising two predominately defensive midfielders is, by far, our best option.I really don''t think Fer likes the defensive side much, so Brad and Alex meant he could get forward a lot more and support the striker. But obviously he is more than capable of dropping back to cover if the other two venture forward.

[quote user="The Ghost of Percy Varco"]One word. Tettey.[/quote]

+1

Its not just the pace to be able to screen the defence or the fact he hardly gives the ball away. Its the work he puts in to be available for the ball from others.

As has been said already, Alex Tettey.

The team looks miles better with him in. In Huckerbys book he underlined the importance of Gary Holt in allowing our attacking players to commit themselves forward, knowing they had cover. This is what Tettey does now, allowing Redmond, Snodgrass, Fer and even Johnson to attack with security against the threat of counter-attacks.

Yobo deserves a mention for the calm he has brought to a defence prone to flinching, too.

A fit midfield makes all the difference. And now we are getting Howson back too, which gives options for which three to play....

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Fuzzar"]I wouldn''t get too hung up on the two holding midfielders. Both Tettey and Johnson managed to get forward yesterday.

I think it''s more about having enough bodies in midfield and attacking (and defending) as a unit, which we did very well.[/quote]I think having a three comprising two predominately defensive midfielders is, by far, our best option.I really don''t think Fer likes the defensive side much, so Brad and Alex meant he could get forward a lot more and support the striker. But obviously he is more than capable of dropping back to cover if the other two venture forward.[/quote]but does this mean there is no place for howson, arguably our best player this season before injury?

Howson is best suited to the forward midfield role, Fers current place. Do you play Howson deeper, move Fer deeper or not play 1 of Fer or Howson at all?

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Fuzzar"]I wouldn''t get too hung up on the two holding midfielders. Both Tettey and Johnson managed to get forward yesterday.

I think it''s more about having enough bodies in midfield and attacking (and defending) as a unit, which we did very well.[/quote]I think having a three comprising two predominately defensive midfielders is, by far, our best option.I really don''t think Fer likes the defensive side much, so Brad and Alex meant he could get forward a lot more and support the striker. But obviously he is more than capable of dropping back to cover if the other two venture forward.[/quote]but does this mean there is no place for howson, arguably our best player this season before injury?

Howson is best suited to the forward midfield role, Fers current place. Do you play Howson deeper, move Fer deeper or not play 1 of Fer or Howson at all?

[/quote]Howson pushes Fer for the place, thats how it works. For me its either / or.

[quote user="morty"]

I really don''t think Fer likes the defensive side much [/quote]

I dont quite agree with this;   I would say he prefers having a more roving role, eg box to box, rather than having to sit deep and be the shield;  in the 80+ min yest he was back in on the edge of the pen area near the snake pit winning the ball back yet again.

Overall he is effective defensively,  he is firm in the tackle and wins the ball back regularly;   of the 4 central midfield options he has made (and won) more tackles than any other city player this season (& more than the next two central midfielders combined) and, on average, makes 40% more tackles per game than any other regular city starter.

When Howson does comes back in it will be for Johnson;  but while BJ is playing as he is Johnny will have to wait for his chance. 

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[quote user="morty"]

I really don''t think Fer likes the defensive side much [/quote]

I dont quite agree with this;   I would say he prefers having a more roving role, eg box to box, rather than having to sit deep and be the shield;  in the 80+ min yest he was back in on the edge of the pen area near the snake pit winning the ball back yet again.

Overall he is effective defensively,  he is firm in the tackle and wins the ball back regularly;   of the 4 central midfield options he has made (and won) more tackles than any other city player this season (& more than the next two central midfielders combined) and, on average, makes 40% more tackles per game than any other regular city starter.

[/quote]Isn''t that exactly what I said though? I didn''t say he can''t do it, I just get the impression he''d rather be further up the pitch.