Sign in to follow this  
Bill

A bad day for the apologists

Pretty much all of what Hughton has stood for was finally swept away today.No more the sitting off opponents, no more remaining static when we have possession ... we are now even closing down and marking opposing players when they are outside of the box. Even the 89th minute substitutions have been abandoned. Players are attacking in numbers with excellent play by Olsson today.So why the change /Has Hughton had a change of heart and realised that his over coached, stagnant and flawed tactics have failed too many times - or has, as been suggested recently, he has had it laid on the line by board members that things have to change. The unrest amongst players as well as supporters was becoming too loud, as was our dire points total.It should have been obvious to all that there was ''something in the air'' by the constant media attention focussing on Hughtons'' position. Neither McNally''s comments or any player''s public pronouncemnts quelled that interest, because however much the club tries to contain public pronouncements there will always be those who want their views known. Nothing I heard today detracted from what was being said a couple of weeks back - that Hughton had to change the tactics, approach and style of play. Something he actually admitted in the post match interview - heard in the pub amongst a pile of noisy celebrating fans*And they have much to celebrate about, as have the players who are clearly 100% behind this new freedom to play and prove the quality they have. Of course it is a massive smack in the face for the apologists and the ever so umble who have consistently told us that the squad isn''t good enough, it is championship at best and we are a bottom six squad. Today proved them wrong and vindicated the overwhelming majority who have clamoured for the players to be allowed to play.So where now ? I doubt very much if Hughton will be allowed to cast his dead hand across the team again. He as much said so in the interview. Maybe as one chap joked after the game '' all we have to do now is to lock Hughton in the cupboard where they keep the traffic stuff for a week and we have a good chance of beating Villa next week ''.Onwards and upwards

* if anyone has a link to that interview I would love to hear it again - almost up there with the pope admitting that there is no god and religion is all a load of old bo llox

for you -Players played different ........ hooraywas it Hughton... or not ?No, I saidNaughty boardmen did it.... booopoor apologists ........ hisssssplayers are good ........ hurrah

ps perhaps a grown up can find you that interview

Did you actually read any other threads posted tonight?If I think what you are trying to discuss is correct, it has already been discussed.Though, truth be told, I only skip read your post, as its a bit mental.

abit mentalperhaps you would care to tell us all which bitsand maybe I will tell you the sourcesas clearly you are totally out of any reasonable idea what has been going on at Carrow Road

I think he''s trying to be controversial but just coming across as his usual annoying self. Probably just angry Hughton got it spot on.

he may not be my favorite manager but credit where credit is due his team did a fantastic job v spurs deserved their win. we had a bit of good fortune in that they played in europe mid week but took full advantage. We may as well stop the managerial talk for the rest of the season and just get on with it

Well said YC. It was great to see everyone pulling together yesterday and we need that. I''m afraid City 1st and his conspiracy theories are just whistles in the wind. People can try and create divisions and cause mischief, but if we play like we have over the last month for the rest of the season, CR, Colney or anywhere to do with the club will be a happy place.

We got what we deserved yesterday, it has been coming for weeks.

So many positives from the game, the highlight for me being our midfield performance. The Villa game should be a cracker!

[quote user="lake district canary"]Well said YC. It was great to see everyone pulling together yesterday and we need that. I''m afraid City 1st and his conspiracy theories are just whistles in the wind. People can try and create divisions and cause mischief, but if we play like we have over the last month for the rest of the season, CR, Colney or anywhere to do with the club will be a happy place.[/quote]I would agree with that Lakey...but with one proviso. Certainly playing like that for most of the rest of the season is a minimum requirement. Hughton and the team at least owe the fans that. But it''s no good playing well if we do not get the results, particularly away from home. Basically we have to do in March what West Ham have done in Feb. ie play a lot better AND put together a decent string of results....something we have singularly failed to do this season.You never tire of telling us all what a great manager Hughton is, and how the team are motivated by him. Well, the next 4 or 5 weeks will determine whether what you have been saying is true, or hogwash.Oh, and I''ve not missed many matches due to work committments this season. And have witnessed some dross in those games, so you''ll not be surprised that I''m pretty pee-ed off that yesterday was one of those days I could not make it to Carrow Rd!!

