Sign in to follow this  
 Zak Van Burger

Denial Mills.

Nice article on Ex Norwich player Danny Mills''s dreadful punditry on the main site.

"However, the former-Sprowston High School pupil, said today: “I say it

how I see it, I have done that at Manchester City, Middlesbrough and

Leeds over the seasons."So he did it at Manc City, Middlesboro and Leeds, nowhere else, think about it for a minute Danny.... No definitely just those clubs?  The c0ck seems to have genuinely forgotten where he came from.

Mills clearly didn''t watch the whole game, RVW came off to a standing ovation as a result of his work rate and persistence. Something Mills accused him of lacking, that''s the real issue.

H

I went to school / played football in many of the same teams as Danny Mills at youth level.

As a kid he was a Spurs fan (as it seems were many kids in those days) so might be why his comments gave NCFC no credit.

He was very unpopular as a kid at school mainly because he had a win at all costs mentality and didn''t care who he upset to get what he wanted. He would kick lumps out of his school friends at Norwich Youth training and then expect you to share your crisps with him the next day!

Football ability wise he was no better than average and to be fair to him he made a really good career for himself despite this. He deserves credit for that.

I''m sure he holds some bitterness towards NCFC somewhere, let''s face it his career wasn''t going anywhere fast here and he got a lucky break when Curbishley took a fairly cheap gamble on him to take him to Charlton. He never really looked back after that and was lucky to be around at the ''boom'' of Premier League salaries.

I played alongside much better players than him who should have gone on to much better places than he did.

[quote user="lord montyjones"]Sums up master mills best http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=262838[/quote]That is a most amusing read!

[quote user="lord montyjones"]Sums up master mills best http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=262838[/quote]

Mmm, not nice.

[quote user="haisbrohacker"]Mills clearly didn''t watch the whole game, RVW came off to a standing ovation as a result of his work rate and persistence. Something Mills accused him of lacking, that''s the real issue.

H[/quote]Personally I thought that our attack never really properly got going until Hooper came on and started holding the ball up, linking play and making meaningful runs to cause the Spurs defence problems. RVW''s performance though showing "persistance" was slightly less effective than some of the performances I saw from Aaron Wilbraham in his time here (who depressingly had a better strike rate).

Nice to see it isn''t just us that think he''s a complete berk, they''re not the most polite bunch those Mancunians are they?

Poor Danny, kept out of the team by Daryl Sutch, even after all these years he still carries the scars.

[quote user="Holtcantshoot"][quote user="haisbrohacker"]Mills clearly didn''t watch the whole game, RVW came off to a standing ovation as a result of his work rate and persistence. Something Mills accused him of lacking, that''s the real issue.

H[/quote]Personally I thought that our attack never really properly got going until Hooper came on and started holding the ball up, linking play and making meaningful runs to cause the Spurs defence problems. RVW''s performance though showing "persistance" was slightly less effective than some of the performances I saw from Aaron Wilbraham in his time here (who depressingly had a better strike rate).[/quote]The standing ovation was bizarre. Like an audience applauding an orchestra for playing permanently out of tune. And Mills'' main point was that he doesn''t think van Wolfswinkel has proved to be any good, and that is just stating the unarguable obvious.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Holtcantshoot"][quote user="haisbrohacker"]Mills clearly didn''t watch the whole game, RVW came off to a standing ovation as a result of his work rate and persistence. Something Mills accused him of lacking, that''s the real issue.

H[/quote]Personally I thought that our attack never really properly got going until Hooper came on and started holding the ball up, linking play and making meaningful runs to cause the Spurs defence problems. RVW''s performance though showing "persistance" was slightly less effective than some of the performances I saw from Aaron Wilbraham in his time here (who depressingly had a better strike rate).[/quote]The standing ovation was bizarre. Like an audience applauding an orchestra for playing permanently out of tune. And Mills'' main point was that he doesn''t think van Wolfswinkel has proved to be any good, and that is just stating the unarguable obvious.[/quote]
Unarguable obvious?
Not really... He hasn''t been any good in front of goal, but the rest of his game has been fine.

[quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Holtcantshoot"][quote user="haisbrohacker"]Mills clearly didn''t watch the whole game, RVW came off to a standing ovation as a result of his work rate and persistence. Something Mills accused him of lacking, that''s the real issue.

H[/quote]Personally I thought that our attack never really properly got going until Hooper came on and started holding the ball up, linking play and making meaningful runs to cause the Spurs defence problems. RVW''s performance though showing "persistance" was slightly less effective than some of the performances I saw from Aaron Wilbraham in his time here (who depressingly had a better strike rate).[/quote]The standing ovation was bizarre. Like an audience applauding an orchestra for playing permanently out of tune. And Mills'' main point was that he doesn''t think van Wolfswinkel has proved to be any good, and that is just stating the unarguable obvious.[/quote]
Unarguable obvious?
Not really... He hasn''t been any good in front of goal, but the rest of his game has been fine.
[/quote]GP, he was signed as a goalscorer, and based on the little I''ve seen plus a great deal I''ve read there is no "rest of his game".

