Sign in to follow this  
 Zak Van Burger

Denial Mills.

Whether it was a complete performance or not, the applause was also a show of support to a player clearly struggling and lacking confidence as well as for his contribution to that game.

He wasn''t hiding from the challenge (as others have done in the past) and deserves credit for that.

....and that "running around bit" lead to our goal and only our 20th of the season. The whole team needs lifting and supporting and I think this was a perfectly good way of adding to the already good atmosphere.

[quote user="Kurious Oranj"]Whether it was a complete performance or not, the applause was also a show of support to a player clearly struggling and lacking confidence as well as for his contribution to that game.

He wasn''t hiding from the challenge (as others have done in the past) and deserves credit for that.[/quote]Exactly this.   I think that ovation in itself will help him in his next game for us.   Was persistent in upsetting the Spurs defenders and that persistence ended up with us scoring, so a good contribution to the game.

Mr Mills has not seen much of our games this season. We were far better in both halves than Spurs, we created the better chances.

This was our first game which we really played well, battled and looked like we wanted it!

One thing Mr Mills is very good at is disguising his Norfolk roots when it comes to accent. He has well and truly shaken the Norfolk soil off his boots as regards his speech patterns. Every time I hear him speaking on radio or TV, I try hard to detect the odd "goo" (go) or "he say" etc, anything that might give the game away that he was born in Norwich suburbia, and I fail miserably every time. It seems to me that he would prefer to erase his Norfolk origins from his memory. Oim nart rilly a yookel bor, thet oi ent!

I saw Danny Mills in Norwich, about 10 years ago, Talking loudly on his mobile phone outside Jarrols London street entrancwe...

he finished the call then looked around to see if anyone had been listening to him or noticed who he was... when he realised they werent he put his head down, with a funny look on his face, and walked off...

The busker on the corner had a bigger audience..

I think we must have played in the same team as each other at some point Delta Bravo, and I agree with your sentiments in full.  Fair play to him for making the most of what he had but I think it helped that his dad was well connected at the club.  There were some very useful kids in that year group in local football (I was not quite up with the best of them!!), but it never failed to amaze how far he went when others more talented around him did not.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Kurious Oranj"]FAO purple.

I proudly stood up as RVW came off due to: though clearly shot of confidence and not being able to buy a goal at the moment, he worked his socks off, chased endless ball after endless ball and set the tone for our high pressing which ultimately created the goal and won us the game.

I don''t see anything weird in that at all. Yes he''s a goal scorer but I saw an overall contribution that helped us win the game and I and the majority of the fans wanted to show some appreciation. Was a brilliant example of the fans getting behind the team in these difficult times.[/quote]Agreed, he put in a great shift[Y][/quote]He worked hard enough, but so what? That should be a given. His performance was pretty dire. Apart from the running around bit I didn''t see any "overall contribution". I could understand some muted applause as a kind of gesture of sympathy but a standing ovation for playing as badly as he did still strikes me as weird. [/quote]We''ll agree to disagree.Yes, working hard should be a given for every football player, but that isn''t always the case, is it?He made a big contribution to the team victory, and I think people are rightly giving him credit for not letting his head drop during his goal drought.[/quote]We will, morty. I think this is a generational thing, actually. I was brought up to acknowledge talent and stay politely silent in the face of incompetence. You are obviously part of this boy-band era that has only ever had the latter to applaud...

I''m from the generation that "treats others as we would like to be treated". Accordingly, RvW''s applause was fully justified. It''s is very unfortunate of PC - someone who''s views I''ve normally respected - to make the negative comments that he has towards RvW.

I was also brought up in the generation of where the motivational school of thought believed corporal punishment and public humiliation were the way to breed encouragement in youngsters. Personally, I found it had the opposite effect - how about you PC?

Most people find public acknowledgement of their efforts and achievements rewarding and motivational!

[quote user="Kurious Oranj"]....and that "running around bit" lead to our goal and only our 20th of the season. The whole team needs lifting and supporting and I think this was a perfectly good way of adding to the already good atmosphere.[/quote]

Exactly.  It reminded me of the game at Stoke when RVW competed for a header with two Stoke players with the result that it fell to another City player who slipped it to Howson who then scored. 

RVW gave the two Spurs CBs a much harder time than Adebayor did our CBs, and his closing them down was an important contribution generally in stopping Spurs play the way they like, but stealing the ball and squaring it to Johnson led directly to our goal.

[quote user="Punting Canary"]I think we must have played in the same team as each other at some point Delta Bravo, and I agree with your sentiments in full.  Fair play to him for making the most of what he had but I think it helped that his dad was well connected at the club.  There were some very useful kids in that year group in local football (I was not quite up with the best of them!!), but it never failed to amaze how far he went when others more talented around him did not.[/quote]

Hi Punting,

I remember back to being 14,15,16 and the group of friends I was in just couldn''t believe how far he was getting while others were being turned away. It seemed to snowball, getting selected for schoolboy terms at NCFC, playing for the youth team, then the reserves, getting picked for England Youth at U16''s (I think?) Making his debut away at Luton (again, I think) 1st game of old Div 1 after being relegated from Prem, we kept saying that surely it''d stop anytime soon, someone would realise that he wasn''t all that good. It seemed that he had finally been found out when he wasn''t in the 1st team setup at NCFC for a period, then Curbishley took a chance on him and he never looked back. As we''ve both said, he made himself so much better than he was, he was determined and would be the first to volunteer to put cones out, clean changing rooms at Trowse back in the Keith Webb days. Other kids hated him because he so blatantly didn''t care what others thought of him.

I know some of the boys we all grew up with that couldn''t watch / support England in the WC2002 because of their hate for Danny Mills!!

[quote user="ABC A Basingstoke Canary"]I''m from the generation that "treats others as we would like to be treated". Accordingly, RvW''s applause was fully justified. It''s is very unfortunate of PC - someone who''s views I''ve normally respected - to make the negative comments that he has towards RvW.

I was also brought up in the generation of where the motivational school of thought believed corporal punishment and public humiliation were the way to breed encouragement in youngsters. Personally, I found it had the opposite effect - how about you PC?

Most people find public acknowledgement of their efforts and achievements rewarding and motivational![/quote]ABC, let''s not get into corporal punishment, eh! Moving swiftly on, I wasn''t saying RvW should not have received some applause, but a standing ovation should be reserved for an exceptional performance. It is devalued by being used as some kind of group-hug mass therapy. And RvW is not an amateur or a child. He is a 25-year-old professional who presumably has a pretty good idea what his level of performance was on Sunday.As to my comments on RvW''s performance, I speak as I find. I have seen too much football to bother with sentimentality. As I said elsewhere that was my first look at him, and I was deeply unimpressed. He may be a decent pure goalscorer who could work alongside a really good target man (and if so is unlucky that 4-4-2 is out of fashion) but otherwise he seems to have no qualities whatsoever. I was amazed he was kept on as long as he was.

Just like in music, you need a fair bit of luck as well as talent to make it in football with so many wannabees competing for relatively few places. I believe Gary Lineker is supposed to have said his brother was a better footballer than he ever was!

Agree entirely purple. A standing ovation should be reserved for exceptional performances and RVWs contribution was well short of that.