I suspect the OP was `a little tired and emotional'' when he wrote this.

The usual nonsense about being `allowed to play''.

The recent upturn in performances has more to do with the return of Tettey who, alongside Johnson, stiffened the midfield and played very well.

By all means complain about CH when we play badly if you must, but you really should try to be more even-handed and fair to the manager when the team plays well.

It might start to give your opinions the merest shred of credibility.

And now we have finally found the reason McNally was emotional after the game yesterday - he knew that coming on the www would be full of idiots and he simply couldn''t take it anymore.

Has City1st even seen Norwich play this season? Has he seen the way Hughton has been doing his nut on occasions because our team wouldn''t push up.

We have played this way before including more recently, and back before we had a number of injuries that reduced his options. It is a very fluid type of formation.

Down as a 4-2-3-1 in some eyes, a 4-5-1 in others. And yet when we have more freedom to get forward you see the likes of Redmond and Snodgrass really pushing to get in and support the lone striker so that it is effectively a 4-3-3 at times.

This is what Hughton has been saying for months.

It is worth noting that he has got it spot in some of the fixtures against the top sides. The Chelsea game earlier in the season where for 80+ minutes we were toe to toe with them and should have got more from the game, Man City where we got a clean sheet and now Spurs who we have nicked points off.

And no negative football in sight, no defensive tactics and no lack of belief from the players. Sure the danger isn''t gone but the team is starting to look like the side we know it can become.

I have said it before and I will say it again - if we can survive this season I think people will see a great improvement from the likes of Fer, RVW, Hooper, Redmond for whom this is their first season in the Premier League.

City 1st dear chap.

You talk a lot of cobblers. There is no conspiricy. The only person picking the team and doing the tactics is our manager. hoots and McNally would not allow it any other way and neither would the players.

It is people like you who are trying, and failing, to whip up an anti manager steam roller on here. He is not going anywhere today, tomorrow and will without a doubt be here next season.

Give it a rest.

Very amusing post by the OP.  The team play really well... obviously that''s a "bad day" for those who''ve supported the manager, and vindicates those who have criticised him.  Err... yes.

So presumably if we play rubbish in the next game, that would be a bad day for those who want Hughton out ?

Are you sure you were at the game City 1st? Sadly I work Sundays so have to content myself with watching live streams for Sunday games and here is what I saw, an entire football club including manager, staff and 25000 Norwich fans all pulling in the same direction. No so called apologists, inners, outers etc, etc just an entire football ground willing our team to a well deserved win with no voices of discontent. Even Snoddy going over to acknowledge the Snake pit at the end nowthat just shows wecwere all as one surely. Then up you pop like a bad smell to try and discredit what was a great day for all involved and I find it very sad that you felt the need.

[quote user="City1st"] abit mental

perhaps you would care to tell us all which bits

and maybe I will tell you the sources

as clearly you are totally out of any reasonable idea what has been going on at Carrow Road

[/quote]

The problem is City 1st that the whole of you OP sounds a bit mental so anything you add to it re your sources and what been going on at Carrow Rd will just seem a bit mental + 1.

[quote user="KeepTheFaith"]City 1st dear chap.

You talk a lot of cobblers. There is no conspiricy. The only person picking the team and doing the tactics is our manager. hoots and McNally would not allow it any other way and neither would the players.

It is people like you who are trying, and failing, to whip up an anti manager steam roller on here. He is not going anywhere today, tomorrow and will without a doubt be here next season.

Give it a rest.[/quote][Y]

We played today like we played against Man City. I said after the Man City game that if we played like that I wouldnt be a Hughton outer. Chris will have my full support if the team continue to play with the freedom, passion and determination they played with in this game. My only concern is that this is a flash in the pan and we will revert to type again.

City1st - You seem to care more about getting one over your perceived enemies, the "apologists" or "inners" - than getting one over Spurs, or anyone else for that matter.

Sometimes I think these message boards are quite unhealthy for the mind, and people get far too wound up and develop real hatred for fans on their own team, such as the people who create fake parody accounts of each other and slag each other off in their signatures. Human nature, I suppose, but it really is ugly to see time I come on here.