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Holtcantshoot"][quote user="haisbrohacker"]Mills clearly didn''t watch the whole game, RVW came off to a standing ovation as a result of his work rate and persistence. Something Mills accused him of lacking, that''s the real issue.

The goal came from his persistence, remember that at the end of the season.

H

[quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Holtcantshoot"][quote user="haisbrohacker"]Mills clearly didn''t watch the whole game, RVW came off to a standing ovation as a result of his work rate and persistence. Something Mills accused him of lacking, that''s the real issue.

Unarguable obvious?
[/quote]His performances in itself have been fine. I think the issue is that what we needed was a target man in the Drogba mold (Wilfried Bony of Swansea a good example of a summer signing in this role) with good physical strength who can bring the ball down, hold off defenders and bring others into play to make the 4-5-1 work well. Unfortunately Mr. Hughton has done the metaphorical equivalent of going out to buy a toaster and coming back with a kettle. You can plug the kettle in and it will work to the manufacturers standards but at no point is it ever going to produce the toast that you actually wanted in the first place.Which is a great shame as the strikers and right back roles aside he''s actually bought very well and put together 9/11ths of a good premier league team. Hopefully that will be rectified in the Summer and the Wolf can move on to a team that actually needed him.

From Ex-Canaries:

He aimed a verbal blast at Carrow Road saying that he had proved them wrong by gaining promotion. This victory was worth an extra £50,000 to City''s bank balance.

Danny blasted his first club Norwich after completing his transfer to Leeds. "Norwich have got double now what they got for me when I left and I''m showing a few people there what I can do. Some people at Norwich were pleased to see the back of me because they didn''t think I was good enough and I''m delighted to prove them wrong. I''ve always had belief in myself ad now I''m playing for a top Premiership club. It took me a long time to get out of Norwich and when I did a lot of people thought I wasn''t good enough for the First Division. I''m glad they are now eating humble pie".

[quote user="Holtcantshoot"][quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Holtcantshoot"][quote user="haisbrohacker"]Mills clearly didn''t watch the whole game, RVW came off to a standing ovation as a result of his work rate and persistence. Something Mills accused him of lacking, that''s the real issue.

Unarguable obvious?
[/quote]His performances in itself have been fine. I think the issue is that what we needed was a target man in the Drogba mold (Wilfried Bony of Swansea a good example of a summer signing in this role) with good physical strength who can bring the ball down, hold off defenders and bring others into play to make the 4-5-1 work well. Unfortunately Mr. Hughton has done the metaphorical equivalent of going out to buy a toaster and coming back with a kettle. You can plug the kettle in and it will work to the manufacturers standards but at no point is it ever going to produce the toast that you actually wanted in the first place.Which is a great shame as the strikers and right back roles aside he''s actually bought very well and put together 9/11ths of a good premier league team. Hopefully that will be rectified in the Summer and the Wolf can move on to a team that actually needed him.[/quote]

Yes indeed! !! Did ask at the time, "why the standing ovation?" ...and a Barclay neighbour dryly replied, "because he going off -and Hooper''s coming on"

FAO purple.

I proudly stood up as RVW came off due to: though clearly shot of confidence and not being able to buy a goal at the moment, he worked his socks off, chased endless ball after endless ball and set the tone for our high pressing which ultimately created the goal and won us the game.

I don''t see anything weird in that at all. Yes he''s a goal scorer but I saw an overall contribution that helped us win the game and I and the majority of the fans wanted to show some appreciation. Was a brilliant example of the fans getting behind the team in these difficult times.

[quote user="Kurious Oranj"]FAO purple.

I proudly stood up as RVW came off due to: though clearly shot of confidence and not being able to buy a goal at the moment, he worked his socks off, chased endless ball after endless ball and set the tone for our high pressing which ultimately created the goal and won us the game.

I don''t see anything weird in that at all. Yes he''s a goal scorer but I saw an overall contribution that helped us win the game and I and the majority of the fans wanted to show some appreciation. Was a brilliant example of the fans getting behind the team in these difficult times.[/quote]Agreed, he put in a great shift[Y]

The comments about RvW didn''t really offend me if i''m honest, I think he was close to making a few valid points, but a little misinformed.

What did really annoy me was his snipe at McNally, he had not come out and slated the manager at all, and the players certainly didn''t look affected by it to me!

