Sign in to follow this  
wcorkcanary

Limit Redmonds touches?

If you are coaching young players, and one of them has pace, skill and balance like Redders, but like Redders has poor end product and hangs on to the ball too long, then its common practice to limit their number of touches in training to get them into the idea that there are other players around and that a simple ''give and go'' is very effective, particularly when the boy has such pace.

He could also be fitted with a shock collar similar to that worn by dogs that bark too much, one coach in the dugout tasked with giving him an ''electric reminder'' to keep his head up and look to pass to his team mates, anyone got any other ideas how this boys obvious talent can be harnessed.

He does get a bit over excited, but I thought his defensive work yesterday was the best of his season. I think he will turn out to be a great buy.

[quote user="dj11"]He does get a bit over excited, but I thought his defensive work yesterday was the best of his season. I think he will turn out to be a great buy.[/quote]You can''t put an old head on young shoulders.

He''s obviously a fantastic talent but just needs a bit more maturity and to learn to make better decisions in some situations, without damaging his confidence. Yesterday I almost got the impression that he knew he was on Sky Sports and he wanted to impress, which wouldn''t really surprise me considering his age.

No doubt he''s still finding it hard to play the right attacking ball but that''s inevitable at his age.

I felt he did a lot better yesterday about playing a simple square or backwards pass when there was nothing on in front of him.

And yes, defo a good performance defensively (again) from him

you could say that about most fast wingers though, look at theo walcott; its only recently that his final ball has got up to the quality of a premier league quality

He is improving, his crossing has improved and even most of his shots are actually on target in recent games. Obviously yesterday he hit a very poor shot when RVW was showing him exactly where to put the ball.
He will learn and develop that final ball. He knows he messed up yesterday and because we won he could laugh at himself (see his twitter). He does worry teams, and I think his threat actually helps Johnson''s attacking output, because everyone is worried about Redmond running at them Bradders finds the time and space he needs to pass well enough. Should have had an assist against West Ham with his ball to Hooper and got a deserved one yesterday, could have had another after a decent ball from similar position. And he''s played balls in from there before.
Obviously its up to the coaching staff to make sure he does learn, perfect that final ball. And when he does he''ll be first choice for England. And hopefully still here!

One thing I think could easily and quickly be improved is that wild shot he has when he cuts in inside, particularly from the left.

When he''s cutting in like that on his right foot he could look to curl a shot using the inside of his foot, giving him a bit more control. Rather than trying to smash it as hard as he can and seeing it fly out towards the corner flag.

Start putting a bit more on target, give the ''keeper something to deal with.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="dj11"]He does get a bit over excited, but I thought his defensive work yesterday was the best of his season. I think he will turn out to be a great buy.[/quote]You can''t put an old head on young shoulders.[/quote]

Mr Burns did in that episode of The Simpsons...

It was a game of contrasts when it comes to composure and shooting. Both Redmond and Tettey had rushes of blood to the head more often seen coming from Bradley Johnson. By contrast, Bradley Johnson had one of the best games I''ve ever seen him have, passing very composed, tackling composed, definite MOM for me. And what a free kick. We all know what power he has in that shot, but with time to compose and set himself in a dead ball situation, he showed he can also apply it. No more shooting from open play please BJ, but Id happily see him take all our free-kicks in shooting positions.

Perhaps Redmond needs to be coached that he doesnt need to strike it that hard. Think the wild swings simply come from hiim trying to generate as much power as possible, if he focussed less on power and more on his body shape and centre of gravity then his shots wouldnt be so wild - this has to come from the coaching

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]

It was a game of contrasts when it comes to composure and shooting. Both Redmond and Tettey had rushes of blood to the head more often seen coming from Bradley Johnson. By contrast, Bradley Johnson had one of the best games I''ve ever seen him have, passing very composed, tackling composed, definite MOM for me. And what a free kick. We all know what power he has in that shot, but with time to compose and set himself in a dead ball situation, he showed he can also apply it. No more shooting from open play please BJ, but Id happily see him take all our free-kicks in shooting positions.

[/quote]
What about the Palace goal? You don''t want him to do that again?
His shooting has actually been improving more and more. I think its one of the most obvious examples, along with Redmond''s defending of a player actually improving an area of their game. He keeps nearly every shot down, half of them end up being blocked though now. If he has time and space he uses it very well, as he showed with the assist, another similar ball into again I think Snodgrass but in the air and he did it against West Ham as well (and has done it before)
Plus Johnson and Tettey playing behind Fer is bringing the best out of him. He just needs to work on improving his late game, he nearly always looks past it after 70 minutes, except for that time he scored of course! Howson/Fer competing for that one spot could really see out season kick start from here. 

To be fair, I would rather have a winger who WANTS to take touches, get at players, have a go, be selfish sometimes and make things happen...rather than a winger who doesn''t want to know. Redmond looks class for me. Exciting, pacey, he ran the Spurs full backs ragged both times he switched wings. He is young, still developing. But I for one am really encouraged by him in his first Premier League season so far.

''And when he does he''ll be first choice for England. And hopefully still here!''..........gingerpele. At the moment i''d say he''s doin ok but surely he''s behind Andros Townsend and Raheem Sterling.

''To be fair, I would rather have a winger who WANTS to take touches, get at players, have a go, be selfish sometimes and make things happen...rather than a winger who doesn''t want to know'' .......KCASN.....Me too, but all is wasted unless there is real end product, and despite him being one of our most exiting players he is often profligate. No one wants to stifle his talent , just improve it.

My original post was not a challenge to an

argument just an open question hoping for suggestions(lighthearted and serious) as to how he can improve.

[quote user="wcorkcanary"]''And when he does he''ll be first choice for England. And hopefully still here!''..........gingerpele. At the moment i''d say he''s doin ok but surely he''s behind Andros Townsend and Raheem Sterling.

''To be fair, I would rather have a winger who WANTS to take touches, get at players, have a go, be selfish sometimes and make things happen...rather than a winger who doesn''t want to know'' .......KCASN.....Me too, but all is wasted unless there is real end product, and despite him being one of our most exiting players he is often profligate. No one wants to stifle his talent , just improve it.

My original post was not a challenge to an

argument just an open question hoping for suggestions(lighthearted and serious) as to how he can improve.[/quote]
Hopefully a lot will come with maturity.  And there is also a good argument (again) for having some sort of attacking/shooting coach involved.

wcorkcanary.
Yes at the moment he is behind those at the moment. But Townsend hasn''t done anything much good for some while. He had a purple patch, a very short one at that, got in the England team and I can''t remember if he''s even scored for Spurs since then. And Sterling is hit and miss. Townsend is 3 or so years older than both Sterling and Redmond, I think in a couple of years he won''t be in the England squad unless there are 2/3 injuries. Wouldn''t be surprised if he was behind Redmond, Sterling, Ince (maybe), Zaha, A.Johnson then you have the OX and potentially Walcott as wide options as well. Townsend isn''t that good in my opinion, got fairly lucky in he peaked at the right time with injuries etc.
I also believe Redmond has stayed at a higher level so far this season in terms of consistency than Sterling managed last year, which is a very good sign. Sterling burst on the scene, had a couple very good months then faded a lot. Picked up again this season. What seemed to help him was the competition with Moses. Hopefully Pilks on form and Bennett returning from injury will give Redmond the same boost.

For me if, a big if, pilkington is 100% then he starts.

I''m a fan of Redmond I love his ability to take players on but his shooting/final ball is still not where it should be.

He will be a class class player in a couple of years but I''d like to see pilks/jonas on the left. Redmond as a sub I feel can change a game with his pace in the final 3rd of the match.