I think if you all were chatting in the pub, you''d be pleasant and nice to each other despite whether you think Hughton should go or not, but on here, it''s really ugly.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]We played today like we played against Man City.[/quote]
and West Ham and Cardiff, the performances have always been there, one mistake is all it takes though.
Thankfully Tottenham didn''t punish us when we slipped up yesterday.

Sad that the OP would rather spin a whole load of paranoid garbage than hold his hands up and admit he may have called it wrong.

Whilst I have felt that we missed the opportunity to replace Hughton in January we should have taken I can kind of see where the OP is coming from even if I believe his tongue is firmly in his cheek.

I have complained all season (and last) that Hughtons cautious style generally works well in game like yesterday but often fails badly against teams that we should be targeting for positive results.

I would suggest you will never see a situation where a manager is my culpable than the recent Cardiff & West Ham games.

I believe yesterdays result was absolutely massive and could well be the difference between survival and relegation and if it gives us the confidence to go out and get a result on Sunday that would be the icing on the cake.

I hope that Hughton can learn and change, he has the rest of the season to show us solid positive football and the fact that if the ball is in the opponents penalty box you cannot concede a goal.

Revert to what we have been forced to watch and I would hope not even a dozen more clean sheets should save him.

All sides of the debate seem to agree Chris seems like a generally nice guy and has probably been given more leeway because of this.

We have to be clear a two season transition has to this point shown very little in terms of consistent improvement in overall performance, I keep my fingers crossed that he has either learned that such negativity will eventually lead to failure or that at long last something has started to move forward.

Just admit it Glovey. You simply don''t like him.

I remember you coming on here after the Palace home game claiming to have been happy with the improvement. Since then we have had performances and results typical of a bottom half club in a PL season.

Liverpool (a) Bad performance - Bad result.

WBA (a) Good performence - Good result.

Swansea (h) Reasonable performance - Reasonable result.

Sunderland (a) Reasonable Performance - Reasonable result.

Fulham (h) Poor performance - Bad result.

Man Utd (h) Good performance - Poor result.

Palace (a) Reasonable performance - Reasonable result.

Everton (a) Bad performance - Poor result.

Hull (h) Reasonable performance - Good result.

Newcastle (h) Poor performance - Reasonable result.

Cardiff (a) Reasonable performance - Bad result

Man City (h) Good performance - good result.

W Ham (a) Good performance - Bad result.

Spurs (h) Good performance - Good result.

This is as good as we are. And I''m afraid as good as we can reasonably expect to be. As much as we expect to beat the teams around us they also expect to beat us. By concentrating on the bad performances/results and putting the good ones down to beach/luck/board people are beginning to look a bit silly.

Something I keep a very close eye on is how Hughton''s Norwich compare to Lambert''s Villa. Not to try and put down Lambert''s achievements because he''s a manager I rate very highly. But he''s been at Villa the same time as Hughton''s been here. Anyway they''ve both been at their club''s 21 months and their records read : -

Hughton''s Norwich P65 72Pts

Lambert''s Villa P65 69Pts

My take on that is that they''ve both done well. What''s yours?

[quote user="KeepTheFaith"]City 1st dear chap.

Give it a rest.[/quote]

oh dearnothing new here, but the usual tactic ie  make up something then knock that down rather than deal with what I actually postedplease point out where I said ANYTHING  about conspiracies ............. I did notwhat I did mention was apologists who constantly claimed that our squad was not good enough - you being the main man in that attackand your assertion that we would have to continue with Hughton''s dire and failing tacticsnow clearly those tactics have been abandoned in the last few gamesso why not tell us whyHughton''s decision, or someone elses decision ?

I read the OP twice and still couldn''t make much sense of it...and then I noticed what time it was posted last night.I bet that hangover really hurts City1st. [:D][+o(] [B] [+o(] [<:o)] [+o(]

never mindmaybe a grown up could helpas to hangover, sadly not back at work last night and only just up an hour agoand don''t usually post in my time so will catch you all this eve

ps nice try Lapps, does remove the need to engage in debate