I''m not quite sure what goes on at MOTD, but i presume they have some very Prawn sandwiches, have their make up splattered on, and printed sheets are flung under their noses so the ''pundits'' can pick out certain ''headline'' points…Then it''s case of the editing team to work backwards through the highlights to find 2-3 instances to prove the points being made.

If the players were shouting for the ball he would probably say we were playing as individuals because of the ''issues'' between board and manager, and go on to highlight players like Wes losing the ball etc. to prove the point.

Oh, i don''t know… In fairness it''s probably quite a tough job to be fair. You''re always gonna upset thousands.

Danny Mills should not be allowed anywhere near MOTD after that.  Not only did he get the result wrong, instead of focusing on what won us the game, he focused on something that was pretty much irrelevant to the outcome of the match.  I think this had been planned beforehand when it would have been we expected to lose the match and they would focus on why we lost the game, but HELLO! we won the game.   The people in charge of MOTD should have been cringing at that.  Preconceived, badly thought out, badly executed, demonstating a lack of respect for a team that deservedly won a match.  Sorry, Danny. Not good enough. Again.

[quote user="Skijumptoes"]The comments about RvW didn''t really offend me if i''m honest, I think he was close to making a few valid points, but a little misinformed.

What did really annoy me was his snipe at McNally, he had not come out and slated the manager at all, and the players certainly didn''t look affected by it to me!

I''m not quite sure what goes on at MOTD, but i presume they have some very Prawn sandwiches, have their make up splattered on, and printed sheets are flung under their noses so the ''pundits'' can pick out certain ''headline'' points…Then it''s case of the editing team to work backwards through the highlights to find 2-3 instances to prove the points being made.

If the players were shouting for the ball he would probably say we were playing as individuals because of the ''issues'' between board and manager, and go on to highlight players like Wes losing the ball etc. to prove the point.

Oh, i don''t know… In fairness it''s probably quite a tough job to be fair. You''re always gonna upset thousands.[/quote]

It''s not a tough job really, is it?

Mills is supposed to be ( by the fact he has been offered a place on MoTD) one of the ''experts''. That would be fine if he reported the facts. The problem here is that we, Uncle Tom Cobley and all, who actually watched the game, saw a completely different game to Mills.

The reaction he is getting on Twitter etc, I can''t recall happening before, with other pundits, so makes his perspective, a reflection on ''his'' analysis, and ultimately, reputation as said ''expert''.

Very well put LDC, could not agree more.

As its the BBC somehow it grates even more than listening to some sort of plonker like Adrian Durham on a commercial radio station. Mills is being paid by the licence fee payer and as such you''d like to think there was a bit more responsibility to do the job right, be professional and provide useful and insightful comment.

Quite how Mills has managed to find himself this type of roll is a completely mystery to me, there are many better equipped former players than him to sit in the MOTD studio.

If we are talking former Yellas then Paul McVeigh is infinitely better at this type of work, id like to say head and shoulders better but that could be misconstrued

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Kurious Oranj"]FAO purple.

I don''t see anything weird in that at all. Yes he''s a goal scorer but I saw an overall contribution that helped us win the game and I and the majority of the fans wanted to show some appreciation. Was a brilliant example of the fans getting behind the team in these difficult times.[/quote]Agreed, he put in a great shift[Y][/quote]He worked hard enough, but so what? That should be a given. His performance was pretty dire. Apart from the running around bit I didn''t see any "overall contribution". I could understand some muted applause as a kind of gesture of sympathy but a standing ovation for playing as badly as he did still strikes me as weird.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Kurious Oranj"]FAO purple.

I don''t see anything weird in that at all. Yes he''s a goal scorer but I saw an overall contribution that helped us win the game and I and the majority of the fans wanted to show some appreciation. Was a brilliant example of the fans getting behind the team in these difficult times.[/quote]Agreed, he put in a great shift[Y][/quote]He worked hard enough, but so what? That should be a given. His performance was pretty dire. Apart from the running around bit I didn''t see any "overall contribution". I could understand some muted applause as a kind of gesture of sympathy but a standing ovation for playing as badly as he did still strikes me as weird. [/quote]We''ll agree to disagree.Yes, working hard should be a given for every football player, but that isn''t always the case, is it?He made a big contribution to the team victory, and I think people are rightly giving him credit for not letting his head drop during his goal drought.

I think that RVW''s best game for us was Chelsea at home, unfortunately it was followed by his injury and long lay off, I thought Sundays performance was him getting back to that form.

I agree with Morty on this. I don’t think there is any doubt that RVW has found it difficult to adjust from the Portuguese league to the Premier league and being out of action for three months effectively de-railed his season and his fitness regime. However, I am confident that he has real striker quality and will come good next season. In the meantime, his tirelss efforts and his relentless chasing down of opposition players is highly credit worthy and, vitally, it was his tenacity that won the ball that seconds later resulted in our goal.